Glock Talk banner

Defensive .223 Remington for AR-15: SP or JHP?

1978 Views 55 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Syclone0538
In the 55 grain category, which would you pick for a defensive load in your AR-15: Soft Point, or JHP? The brand is Federal.

The rifle in question is a Windham Weaponry MPC with a 1/9 twist. No suppressor or other modifications.

Thanks.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Mr. Awesome
12,683 Posts

Reactions: Jade Falcon

· Rational
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had no idea that SP was preferred over JHP. Apparently it stays in the body well, which is what I need. I have thin walls with no insulation, and neighbors very close to me. So it's definitely a consideration.

24,310 Posts
In the 55 grain category, which would you pick for a defensive load in your AR-15: Soft Point, or JHP? The brand is Federal.

The rifle in question is a Windham Weaponry MPC with a 1/9 twist. No suppressor or other modifications.

Thanks.
I would want to use something that would be adequate for making a humane kill on a small deer, and that would be something heavier that 55 grain bullet which a 1/9 twist will handle using a controlled expansion soft point rather than a hollowpoint. Spitzer bullets with hollowpoints are good for varmints but you want a controlled expansion softpoint for the fastest incapacitation of a deer size or a man size target.

If the only way you can stop someone from killing you is to kill them, then ther is no such thing as being over gunned or uing ammo that's too powerfull or killing anyone "Too Dead". Either you're illing to kill to keep from being killed or you aren't, and you should use the best possible ammo for the job.

· Registered
40,433 Posts
Inside 25ft, doesn't really matter, ball ammo would do about as well.

· Registered
40,433 Posts
I had no idea that SP was preferred over JHP. Apparently it stays in the body well, which is what I need. I have thin walls with no insulation, and neighbors very close to me. So it's definitely a consideration.
Then dont miss because anything you can shoot will go thru drywall.

· Registered
3,425 Posts
I use barnes tsx 55 or 70gr for hunting & M193 for home defense and when fired from a 14.5 or 16" barrel the bullet will fracture inside and body and accuracy should be good to 300 yards . Let several 55gr fmj bullet tumble and facture and do what it was designed for .

Just have a suppressor or flash can like a kak can & electronic ear muffs on as it is LOUD

· Registered
671 Posts
Jade Falcon said:

Exactly. OP should know this is the wrong tool for his situation.

· Registered
5,290 Posts
IMO, anything other than varmint bullets that fragment very fast.

Exactly. OP should know this is the wrong tool for his situation.
What's the right tool? What is enough for defense and will go through fewer drywall walls than .223/5.56?

· Registered
3,926 Posts
If I were to use an AR 15 for self defense in my condo, I would go with the soft points. However, given the penetration of most anything that comes out of a rifle barrel, my choice for HD is one of my handguns with a light in 9mm with frangible ammo. I also have a 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun close at hand if needed.

· Registered
40,433 Posts
IMO, anything other than varmint bullets that fragment very fast.

What's the right tool? What is enough for defense and will go through fewer drywall walls than .223/5.56?
#4 buckshot from a 12ga will be a bit less over penetrating & landing even half a pattern on a body inside 21ft is pretty devastating. You want less mass & less vel. Still, dont miss, everything goes thru drywall easily. Large birdshot like #6 would also work, but I am unimpressed with its penetration on meat targets. So my home sg is loaded with #4 buck, backed up with #00 if something odd happens like the fight went outside, not likely though.

Reactions: hardluk1

· Registered
5,290 Posts
#4 buckshot from a 12ga will be a bit less over penetrating & landing even half a pattern on a body inside 21ft is pretty devastating. You want less mass & less vel. Still, dont miss, everything goes thru drywall easily. Large birdshot like #6 would also work, but I am unimpressed with its penetration on meat targets. So my home sg is loaded with #4 buck, backed up with #00 if something odd happens like the fight went outside, not likely though.
I've always thought #4 buck was a good idea.

I remember looking at experiments where someone made interior walls and shot them. All service handguns went through twice as many as 5.56 iirc. I'd expect #4 buck to preform like a handgun.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.