GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
As a former cop that was in charge of writing the training briefs on CCW encounters for hundreds of officers... I will say this. No cop cares about your kids knowing you have firearms. That's your problem. That's like saying I don't want my kids to know I have a warrant. Well, surprise !! Daddy is going to jail in handcuffs.

Rather than worrying about the cops telling the kids that daddy has a gun, maybe you should just tell the kids that daddy has a gun? Just get it out of the safe, bring them over, explain the safety rules, let them handle it (unloaded) and be safe about it. They will QUICKLY lose interest and not care anymore. I have a standing rule in my household that the kids can look at and touch any gun in my safe, any time they want to, as long as daddy is around. They just dont care or have any interest. It removes the curiosity about them.

So no, no cop is going to have a magic handshake, two eye winks, and a secret "code" to protect your kids from knowing that daddy has a gun.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is the OP for real?

My kid is 6 and he has known I carry for his whole life. I teach him why I do and how to be safe with firearms. He knows the 4 safety rules and how to handle guns. Well, his BB gun for now.

OP, your kids already know you carry I am sure. Kids see and hear everything.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
My children knew, however there are a multitude of reasons why some parents may not want their young children to know they carry:
1) Your children are friends with coworkers' or boss' children and you carry at work against employer's policy.
2) Same for church.
3) Not wanting your children revealing you carry socially.
4) Less likely a thief will know you have guns in your home.
5) Mouthy child may give away your tactical advantage in a possible defensive situation.
6) And the "helpful child", "daddy that sign says no guns".
I wanted to like this reply more than once. Exactly what I was thinking. Plus public school attendance where kids are manipulated to out their parents.

·
Quick! Duck!
2,819 Posts
Don't speak in ambiguities to cops. Nobody reads your mind nor do they like feeling like they are being given the runaround. Honesty with your kids is always a good thing, too. Maybe this isn't about protecting the kids from the truth as much as it is about protecting you from having an uncomfortable conversation with them.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,406 Posts
“Officer, I want you to know I have a CCW and am currently utilizing it, on my person. My k i d s don’t know about the g u n. Please, don’t mention it where they can hear”

There’s no guarantee it will work, but it’s about the only thing you can try that isn’t going to raise a bunch of red flags or get ignored. I’ll read a note, but not while I’m standing by the stopped vehicle.

If they are old enough to know what you spelled, you’ve already missed the bus on teaching them about basic firearms safety.

Reactions: Dukeboy01 and -JCN-

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I've carried concealed for 33 years , That's as long as we have had children old enough to have friends over or go to K school and at all the traffic stops I been caught up in over the years and one speeding ticket I always opened with - Officer I am a legal concealed carrier with hands on the upper left side of the steering wheel fingers open . Those that asked were I carried and not all did were told its carried at 3:00 and my wallet is on my left side . Most times wallet is pulled license shown and on down the road with children in the car most times when they were young . I've only been asked to get out of my vehicle one time so I but never had my handgun removed by an officer and rarely did I look like a clean cut citizen !! Our children learned to shoot at 6 years of age and there kid friends were around same age and raised like ours . Both of our daughters got there concealed carry license when 21 and now practice at there homes .

Maybe the OP should go down to the local LE front counters and ask if he should talk in " code " when stopped do to the handgun he carry's when with his children . Yea thats it , ask the real officers what code talk they prefer ?

·
Previously G48 OEM Guy
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks to all who replied. Everyone's reply was helpful. Looks like honesty and transparency is the best policy, for the safety of officers, carriers and the kids. Appreciate all your advice!

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
My children knew, however there are a multitude of reasons why some parents may not want their young children to know they carry:
1) Your children are friends with coworkers' or boss' children and you carry at work against employer's policy.
2) Same for church.
3) Not wanting your children revealing you carry socially.
4) Less likely a thief will know you have guns in your home.
5) Mouthy child may give away your tactical advantage in a possible defensive situation.
6) And the "helpful child", "daddy that sign says no guns".
Kind of what I was thinking. My kids know, and they know it’s a touchy subject for some people so they shouldn’t discuss it with others. I think I started carrying when our youngest was about 7, and I can understand why someone with younger children wouldn’t trust them to understand when not to bring it up and why.

I will parrot the advice given, drive like the rules of the road actually mean something. It drives my wife crazy that I come to full stops and keep it to 2-3 over, but as I tell her, I am in too big of a hurry to spend 15 minutes getting a ticket.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
As a former cop that was in charge of writing the training briefs on CCW encounters for hundreds of officers... I will say this. No cop cares about your kids knowing you have firearms. That's your problem. That's like saying I don't want my kids to know I have a warrant. Well, surprise !! Daddy is going to jail in handcuffs.

Rather than worrying about the cops telling the kids that daddy has a gun, maybe you should just tell the kids that daddy has a gun? Just get it out of the safe, bring them over, explain the safety rules, let them handle it (unloaded) and be safe about it. They will QUICKLY lose interest and not care anymore. I have a standing rule in my household that the kids can look at and touch any gun in my safe, any time they want to, as long as daddy is around. They just dont care or have any interest. It removes the curiosity about them.

So no, no cop is going to have a magic handshake, two eye winks, and a secret "code" to protect your kids from knowing that daddy has a gun.
Great advice about demystifying firearms. Plus they will know what to do or what not to do if they ever run across an unsecured firearm, perhaps at a friend’s house.

·
Registered
27,792 Posts
Don't violate the rules of the road so you won't be stopped, and it's a moot point. Avoid convoluted entanglements of this nature. ;)

Reactions: ranger1968

·
Registered
318 Posts
I can remember when I was a tot my dad slinging the belt of the leather rig with his ruger Blackhawk in it over his shoulder then picking me up with the same arm and down the sidewalk we would go. Once we got to the truck he would open the door and I would jump across to the middle of the seat where I would stand up and hang on to the gun rack that was behind me in the rear window. He’d roll the belt around the holster of the Blackhawk and set it in the seat by my feet and away we’d go. Some of the best times... I miss them.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The more kids know about guns the more they won't be inquisitive about them. It's dumb to hide them from your kids it just makes it harder later. Teach them early and then there are less concerns that they will be shocked or whatever is your concern.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If your kids don't know you carry how do you have the talk about what happens if the SHTF. I had that conversation very early with my kids. It went something like there may be a day when I tell you to do something that may not make sense to you just do it and we can talk about it later. In my opinion if you are going to carry around your kids they need some low level plan to keep them safe, Don't need to scare them.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I’m not here to judge the OP. He’s got his reasons.

All with both hands in view of course try handing your DL first, then CCW license second with a quick descriptive statement of location. Inside waistband holster 4:00, right front jacket pocket in a holster, etc. The officer might put that all together. Or they might not. Be prepared to be outed.

·
Matthew 25:31-46
3,656 Posts
I live in a must inform state. Simply say "OFFICER, I HAVE A LICENCED CONCEALED CARRY IN THE CAR". His move next.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Bitter American
439 Posts
Just tell the officer that you've got a 9 millimeter projectile launcher on your person and have a permit to do so. Seriously, don't keep it a secret from the kids it will just create more problems in the future.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts