deer season update

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by branden, Nov 13, 2005.

1. branden

branden AMERICA **** YA

was at my farm in stockton yesterday hunting. saw a spike that i could have shot 100 times but figured he would be bigger in a couple of years, so i let him go.

my brother and i figured we have too many does, so i saw one on a food plot about 120 yards away and nailed her with my 25-06. i was using 100 grain nosler ballistic tips and wow! i am a fan. they sure did the job. she ran literally like 20 yards.

anyways, im going back down today, so ill update again tonight or tomarrow with what happens. wish me luck!

ps my dads friend shot a nice 9 point on the other side of my property....i was jealous

2. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Congrats on the doe.

That spike will probably never amount to much in the antler department according to the folks in the whitetail breeding business. There is a breeder ranch in TX (and lots of other folks) that recommend removing all spikes from the breeding population. I've let them go many times but it is only because I don't want to waste a buck tag on one. Button bucks are a completely different story - they count as does in GA.

Those spikes sure can be a little on the goof-ball side can't they.