Dell DJ or IPOD

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Romadoc, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Romadoc

Romadoc

I'm thinking of getting one of these both as a travel companion and/or a means of backing up my music. Opinions would be welcome, especially from owners.

2. chrismartin

chrismartin

I have an iPod, a coworker has a DJ. I prefer the interface of the iPod. It's very easy to navigate and the integration with iTunes is simply amazing. The DJ is a little cheaper and depending on the model of iPod may have longer battery life. I'd buy another iPod though if I had to. The iPod is very simple to operate, no extra buttons all over the place, it's got a ton of accessories and just plain works.

ETA: I've had my iPod for around 2 years now. No problems. I have the 2nd gen iPod, 20GB. My girlfriend has a gen 3. The new iPods are amazingly small, especially the mini, but it doesn't have a large enough HD for me.

3. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

They just came out with a 2gen mini.....6gb... up from 4gb.

Now is the right time to buy an IPOD, they just reorganized their line and resultant price changes. Prices should be stable for about 6 months or so.

Since apple price fixes there's really no such thing as a "good deal"; the retailers margins on the actual pod are so small that they really cant beat the other guys price by more than a few dollars. I guess they're suposed to make their money on accessories. I found that with the ipods you're better off shopping the extended warranty (price vs. coverage vs. length). The apple has the same kind of battery as a cell phone, and, like a cell phone, it will loose its ability to hold a full charge. Word is that its about 300 full charge cycles. Call it 2400 hours total play time. Replacing a battery costs $60 bucks or so (a little less if you DIY). So if you think you'll use it that much inside the warranty period, the extended warranty is not a bad idea, particularly for something that has a high potential for getting banged around. Ipodlounge.com has good reasearch threads.

4. JMag

JMag

There are iPods and then...there's the rest.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Aren't the HP's just renamed Ipods that can be bought for less?

6. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Scuttlebut is that the HP/Apple cooperative is done. But the HP Ipods are just a regular 20gb pod with different "HP" engraving.

7. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman a.k.a. DaReaper

I got my wife a 4GB ipod for her birthday in January. She loves it!!! She has a co-worker that got a Dell about the same time. It's already been sent back for problems.

8. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

I have the 20 gig dell dj, i like the ipod interface better, both the unit and the itunes, but the dj was quite a bit cheaper.

9. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

True.

I have the 4th generation 40gig. I have all my music stored on it. I put my CD's in storage.

I bought a dock to hook it to my home stereo.

I really enjoy it at work. Blocks out all the distractions.

10. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

The Dell Jukebox is a good product, but the iPod is the BEST. There are so many iPod options available it will make your head spin. There's even the new iPod Shuffle. It's litterally the size of a pack of Wrigley's gum (the $0.25 ones...or maybe they're $0.29 now) and seem to weigh less than air. Of course there are drawbacks. Firstly, there is no screen. You kind of just have to listen to the first part of a track, or know the track order, to know what song you want to listen to. However, this is where the "Shuffle" kicks in. It's got a shuffle mode (random) that just mixes up the tracks and plays them in a random order. It's really designed to hold the songs you like alot and can listen to over and over. Secondly, there are only two sizes: 512 Mb and 1 gig. While it nowhere touches the other iPods, it can hold, theoretically, 50 or more tracks (at an average of 6 Mb/song). My friend just got one and brings it to school everyday. The thing has amazing sound quality, to say the least. It's unbelievable how small it is yet how high quality it is. Best of all the 512 is only $99 and the 1 gig is only $150.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Apple.com states that the 512 can hold up to 120 tracks, and the 1 gig up to 240. That's an average of about 4 Mb/track. Also, now that I think about it, lack of a screen is no different than an ordinary CD player. You can just print out a track list if you want a certain track, although the Shuffle doesn't have any kind of display to tell you the track number, but oh well.

11. Mikey Glockster

Mikey Glockster Police Trainee

I agree with everyone, iPod is the best. HP does make the iPod, and I'm pretty sure prices have come down recently.

12. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=840 Friday, January 14, 2005

HP halts orders for Apple's iPod music players

By Kasper Jade
    Published: 11:30 AM EST

Exclusive: Hewlett-Packard, which recently entered into a strategic alliance with Apple to deliver HP-branded versions of the iPod under name 'iPod+ HP', has stopped placing orders for the digital music players with Apple Computer, AppleInsider has learned.

Hewlett-Packard is reportedly quarreling with Apple over a lack of price protection offered with the iPods it manufacturers through the Mac maker, possibly explaining why the two companies have yet to set a date for the rollout of the HP-branded iPod photo.

Without a set price protection policy from Apple, HP will be vulnerable to sudden iPod price cuts that would leave it biting the full cost of those reductions. Apple currently offers HP no price protection, whatsoever, on the two models it currently sells.

"I find it striking that even a company that is larger than Apple, and has better distribution channels, can’t get anywhere with them in terms of protection of their business model in the event that price drops take place down the road," said one reseller.

As a result of the dispute, HP has reportedly refused to place any further orders for Apple's iPod. "HP won’t re-order manufacturing until Apple is willing to sit down at the table and agree to something that’s reasonable for both parties," a source close to the company said.

During Apple's Q1 2005 financial conference call on Wednesday, Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said that HP-branded iPods accounted for only 7% of the 4.58 million iPods sold during Apple's December quarter. Curiously, this figure rose just one percent from the previous quarter, even though both parties vouched that the December quarter would be marked by an increased presence of HP's iPod offerings.

HP's online store is currently out of stock of the 20GB iPod and retains only a limited supply of the 40GB iPod. Sales representatives for HPShopping.com confirmed that they ran out of 20GB iPods about a week ago and do not expect new shipments anytime soon.

Representatives from HP failed to return repeated phone calls for comment over the past 48 hours.

Apple Computer has a long standing policy of not communicating with AppleInsider, and hence declined to comment.