Dehydrator beef jerky

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by dubltap, Oct 22, 2005.

1. dubltap

dubltap

My brother in law just gave me a Nesco dehydrator but it has no instructions. The temp control goes to 145*f and it is the model with the fan. Anyone know how long it take to do beef jerky?

2. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

First step when dealing with a product, is to go straight to the manufacturer.:)

On Nesco's website, find "your model", click the link, and the "user" manual are in PDF Format on the bottom of the page..

The manual in PDF format goes into detail on how to, and how long to dry just about anything..

http://www.nesco.com/products/?category=300

Here's some text I pasted from the user manual from one of the models..:

6. Dry meats in your Nesco American Harvest dehydrator. Depending on meat thickness, dehydrator load and humidity, it will take from 4 to 15 hours to dry. However, other brand dehydrators may take longer to dry nd additional care must be used.

3. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Oh, boy. Jerky. I loves me some jerky.

It depends on how thick you cut it. I cut it quite thin, but not thin enough that it ends up crispy like potato chips. I like some chew. Freeze it partway. It'll be easier to slice. Notice I said PARTWAY. Don't forget it in there, or it'll go from easier to slice to impossible to slice in a matter of an extra hour or two.

Anyway, assuming you already have a good marinade recipie, (if not, I'll give you one if you ask).
    After the meat is sliced, soak it in your marinade. 12 hours at least. Lay out in single layers on your trays, not quite touching each other. Stack the trays up and go on about your busniness. I'd go a little under the 145 degrees. Maybe 135-140.

After about 6 hours or so, pull it all apart and examine. The stuff down low, close to the heat source/fan will be dryer than whats up top. Rotate the trays to even the balance of things so they all dry at a somewhat even rate. Rotate every couple of hours. And keep an eye out. When you start having pieces that are ready, pull them and put them in a zip lock bag. When I do it, it's not batch 1, batch 2. It's a constant rotation. When some is ready, I pull it and replace it with raw meat. You should be able to start pulling out select thin pieces after 12-14 hours or so. Less if it's super thin.
    It's sounds like a lot of work and watching. But after the meat is cut and in the marinade, the other steps only take 2-5 minutes to do. The rest is just remembering to get up from watching MASH re-runs to rotate and check your jerky.

One more thing. Get VERY LEAN meat. A lesser quality for a roast is a better quality for jerky. The fat marbling that makes a roast juicy and delicious, makes jerky go rancid faster. The outer layer of fat is fine, that gets trimmed. I don't remember for sure, but I think I use top round. Maybe bottom. I'd know it if I saw it.

Have fun.

Who'd have thought that my longest post on GT would end up being about beef jerky. Just goes to show: You can put a gun in a fat guys hand, but you can't take the lingering thoughts about food from his mind

4. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Wow, mine is fanless. The fan sure speeds things up. So follow my advice, but start checking sooner :)
    Turn it down another 5 degrees from what I said too. I don't think you want it to dry out too fast.

5. dubltap

dubltap

LOL, Hey thanks.
    I bought 8# of london broil for the jerky and it marinating right now. So I will do the deed tomorrow. Thanks for the info.;)

6. tat2guy

tat2guy NRA Life Member Silver Member

If you leave it too long and it freezes solid, you can easily slice it on a bandsaw!

Make sure that before you do, you ask someone, "Hey, ya know how to make a cow sound like a cat?" then throw it on the saw- Meeeeeeeeoooooooooowwwww!