close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dell CPt laptop will not boot. HELP!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by chevydriver, Sep 30, 2004.

1. chevydriver

chevydriver

Hello.

Been using this laptop for a couple of years with almost no problems. I took it to a friends house today and used it for a while with no problems. Turned the maching off ith the onscreen prompt. Placed it in the laptop bag I have been using for a year. Carried it to my truck, placed it on the front seat. Came home. Removed it from the case and plugged it in.

It will not boot. The main paower light comes on, all 4 lights across the top of the keyboard begin flashing for 15 seconds or so. Then it powers off never showing anything on screen. Changed to a second power supply, same thing. Tried to start is on the battery, same thing.

Thought maybe the hard drive died. Removed hard drive, no difference.

Checked ram stick, good and tight, still no difference.

I am not sure how to take the case apart to check inside or what look for if I get it open.

Any suggestions before I shoot it? :) Not able to afford a new laptop right now so that is out.

Thanks,

2. get2now

get2now Yowsa!!!

A couple suggestions. Call Dell support and see if they can walk you through any steps to correct it.
    I had a very similar problem with my Latitude CPx early this year. It turned out to be the motherboard. Well, mofo.. okay now what... Did a fairly extensive internet search and came up with Notebooks R Us. They specialize in Dell. Got mine for a little over a hundred dollars.

As far as getting inside it's pretty simple just go slow and use common sense when opening. But, there really won't be anything inside that you can look at to see if something is wrong unless you dropped it from 4 or 5 feet high. Then you might find something loose but there'd probably be too many other things wrong with it anyway.
    I took mine apart to change the mobo and that was the first time I'd ever had a laptop apart. It's really not too big of a deal just don't go poking around with screwdrivers.
    Oh, and another thing Christian Ordoñez: 813.671.6588 at Notebooks was extremely helpful.
    Good luck

3. nothing

nothing Advertisement

If you have it connected to a port replicator or docking station try removing it.

Remove the battery and powersupply then hold the power button for 15 seconds. Then plug it back in and try again.

If that doesn't work it could be a motherboard problem.