Glock Talk banner
881 - 900 of 1,328 Posts
I just read through this entire thread over the course of the week... On my iPhone. I don't have a computer or land line Internet... And I'm not saving for it either, I'm saving for my Kentucky CCDW and more .40 ammo. It's $135 or so and I have to save for that. I just lost my dad and inherited a Benelli B76 9mm. Didn't like the nonexistence of parts for it. So I sold it, added $25 to the proceeds and picked up a very gently used Ex-LE Gen3 G22.

Even though my dad lived 650 miles from me, I sort of lost my rock, my security. I know it's all in my head but it's made me realize I have to be able to defend myself and my family. I keep a shotgun at home but nothing while I'm out. It hit me that most likely if anything goes down, it won't be a home invasion it would happen when I'm out, where I wouldn't have my gun on me.

So anyway, even though I don't have my CCDW yet, I'm saving for it. Without my father I finally feel as unsafe as I actually am...

I'm still reading my way through the whole thread. But I figured, I'd give my eyes a break and actually mention why I got my permit. Nothing exciting but oh well... Sorry if it gets lengthy.

I've always liked guns, my dad was a big gun buff. Owning quite a few in his days. Since my folks separated when I was younger, I didn't see dad much, but he ALWAYS took me shooting when I did.

Fast forward to about a month ago. My father passed, and made it a point to make sure his 2 pistols were given to me and my older brother (his only children). My brother, being the older one. Took the super nice, super expensive 1911 Kimber. And left me the ("cheaper"), Gen2 Glock 22. What my brother didn't know was that this Glock was our fathers FAVORITE gun. And I fell in love with it. It was at this point that I decided to adopt this gun as my own.

So while in the hotel room (he lived in New Mexico). I started to do some researching into how get the gun back to South Dakota, where I lived. Wasn't really looking into Conceal Carry or Open Carry at the time. Among the many websites (this one included), I came across A LOT of information on Open Carry and Concealed Carry. And why people do it (ideals, traumatic events, family, etc) and somewhere along the way, I decided, I was blind to the 2nd Amendment and what it meant/stood for. And didn't want to be. So I started in on that and eventually found my way to my states Carry laws. And the decision was made.

No one should be made to feel scared or victimized. And this is just my one small step to make sure I never am.

Edit: I feel as though I should mention, I don't actually Conceal Carry the G22. It's a big gun. Which is why I'm saving up for a G27. I just have the Permit right now so I can transport it to and from the range without worrying about anything.

I live in quiet Vermont and I have not left my house without a firearm since August 11'. In August a close family friend who worked as a supervisor for a small food coop had to terminate an employee who came back later and shot him in the head and waited for police. He said he just lost it and only wanted to punish my friend for taking his job. I work as the director of loss prevention for a med size gas company and can terminate employees on a daily basis and I no longer felt safe with only my blue belt in BJJ and general bad attitude.

First things first.....Hello to all !!
After reading this entire thread over the course of the last couple of days, I decided this would be as good a time as any both introduce myself and give a small history on my own personal CCW motivation.
I bought my first firearm when I turned 21, an AMT backup .380. Quickly followed by a Glock 17 and a Colt Series 80.
I had been shooting my entire life and this was just a natural course for me. At this time there were no concealed carry laws in my home state (and to this day they are in the process of enacting even harsher gun control laws in an effort to combat the daily murders and gang violence......go figure)
I lived in an area that was the "buffer zone" between the police killing trash and a highly respectable university campus.
I carried anyway regardless of the law (not recommended)
I had a lot of friends in federal law enforcement, US marshall's and ATF. They obviously carried daily and I learned a lot from them.
One day I had my younger sister and her same age friend at my house along with my 6 yr old daughter, whom I raised by myself, when there was a knock at the door.
When I opened it, it was a "friend" of mine and some guy I didn't know. Nothing really too out of the ordinary but I just got a bad feeling. Before I knew what was happening my "friend" walked past me into my kitchen followed by the unknown guy. The unknown guy quickly spins around, a revolver in his hand. "Where's the money, We know you got money and guns, give em up or this is over."
My sister and her friend had my daughter on the couch and sat frozen speechless. I pulled out a .22 rifle from the closet and handed it to them at which time they stated " they knew I had others and werent leaving till they got everything".
I broke the first cardinal rule of being involved in a robbery...when unarmed cooperate. I refused to show them the rest of the firearms stating " I kept them at my families house because it wasn't safe here.'
They cussed and threw things all over. I asked my friend why he was doing this and with out a word they ran out the door.
I called the police. The police came in and wanted to know what gang I was in. I relayed to them that I wasn't in a gang and was just a victim of a violent crime and gave them my "friends" name.
Long story short, I soon learned they weren't going to pursue this case figuring I was just some thug who got what I deserved based on my neighborhood UNTILL.....my close friend's from my church (also ATF agents) intervened. The perps were apprehended almost immediately (seeing they lived a few blocks away) and it was then I discovered that my so called friend had developed a closet "habit" and had used me in an attempt to fuel his addiction.
This was nearly 20 yrs ago. I am now married with 5 children and have gotten my wife involved in a proactive role in the defense of our family. The state I reside in is very pro gun and we both possess our CCWs. We will be moving to Texas in less than 60 days to continue our education . The past event I just described taught me a couple very tough lessons. If not for the grace of god I may not have survived, no matter how hard you train you cant plan for everything , the police will not always be there when you need them and CHOOSE YOUR FRIENDS WISELY.
It took along time to build up my self confidence again after that encounter, and short of carrying even in the house I dont know what I could of done differently. Today I feel confident in my ability to defend my family. I am now pursuing a career in law enforcement and will NOT act as the aforementioned officers did to me. Live and Learn !!

Sorry for the exhausting, long post......
God Bless and have a great day

I was working as a Taxi driver the summer before I enlisted in the Army and got held up at gunpoint (the thief stole my cab and used it to rob a gas station) and then a week later, a guy tried to rob me at knifepoint.

Although I owned firearms from the time I joined the Army, I didn't carry on a regular basis until I worked in Houston for a commercial security company. Although concealed carry was prohibited in Texas at that time, many folks of my acquaintance, especially in the more crime-ridden areas of the city, were perfectly matter-of-fact about carrying a revolver around in their purse or pocket.

When I got to Indianapolis, I finally started thinking about getting a LTCH, but didn't do it until I had the opportunity to go through our local PDs firearms training with one of their recruit classes. With the exception of places where firearms carry is banned, I've carried a firearm ever since.

I decided I would carry as soon as I legally could after reading the original Washington Post article about the following incident (copied from "http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html").

Warren v. District of Columbia is one of the leading cases of this type. Two women were upstairs in a townhouse when they heard their roommate, a third woman, being attacked downstairs by intruders. They phoned the police several times and were assured that officers were on the way. After about 30 minutes, when their roommate's screams had stopped, they assumed the police had finally arrived. When the two women went downstairs they saw that in fact the police never came, but the intruders were still there. As the Warren court graphically states in the opinion: "For the next fourteen hours the women were held captive, raped, robbed, beaten, forced to commit sexual acts upon each other, and made to submit to the sexual demands of their attackers."

The three women sued the District of Columbia for failing to protect them, but D.C.'s highest court exonerated the District and its police, saying that it is a "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen."
Well that sounds like DC alright. They don't want honest citizens to have guns, but their police aren't going to help these citizens either. And they surely don't want to put their own lives in danger.:steamed:

I bought my G22 and applied for my CCW at the same time which was two weeks ago. I decided to do this because I'll be getting married within the next few years, I've been on many ridealongs and have been threated by some of the guys that were arrested. Also because of Viginia Tech and all the shootings after that (I live in a town that is 1 1/2 hours away from Tech) I visit Roanoke, VA and know of some pretty bad crimes that have been done in parking lots that I visit a few times a month. For example guys hiding under cars and cutting peoples achilles tendon so they don't have to run people down to mug them.

Luckily I work in a place that allows me to know many people which landed me free defensive training at any time of my choosing. :tongueout:

Because I know too many people that have been victims of violent crimes because the bad guy(s) knew they couldn't defend themselves.

Because when someone decides to threaten your safety, they aren't going to wait patiently for you to dial 911.

Because shouting for help isn't enough.

Because I'm a practical guy that knows because I haven't dedicated my life to Mixed Martial Arts or something, my fists may not be enough.

Because I care about my loved ones, and would do anything for them in a heartbeat.

I had a defining moment a few months ago. I work at burger king and a co worker said she saw an officer get tackled by a guy he just pulled over.. She just drove the rest of the way to burger king. I was so livid I walked to the door, before realizing there was nothing I could do because she didn't even pay attention to where this happened.

I'm not exactly pro vigilante but an officer was tackled by a suspect, and a witness couldn't even be bothered to call 911 to get the guy back up?

Shows what kind of help I can expect if I get in trouble.

Also, the courts have ruled on several occasions that police are not liable for your protection. They have a responsibility to protect society not individuals. I.E. if they take 2 hours to get to you after you call 911, they can't be held responsible for anything that happens to you. If they're not liable for my safety, then I am.

Ps also, because glocks are freaking sweet. :cool:

I was working on a commercial HVAC unit on a rooftop and I was going back to my work vehicle to get a tool. When I went to go down my extension ladder I noticed two fairly young and scruffy guys peering into my locked van. I said, "What's up guys?" and they immediately backed away from the van and one said, "Oh, we were just checking out your nice van.". I stayed on the rooftop and called 911 after moving out of sight. A Sherrif's deputy showed up in 2 minutes, questioned them and searched them. They ended up in the back of his car.The deputy came over and told me they were both armed and he arrested them on weapons charges. I knew at that moment I would get a CCP.

Dad taught me how to shoot when i was young, first gun was a bb gun! Fast foward to 18 and i was in the army, after i got out of the army i kept a shottie at the house but never felt the need to carry outside the home untill in a few months span my brother shot a home invader, then a few weeks later me and this same brother witnessed a fight invloving about 20 people that ended in several of them pulling guns and shooting at each other while everyone just scattered. Bought a sigma the next day and just traded that in for a g17 a few weeks ago, still working on getting my chl, but theres some places i carry regardless.

For me there was no moment of decision. After Oklahoma passed the SDA law and it was allowed I decided I would get my CWL. Because it wasn't urgent it took me forever. I got it last week. It was years before I got around to taking the class and even more years before I sent in the application. I got it because it is my right and I wanted to. The instructor at the class asked us all why we wanted one. That was my answer. I have had a gun since I was 14 years old. Before I took the class I had decent carry guns. A Charter Arms bulldog .44 and a 1911 .45. I now have a couple more, a G20 and a SW 329PD.

I came to this party late in life. I bought my first rifle when the SCOTUSA passed the 2nd Amendment by a vote of 5-4. I went and read the 2nd Amendment and thought how could 4 justices think it only applies to militias? If you diagram the sentence using English it applies to individuals. So I bought my first rifle just to be safe. Then when that effeminate candy arse President we have got elected I bought my first pistol at age 62. I got my concealed license but never carried. I felt I wasn't properly trained. I took a course by Brian Hoffner Tactical Pistol 1 and started carrying the very next day after I completed the course. He is an outstanding trainer. But what really got me to carry all the time was the TV show I Survived. One night my wife asked me to watch it and I couldn't believe what was done to the people on that show. I carry all the time now either my Glock 30 or my Ruger .38 Special + P. That is my story I'm sorry it took me so long to exercise my God given 2nd Amendment right.

wow...

that's a moving story.. reminds me of the childhood friend who was the good samaritan to stop and help a broken down car. He found himself with a screwdriver and icepick in his throat, fighting for his life. Lost his car and cash, and found himself stranded 800 miles from home with scars which will last a lifetime.

My own decision was recent, although i've had guns since childhood. I own several businesses, and have several times been threatened in the past year. That and my family's safety has gotten me to think thru it more and more.

Finally got my CWP recently, although I've conceal carried in my business locations for years (legal in this state). a good friend who's a retired deputy has been recommending I do it for years....

I didn't start carrying a defensive gun all the time until I got into law enforcement, but I heard a story from a fellow agent one day that I have never been able to forget.

When he was 18, he and a friend were driving down the road and saw two guys broke down on the side of the road and decided to stop and help them. They were then kidnapped at gunpoint and driven down a dirt road and made to kneel down in front of the headlights, while the two kidnappers argued about whether they should kill them or not.

He told me that he has never been as scared, and so sure he was about to die as that moment, and that when the two kidnappers finally decided to let them live, and just took their car, he made a decision that night. That he would never be on his knees in the dirt, letting somebody else decide whether he lived or died, again. He told me even if it is ten guys with shotguns, I will shoot it out with them and die before I kneel in the dirt again.

You never see him without a gun, and I never forget the way I felt when I first heard him tell that story.

There was an incident in the last year or so where I was followed by a few guys in a car for what seemed to be an eternity while I was riding my bike.

For the few times I was able to turn my head and get a glance at the occupants, I could tell they weren't choir boys. And they weren't focused on anything else but me. At times, the car was tailing me by literally a few feet, other times they were possibly a few hundred feet back, maybe more.

Would they run me off the road? Would they run me down? Would they rob me, take my wallet and go to my house?

While this was happening, I really couldn't tell if this was just a simple 'breach of the peace' of a few guys wanting to have a little fun at the expense of some poor middle-aged guy alone on the road / bike-lane / sidewalk, or if it was going to turn into something else.

What made it worse was I didn't have my cell phone on me to call 911 first. I had left it on overnight (with the bluetooth, gps, and syncing functions on) and the battery was dead by morning, so I had it charging at the house.

Well, I'll tell you what...If that situation happens again, I don't intend to be a victim, robbed and beaten into a coma and on a ventilator in the hospital while my 5-year old daughter is holding my hand.

Discussion starter · #900 ·
There was an incident in the last year or so where I was followed by a few guys in a car for what seemed to be an eternity while I was riding my bike.....

...What made it worse was I didn't have my cell phone on me to call 911 first. I had left it on overnight (with the bluetooth, gps, and syncing functions on) and the battery was dead by morning, so I had it charging at the house.

Well, I'll tell you what...If that situation happens again, I don't intend to be a victim, robbed and beaten into a coma and on a ventilator in the hospital while my 5-year old daughter is holding my hand.
Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad your harrowing experience turned out alright.

I'd have a cheap Tracfone-like cell phone (pay as you go) as a backup when your smartphone is charging.

881 - 900 of 1,328 Posts