Banned
62,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Democracy is the train you ride until you reach your destination"

What does this phrase mean to you?

·
Registered
534 Posts
That a person only pursues something through the democratic process as far as it relates to their personal/private interests.

Or that they are scared of flying:dunno:

·
TelecasterJones
229 Posts
If democracy is the train, what's the destination? There is none. We use a (ahem...) representative republican form of government to (I know, a quaint old fashioned notion) limit the power of our government from constant threats to freedom. Guarding liberty never ends.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If democracy is the train, what's the destination? There is none. We use a (ahem...) representative republican form of government to (I know, a quaint old fashioned notion) limit the power of our government from constant threats to freedom. Guarding liberty never ends.
Do democracy and liberty walk hand in hand?

·
Banned
19,326 Posts
To me it means Democracy is something you believe in until you are content and satisfied with the level of freedom you have. So, if you are wanting entitlements financed by someone else (like SS) and you are comfortable with the loss of freedom and taxes that entails, you "get off" the train at that point.

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Well since generally the end point for a Democracy is some form of Fascism or Communism... time to get off that train and back onto the train of a Constitutional Republic.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Democracy sounds like a really great idea... until we've ridden it long enough, and get what a popular vote always leads to.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you're interested in seeing how these people think and what they are working tirelessly (with a partner in the White House) to achieve, check out Wade's blog:

http://chieforganizer.org/

If you read nothing else, scroll down to his post on the Egypt situation.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That Democracy is a temporary form of government and transitions into something else. Hopefully, a Republic, like we have.
We do have a constitutional republic but not as originally designed. What we have now teeters much more closely to unfettered democracy thanks to things like the 17th Amendment.

·
Raven
12,747 Posts
We do have a constitutional republic but not as originally designed. What we have now teeters much more closely to unfettered democracy thanks to things like the 17th Amendment.
Sounds to me like we're at risk of transitioning into a different kind of government, then.

I think a lot of Americans share this sentiment at the moment.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts