close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

defensive ammo

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by userfriendly, Nov 4, 2006.

1. userfriendly

userfriendly

How many rounds do you shoot without failure, before you consider ammo to be reliable with your firearm? Ammo will be for defensive purpose and will be JHP.

2. martinglock

martinglock I DON'T PLAY

Minimum: 500 rounds
    I use Hornady TAP in my .40's and they love it.
    Good luck with your choice.

3. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

200 rounds initially for me, and then ideally, I validate the performance by shooting the defensive ammo monthly or quarterly in small amounts. This also ensures that I remove the older stock of ammo from my cache and allows me to remember or become more accustomed to the recoil and flash characteristics of that specific brand/type. This also verifies if my gun is still zeroed for that round.

4. toxic

toxic

a hundred rounds of any kind of JHP will do for me, basta prevent to much loading and unloading ng rounds from the magazine,i make sure i have a magazine specifically for defense, yung mga local jhp's kase lumuluwag and madaling madeform yung shells once a year i shoot all my defensive rounds then buy a new batch as Mikey177 had pointed out removing the older stock and making used to the recoil and flash of your ammo.

5. jimbullet

jimbullet

I dont have the luxury of having 500 rounds of factory ammo with me as we all know, its expensive. For me as long as you shot it slow fire and its got good groups and you shot rapid fire and it doesnt hang for at least 50 rounds, then that will do for me.

6. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

I agree with this 100%! Range ammo is a far cry from defensive loads...you may hit alpha with your range loads but when you use Cor-Bon 115's you're in for a surprise with the kick and sound...

I usually break in my gun/familiarize myself with the ammo with at least 50 - 100...although this does hurt the wallet.

7. userfriendly

userfriendly

What are the better 9mm hollow points available in the Phil and where can I get some? The last batch that I bought was 115 grain Corbons from Urban but they closed down.

When do you consider ammo old? A year, 2 years...? What effect does aging have on ammo?

8. G19cPH

G19cPH

Remington Golden Saber HPJ 147.gr- P.B. Dionisio
    Corbons-Nashe,Wirox at MCS
    Winchester SXT- Stonghand

9. isuzu

isuzu

As long as ammo is kept in an area where it is dry and the temperature does not fluctuate much, ammo can last a long time. I've shot .45 ACP dated in the 1940s (with steel casings), and they still fired.

I've carried Hydra Shoks in all of the pistols I've owned, and never had a problem with them. The bullet design contributed to positive feeding everytime. 124gr for 9mm and 230 gr for the .45.

10. Allegra

Allegra

Dont rely on magic bullets, baka madisapoint ka lang
    Demanda aabutin mo hehe

11. userfriendly

userfriendly

I don't belive in magic bullets. I'm looking for a good quality hollow point. I belive that hollow points are the best option for self defense.

The only magic bullet is a nuke!

This being said, I was in Stronghand earlier and saw some Federal expanding full metal jacket rounds. Anyone know what are these? Are they FMJ or HP or a new bullet design?

12. Allegra

Allegra

good quality hollow points like the deadly one shot stopper golden saber +p??
    close range torso shot tumakbo pa e :)

13. userfriendly

userfriendly

Yep, don't rely on one shot stops. Shoot until the threat is neutralized. Still hollow points are better stopers compared to FMJs. The only time I'll be comfortable carrying FMJs will be with a .45 Any other handgun, it should be loaded with hollow points for defensive purposes.

14. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Ranger SXT for 9mm and 45.