Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 1,328 Posts
My brother was carjacked at gunpoint in his own driveway years ago. Although I didn't think about CCW then, he went out and bought a gun to keep in the house. THAT started me thinking. Years later as we started having kids I grew more concerned about self protection and taking care of my family. Then, after seeing the mess in N.O. after Katrina, those protective thoughts grew stronger. Va Tech was the final straw. I bought a G23 a month later and took my CCW class a few weeks ago. I hope to have my permit within the next month or two. In Michigan there are many places where you cant CC but I want to be able to carry, if I choose to in the places they allow it.

July 2004....I was in a very remote area in a new neighborhood. Not many people really had much of a reason to be there except for me.

A car load of "south of the bordereans" ended up parking right in front of the house I was working on and got out. They were spying my work trailer, car, looking toward the house, and most all of them were drunk (or well on their way)

I figured they could have pretty much done what they wanted, and nobody would have found me for days.

Bought my first pistol two weeks later, and got my permit shortly after that.

Seriously started when I was a kid, probably about 7 or 8, and my mom (who I was with in the inner city) nearly got assaulted/robbed by what looked to me like a homeless guy (I remember his raggedy clothes, hadn't shaved in a while, etc). Then again, these days kids think it's cool to look like that. Anyway, I never forgot that sense of vulnerability. Fast forward 10 or 11 years, got my first rifle, and 3 years after that my first pistol along with a permit to carry. Never going to be in a situation where my loved one's safety is in jeopardy cause I'm not armed (not saying 7 or 8 year olds should be allowed to carry guns, but you get the idea).

Originally posted by G30MI
When Michigan passed its "shall issue" CPL law back in 2001, I got my permit because...well, because I could.
+1 best reason!

When I moved to a shall issue state I got my permit and when it came time to relocate I chose to live in another state that respects my right to K&B arms.

In my opinion everyone should have a permit (if they can).

Reactions: ShootingRooster
My defining moment came when I discovered, that at age 51, the Second Amendment was written specifically for ME !!

I could, as an American citizen in good standing, legally own , and more importantly, CARRY a handgun, loaded, with the blessing of the state I live in. Incredible.

I have never been the "sheep" type, and decided to ensure I stay free, I will not be made a victim, either.

Mout ;)

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Thank you all for sharing. I hope the replies keep coming in!

When I was having my so-called awakening (yeah, I was a bit dramatic in my original post :upeyes: ), I remember talking with a co-worker who had his CCW and actually had to draw on someone. It was yet another road-rage incident almost gone very wrong--almost. Some angry motorist followed him into a grocery-store parking lot without him noticing it, and suddenly the dude was leaning out of his truck's open door, yelling and threatening my co-worker buddy. My co-worker buddy tried to disengage and de-escalate the situation, but when the motorist approached him wielding a bat, out came my buddy's gun along with some plainly worded verbal commands, and bat boy got the picture.

That account all but wrote CCW in stone for me. All I had to ask myself was, "What would've/could've happened if my buddy had been unarmed?"

When the AWB passed but had not taken effect yet, I got myself a glock with high capacity magazines. Figured my revolver would be useless once I had kids someday, takes too long to load. Didn't like the idea of having it laying around loaded with kids, even if only at night by the bed. And nothing wrong with having 16 rounds rather than 6 at your disposal.

Similarly, once Michigan went shall issue, I decided to get my CCW and got an application. My wife had rental property in Detroit, I'd have to be working on it at night after work once in a while. Seemed like a pretty good idea.

Then late last year I finally got around to actually filling out the application, taking the class, and getting the permit... :animlol: Turns out the application was no longer valid, had been updated back in 2003 when they revised the CCW laws. Had to get a new packet of paperwork... Guess you can't accuse me of being paranoid about visiting Detroit... When did MI go shall issue, back in 2000 as Engler was leaving office? Seven years later I apply for my permit... :shocked: The actual reason I finally got motivated to get the permit had more to do with the declining fortunes of the GOP lately, and figured I'd better get the permit before the dems take over and revise the carry laws to our detriment... Same reason I got the glock. Use it or lose it...

Randy

In January 1994 I moved to Florida. Shortly thereafter, the business end of a 9mm was being waived in my face by a drug dealer... just after he assaulted me in front of my apartment.

An hour after that, the wise LEO taking my statement said what I was already thinking: that I needed to get a gun and carry it.

I did and I can tell you that it has kept the same incident from repeating itself several times over now.

Also, moving out of Florida has helped as well.

I did not grow up in a "gun family" although we owned guns. I was taught at an early age how to handle guns and how to use them, but we didn't go out shooting or hunting. The reason for owning guns in my house was for one reason only: because we could. My father is from Guatemala, A country where if you or your family had money you could own a gun, if not good luck trying. So when he became a citizen he started buying a few guns, and he has always felt that as an American it was not only a right but a responsibility to be able to defend your country. To some people it may seem like a cliché; to him it’s a true belief. Anyway the defining moment came A few years after moving out and starting school.

I was on my way home to Illinois from Wyoming and I was in a lonely part of Nebraska I stopped to fill up on fuel in one of those places that said that they were 24 hours but was just an automated pump. It was about two in the morning and dark when a truck full of guys (3) drove up. It looked like they were just getting gas when all of a sudden I saw stars. While the truck got gas at the pump in front of me one of their buddies that I didn’t notice made a long loop around and flanked me. I was conscious when I hit the ground and rolled to my back and he jumped on me in a “full mount” and hit me once in the forehead. About 15 seconds had passed when my attacker found my M.O.D Razorback (a gift from my father) lodged in his arm pit. He rolled off and screamed; one of his buddies came to help and got stuck in his left pectoral. Then the police showed up.

They had been driving past when they saw the commotion. I was not charged and allowed to go home. One of the attackers saw a whopping 12 days in jail. Everyone else was free to go. Although everything ended up ok that night, I went home alive and two bad guys hopefully learned a lesson, I was haunted with the thought of; what if the police had not driven past that knight? Would I have been able to fight all of them off with just a knife? I don’t know and decided to start taking my personal security much more seriously. Anyway sorry for the long post that was my defining moment. Bye the way to the O.P. good post. I’d really havn’t thought about it in a long time and just serves as good reminder.

Discussion starter · #30 · (Edited)
Originally posted by falsememory
One of the attackers saw a whopping 12 days in jail. Everyone else was free to go. . . . Anyway sorry for the long post that was my defining moment. . .
Hey, the long posts usually mean more detail, more good stuff.

It sucks that your attackers got away so easily. Heck, if I wasn't so close to graduation (and married with 2 kids and generally a moral, God-fearing man), I'd start over and be a career criminal. They sure seem to have it easy. :whistling:

Thanks for sharing.

Why to carry Concealed, I have toyed with that thought for a long time. A very basic reason is because it is written in our consititution the right to bear arms. I have read what our founding fathers have written about an armed society, and agreed with what they said. But still, I haven't felt the need to carry concealed.
Not until I have had those situtations happen to me, things I considered happen to "Other People"

A couple of years ago while at home, well it was an apartment, we lived in the garden level, it was during the mid morning hours, I had just finished doing work on my car, and came in the living room, my wife was in the bedroom cleaning up, when she came to me, looking very pale, and scared, and told me someone was breaking in to the bedroom....I had a gun, but it was in the bedroom closet, and locked, also being what I thought a good responsable person with weapons does, my ammo was not in the same place as the weapon... So that was useless.
So I grabbed a tire iron which I had because I rotated the tires on my car...I grabbed that, and whacked the guy in the knee, since he was still trying to get in.
the get let out a scream, and got out.
I called the Police, and waited with my wife as the arrived, about 30 mins. later, they got the report from us, tried to get finger prints but nothing was available.
they even brought a Dog, and the dog, traced the person to his apartment, But when he was questioned, he denied everything, and his friends acted as wittnesses saying he was there the whole time.
Without solid evidence they could not arrest him.
So this left us pretty scared and feared retaliation, so we moved out ASAP.

I also worked on a person in the Hospital who was shot by Gang members. This kid was not killed, but seriously injured, and we had to do more surgery on him. We were advised that the gang members were looking for the kid and wanted to finish the job, along with going after those who were treating him. So this freaked me out a lot.
I started worring more about what could happen to me, and or my family.

So around then I decided to get my CCW, and a Handgun that I could carry.

While waiting for my CCW to come through, I had a couple of Gunshot victims that I had to care for.
One lady at home answered a knock on the door, when she opened the door, the BG shot her in the face, it didn't kill her, but it did a number on her face.
When later questioned, she stated she didn't know those people, she had no history of run ins with the law...She was just a lady by herself.

Another guy, who answered his door, only to realize the intention of the people knocking was not good, he shut the door, while trying to lock it he was shot a few time through the door....He survived.

A few weeks ago, I was coming home from work it was kinda late, I realized I needed gas, so I stopped at the local gas station, Generally I am pretty careful about where and when I stop for gas, I knew it was late, but I figured the neighborhood was ok.
While filling up, I noticed two guys circling my truck, both guys were fairly big guys, about young 20's, looking all gansta like..
I noticed this right away...I found it odd the would walk around the truck, looking in the windows on the passenger doors, walking back around me...then stopping in front of me about 25 ft or so, one guy maked as if he is going in to the store, he enters, then comes out the other door, at this time, the guy who was outside still, makes his way closer, and the other guy flanks me...All of this was taking place rather quickly, In less time it takes to put 15 gallons of gas in the truck.. these guys cased me, and started to make a move.
It was at this time, I went from concealed carry to Open Carry...
I made it no secert at this time I was armed.
Being a Little guy, with a full size 45....must have looked like a Cannon to them, becuase once he saw it, his eyes got huge, then he backed off, signaling to his friend to move away.

I was pretty wired after that, my heart was racing, like I just got a shot of adrenaline...
I have no doubt... That my carring is prevented me from being a statistic.

Now I carry every where I go...I figure it will be some crap luck, I will relax once, and not carry, and it will be a time where I wished I did.

As I made my way back to Biloxi from Jackson Mississippi the day after hurricane Katrina I had the tactical shotgun I bring on trips and keep in the house for protection on the back seat. After 9 hours of dodging checkpoints downed trees and washed out roads we made it home. I had always relied on the shotgun as all I would ever need to stay safe.
For the next 36 days we lived in a tent in the front yard with no electricity, water, phone or place to buy a guns/ammo. One time in the first month I saw a LEO come through the neighborhood.
As we repaired the flood damage to the house, I noticed numerous strangers driving/wandering/slinking through the neighborhood.
I had the shotgun close by at all times but we still lived in a constant state of “extreme caution” bordering on fear.
After all that I decided I would never allow myself to walk around unprotected again. So as soon as the state got the Highway Patrol office functioning I applied for and received a CCL.

Reactions: Willard
When I was in the military I always carried 1911 when I moved cross country. Jumping ahead 1990.....in the Tidewater area of Va. we started having a hugh number of car jackings, robberies with murders.
I started packing my 1911 when they found a car jacking victim dead in her trunk not far from where I lived.
One month later that 1911 saved me from a baseball bat swing thug who was coming around to the drivers side of my Bronco(which was stuck in traffic). He saw my 1911, dropped his bat and ran.
I've carried every since, and it has saved my life at least twice. The last time from 4 gang banger in Corpus Christi Texas.
Now it is funny to say but since I now live in white rural Oregon I've never even had to put my hand on my CCW(10 years).
The price you pay for none diversity.

Reactions: mc1911
I have a half brother in his 40s that is seriously disturbed. He's spent more of his adult life locked up than free. He got out of prison sometime in 04 and then went to jail in town for 3 months. He made lots of new friends there :upeyes: and started hanging out with that crowd and bringing them around my parents house.

My sister was living at home to finish school and I was house shopping so I was back too. Dad has garage full of Snap-On, the house has all the typical electronics a family with two adult children at home would have - computers, TVs, DVD players, etc.

My half brother's ex-wife called Ma crying one night and told her that he'd called her drunk and said he was going to drive his truck through the middle of her house trailer. It turned out he'd broken into the garage and stolen the cordless phone and was hiding in the woods near the house.

He threatened to kill her and himself so we called the police. They didn't go in the woods after him so all through the night he'd appear, talk to Dad a while, get crazy, and disappear back into the woods. Dad had a gun in his pocket but it had probably been sitting in a sock drawer for 20 years or more so who knows whether it would have fired.

That night finally ended uneventfully and my half brother was later locked up for drunk driving and various other charges. Within a week I'd moved money around between my checking account and a a credit card and bought a Glock 17 and a range membership. A few days after that I'd found GlockTalk. Within a few months I had my CHL.

I'm not sure how long he has left at this point. My sister and I have both been gone for over a year now. My sister and my mom are both interested in learning to shoot but I haven't been able to get a schedule to work out for them to go with me yet. I'm working on it!

Discussion starter · #36 · (Edited)
Originally posted by Iflyfish
As I made my way back to Biloxi from Jackson Mississippi the day after hurricane Katrina I had the tactical shotgun I bring on trips and keep in the house for protection on the back seat. After 9 hours of dodging checkpoints downed trees and washed out roads we made it home. I had always relied on the shotgun as all I would ever need to stay safe.
For the next 36 days we lived in a tent in the front yard with no electricity, water, phone or place to buy a guns/ammo. One time in the first month I saw a LEO come through the neighborhood.
As we repaired the flood damage to the house, I noticed numerous strangers driving/wandering/slinking through the neighborhood.
I had the shotgun close by at all times but we still lived in a constant state of “extreme caution” bordering on fear.
After all that I decided I would never allow myself to walk around unprotected again. So as soon as the state got the Highway Patrol office functioning I applied for and received a CCL.
Man, I'm glad you made it through the storm and its aftermath okay. Thanks for sharing.

I live in close proximity to the Wasatch Front fault line, and whenever the big earthquake strikes, I plan on being ready--food, heated shelter, and plenty of ammunition to protect all the above--along with the family it will feed and keep warm and dry.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Originally posted by TheKnight
But still, I haven't felt the need to carry concealed.
Not until I have had those situtations happen to me, things I considered happen to "Other People"
Glad you survived the encounters. It's interesting--it was either Robert Ludlum himself or one of his ghost writers who wrote something along the lines of "violence rarely occurs at convenient times and in convenient places."

I decided I would carry as soon as I legally could after reading the original Washington Post article about the following incident (copied from "http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html").

Warren v. District of Columbia is one of the leading cases of this type. Two women were upstairs in a townhouse when they heard their roommate, a third woman, being attacked downstairs by intruders. They phoned the police several times and were assured that officers were on the way. After about 30 minutes, when their roommate's screams had stopped, they assumed the police had finally arrived. When the two women went downstairs they saw that in fact the police never came, but the intruders were still there. As the Warren court graphically states in the opinion: "For the next fourteen hours the women were held captive, raped, robbed, beaten, forced to commit sexual acts upon each other, and made to submit to the sexual demands of their attackers."

The three women sued the District of Columbia for failing to protect them, but D.C.'s highest court exonerated the District and its police, saying that it is a "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen."

I carry because:

1) I can
2) Virgina Tech - Extreme violence can happen in the blink of an eye
3) I live within 50 miles of Detroit :supergrin:

21 - 40 of 1,328 Posts