close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dell Refurbs..?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Romadoc, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Romadoc

Romadoc

Thinking of getting a Dell refurb. Any thoughts on these. Also, just what is a DVD-ROM. Is this preferable to CD-RW?

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

I've had really good luck with the lease returns from Dellauction.com. The ones on the Dell.com site are overpriced for what you get. Often you can get new ones for less when they're on sale.

Note, the above applies to laptops. I don't now and never will own a Dell desktop type, but I imagine their refurbs are about as reliable as a new one.

As for DVD-ROM... it's a DVD reader, and read only. CD-RW is a CD writer. If you have a need to read DVDs, the a bare CD-RW won't work, and a DVD-ROM won't write anyhing. A lot of the newer Dells have combo DVD-ROM and CD-RW in one drive, and the newest one have DVD-RWs.

3. Alex_Knight

Alex_Knight

Romadoc, we have a place in town that sells used computers.

At first I thought it was weird tht people would actually buy these things, until I realized that they do what I do. Upgrade the RAM, HARD Drive and Graphics Card.

You would be amazed at the boost in performance on a 2 GHz P4 you can get by doing these three things, and it doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg.

I took an old 2.0 GHz HP Pavillion and upgraded it and now it's a gaming machine. (keep in mind I put an expensive PCI graphics card in it.) And it's been running like a top. And it didn't cost me $1500. :)

And sometimes, a fresh Win XP Install will give you the appearance of a speed boost as well.

As far as Dell goes, I used to buy Dell until I started building my own. I never had any problems with my Dells. In fact, my main file server for the office is a Dell.

Upgrade costs:

1 Gig of Memory (DDR400) = $70 +/-

300 GB Hard Drive(7200 RPM) = $100 +/-

PCI Graphics Card (256MB) = $75 +/-

4. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

For a desktop I'd say I may consider it. As for laptops, I wont buy another dell laptop. Since I just built my gaming rig I should be good for another 3-4 years, and I do NOT plan on buying another dell. Oh and my gaming rig came in at just shy of 2400.