deer weight

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by coboconk, Sep 27, 2005.

1. coboconk

coboconk

I would like to know if there is a way to find a deer's weight by taking measurements of the mount. I shot a large white tail in 2003 that my brother in-law and my self couldn't drag out(because of size and location)so we quartered it. I have always wondered what it really weighed. I have been given weights ranging 300-375lbs from eight to ten people. I am sure it is at least 300 but I am not good at estamating. I have dragged out four or five deer (not mine)that we weighed on scale that were 200-215lbs. None of them were even close in size to the one I have. I just want to give myself peace of mind. thanks for any help that can be given.

2. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

I'm no expert by any means. But the size of the bucks neck fluctuates, it swells alot during the rut. I would think you would need something that is consistent in size all the time to get an accurate estimate of the weight. During the rut, you might have a 200 lb buck with the same size neck. That's probably not the case, I'm sure this deer had the body profile of a hog.

3. noway

noway

300lb plus for a deer (WT) is one big and rare deer. In all of my life I "might" have seen one deer that weighed over 300lbs. Yes one deer.

If you want to really know, buy a cheap 500lb game scale and hoist. You can find a good tree branch and sceure the hoist and weigh the deer in the field. After I bought one, I learn that I was way off on estimation of animals dead weights and specially for hogs, which is much harder to guess.

Another option is to take the animal in and get it weighed. For example, in Tx, they have scales at most if not all feed and butcher shops and will weigh your game for free.

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

A general rule of thumb is to take your best guess and subtract 100 lbs.

You could have weighed the quarters after you brought them out.;a