close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dell tech support

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Alchemy, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

It's my understanding that if you buy business class, you will get
    American tech support. Not someone in India or the phillipines?

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

2. spilfdotcom9021

spilfdotcom9021

Yup, Tech Support for Small Business and Medium/Large Business are in the U.S.A. All tech supports (whether from Arkansas, India, etc) read the same script that they use for troubleshooting. Do you really think Bubba or Junior from Arkansas would be better than Abdul or Jamar from India in troubleshooting your computer issue? Be aware that the only requirement to work for some of these call centers is to have a pulse. For some, it's just a matter of the customers' attitude that they think they are "higher/better" than the tech support persons who are from outside the U.S.A. FYI, I've never had any problem with Dell Tech Support whether they're from India or wherever. YMMV!

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

If you have problems with the US support they may still be able to put you through to India to get some serious help.

4. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Do you want the problem fixed or do you prefer to be offended? :upeyes:

I've dealt with DELL for nigh on 15 years and have always had great service. Yes, some folks have an accent, so I should hang up and have a malfunctioning workstation secure in the knowledge that ... what? That I sure showed them ferriners?

I do business all over the world. No one ever hung up on me becuase of my Texas twang.

edited to add: I'll just sit back and wait for the Apple parrots. :supergrin:

5. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

The fact that I have to use their support so often is why I am finished with Dell.

6. spilfdotcom9021

spilfdotcom9021

Funny, I never had any major issues with my Dell computers. For some, it's easier to blame the computer than to admit it's operator error. YMMV

7. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I hate Dell...but sadly, this statement is very true :(

8. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

Yea. And everytime I get on my Gateway I suddenly get smarter. Must be the company. :banana: :animlol: :banana: :animlol:

9. spilfdotcom9021

spilfdotcom9021

I also have two Gateway desktops at home and never had any major issues. I've owned generic computers and never had any major issues. You can blame it on the computers as much as you want, bottom line is, some people should not be allowed to use computers. :tongueout:

10. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

I have no intention of having any problems with US support, because
    the desktop that I purchased last week was for home not business.

I was asking this question for a friend. It never amazes me though how someone always jumps in with a smart *** remark.

11. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I know that wasn't really directed at me. But, just like to clarify that my remark was not towards you at all. I am sure we have all probably fixed minor problems for friends/relatives that are just inexperienced on compys and this is what I was referring to.

For the most part, the tech board here at Glocktalk is VERY good and I have learned a LOT from several peeps here. Please don't let this keep you from posting other questions here ;)

12. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

It's seems popular for some people to bash big companies,like Dell,MS,Norton and Walmart, as somehow being "unfair".Don't let the Dell-haters get to you.I usually get an American at Dell saupport.I've heard about their overseas outsourcing but I haven't had anybody claim to be overseas.What's more common is some countries such as India had too many people with IT degrees and the American companies found that it's cheaper to train people overseas and bring them to America to work than to train Americans in America.In order to do this they claim that they can't find enough Americans to fill the jobs.IBM is famous for this and before India IBM was hiring people from Hong Kong.

13. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Set up a point-of-sale system for my friend's restaurant. The back office PC spec'ed out by the software company was a Dell ordered by the software company and shipped to us directly from Dell. When the Dell PC came, it was missing a card needed for the network. The card was listed on the invoice, was just omitted.

Called Dell tech support and spoke with a woman from Cali. She took the info and offered to connect me with the person who could help. You guessed it, I was transferred offshore. Very difficult to understand the tech person due to her heavy Indian(?) accent and she kept insisting that I needed to provide the sku number even though she had the order on the screen infront of her. Lost my temper, said some things, am sure that there is still a Hindu death squad out there gunning for me...

14. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Usually the death squads are called off when tech support expires.I was once stuck in traffic when I saw a group of them at the Quickie Mart in the drive-thru.I turned accross the median strip and headed in the other direction.Had I been in the other lane I would have had to make my get-away on the sidewalk.

15. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I've got 15+ Dells in my small business, and they've been very good. I've had one bad video card (not a Dell part), and one bad fan), both covered under warranty.

Called in on the Video Card, and got a US support rep. Terrible, terrible US 'urban' accent. I could barely understand him, and I've worked overseas and with non-native speakers of English for most of my professional life.

We eventually got a new card on the way, but Oh, my!

I found myself wishing for one of those folks from India, with the cute accents, and some realk knowledge of the product.

That said, Dell's support and machines have been outstanding overall. Two calls in 30-ish 'machine years' seems minimal to me.

Interestingly, both calls were on Desktop machines, even though I generally regard laptops as being more likely to fail.

16. ajkahr

ajkahr

If you purchase the "metal" levels of support contracts, you always get someone in Round Rock, TX.

Right HERE

Bronze, Silver, or Gold. You will always get knowledgeable people. That being said, I stopped placing million dollar server orders with Dell a long time ago.

I buy HP now. They actually design most of their own hardware, not just outsource it and slap the logo on it...

17. -gunut-

-gunut-

You want bad CS/system?

Get an Alienware. That company left a bad taste in my mouth and I will never go back. I would not recommend their products to anyone. No operator error here. Just a bunch of faulty hardware and no support...

18. painkiller

painkiller

i second that with alienware.it's all over their support forums and all.after buying one used and my dog coming in the room and hitting the power cable while it was in my laptop and shorting out the motherboard,they wouldnt warranty it.i didnt mention the whole dog part but they wouldnt touch it on their dime.call for tech support and your waiting a very loooooooong time.if they do repair something from what i hear its weeks upon weeks for returning it.i hope that company gets a.....(not gonna post what i think,sorry)

19. Altaris

Altaris

That parking lot sure looks a lot smaller from above. It feels like my walk into the building is a lot farther than that :)

And you are right....get free support, you get the quality of free support. Pay for the upgrade and it will be worth it if you need it.