Deer Season Starts Tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by vafish, Jun 17, 2007.

1. vafish

vafish

Well for me it does. Too bad I can't get out and hunt till next weekend.

One of the suburban properties I hunt on just got a damage control permit.

Went and hung my tree stand today, no hunting on Sunday even with the damage control permit. Should have brought the camera along, a doe and nice buck in velvet, probably will be an 8 or 10 point, standing under the tree I was planing on putting my stand in. The deer only ran off about 20 yards and hung around while I put the stand up. Had my 8 and 11 year olds along.

2. 357glocker

357glocker

If you really want to manage that deer herd leave the bucks alone! The does are the deer that need to be targeted and if you take them out you effectively cut down the population producers. Good scouting opportunity for bucks though! This time of year, you'd have to really get them to the cooler quick. Have fun!

3. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

What are the tools used for taking deer in Virginia this time of year?

Secondly, I'm guessing your experiencing temperatures like we are here in Ohio. My question is how long do you have after shot to get the deer cleaned, and on ice before it will spoil?

And yes I am jealous that you get to go deer hunting, this time of year!

4. noway

noway

mid june?

Will for me it would be later August ;)

Good luck.

5. vafish

vafish

Damage control permit is for antler less deer only. The buck will have to wait until October, but by then I should have him patterned pretty well!

Another good thing about taking out a lot of does is that it raises the buck to doe ratio and makes the bucks more active looking for does and protecting them against other bucks. That means they are more likely to make a mistake during the rut.

This property is only 20 mins from my house. I shot one there this fall and had him in my garage and skinned before he stiffened up.

This is a small property in the suburbs so we are restricted to archery or crossbows. Also the counties can restrict type of weapon used for hunting. So it varies.

I'm restricted to daylight hunting and no hunting on Sunday, but baiting is legal and I have no daily bag limit, but I can't see myself shooting more than one a day unless I have someplace to drop off the carcass for processing. Normally I process them myself.

Today it is 94 degrees and humid. So yes I need to get them processed ASAP! Doesn't take long to spoil in this heat.

6. groundhawg

groundhawg

im not trying to rain on your parade, but i would think the fawns would still be nursing and by killing a doe at this time, you would effectively be causing a fawn to starve to death. ymmv

7. noway

noway

If the fawn has no spots it will be okay ;)

For what I've seen ( down here ) the fawns are already in groups of 2-3 with no adult Doe deer. They are off the mother teats and foraging. Fawns only need about 1month of nursing.

Unless vafish fawns are born later in summer, they should be off mom's milk.

8. vafish

vafish

Haven't seen any fawns with spots around this property. And this late they should be ok on their own. Also if the fawns are nursing they'll be hanging pretty close to the doe, If I see a fawn with the doe I won't shoot her.

Shot a doe a couple weeks ago, using the crossbow with the scope, saw the bolt hit her, looked like a good solid heart hit, she jumped once and trotted off. Watched her go to the back of the property and into the woods. I waited about 10 minutes before heading over to look for blood. Fully expected to find her dead within 50 yards.

She had been standing next to a bush when I fired so I had a good idea where to look for blood to start tracking her.

Not a drop of blood or any hair in the area where I she was standing when I shot her. Started searching along her escape route. After 50 yards we started seeing some blood. Not much, just some little tiny drops here and there. Followed them for 2 1/2 hours across a couple neighboring properties and the blood trail just stopped.

I have no idea why I couldn't find her. I even double checked my quiver to make sure I didn't shoot her with the one field point I carry for unloading the cross bow.

Anyhow I'll try to redeem myself tomorrow night.

9. noway

noway

Boy I bet you hate that. A good shot or at least you think ;) and then you don't find a warm body :sad:

You said you found no blood at the spot you hit? did you find the bolt? I'll add this; With a solid heart shot you should have found something very soon.The retrieving the bolt would be agood clue as to if that hit was good and solid.

I have about 44 days to go before I get to go trotting thru the woods , with a stick and string ;)

10. vafish

vafish

Nope never found the bolt.

And it shouldn't have been difficult, The deer was standing on a mowed section of lawn.

11. groundhawg

groundhawg

i did a little research to make sure i was somewhat informed and could generally back up what i type. i got the following info from "the deer of north america" by leonard lee rue 111. short synopsis of what i learned. deer have a 180 day gestation period which is roughly 6 months. i figure most deer are bred in november. if you use november 1 as "bred on date",you have may 1 as "birth date". it says in the book that [pg267] im paraphrasing now, "fawns are usualy weaned when they are 4-5 months old but are dependent on milk until they are are at least 3 months old. if fawns are orphaned after 3 months, they can probably survive. if orphaned before 3 months, they undoubtedly die".
    now going from the may 1 birth date [which is probably early] to today, the average fawn would be quite a ways under the 3 month mark and therefore by killing momma, babies gonna die too.
    again im not trying to rain on your parade i just want you to be informed as to the probable outcome of taking a doe this early in the year.
    ps check out leo lee rue on the net

12. noway

noway

im paraphrasing now, "fawns are usualy weaned when they are 4-5 months old but are dependent on milk until they are are at least 3 months old

FWIW, I wouldn't put my numbers/faith by that book. During turkey season, I see alot of spots running around next to mom's and that's in the latter of March and 1st part of April for the southern zone.

By 1st week of hunting for me ( at the earliest last week in Aug ) these fawns are without spots ( for obvious reasons ) and running without Mom's around for the most parts or typically grouped in 2s and grazing on pasture grasses.

I leave you with this;

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/june/papr/wtdeer.html

I highly doubt a fawn is on mom's teats for 3months before being weaned off mom's milk, that's a whole 90days and by 90days a fawn has the proper teeths too pullstalks of grass,grind nuts,leaves,etc.....and their immune system is strong enough not to need mom's addition items for immune.

To give you an idea , we wean calves at about 3months and that's a domesticate animal, cat and/or dog less than 1-1 1/2 months. A friend of mine raised a young fawn ( buck ) that his mom was struck by a truck and it was weaned in less than 2months and feed on bottle for those 2 months. He got the fawn when it was less than 2weeks old. It grew up pretty nice and when to one of those Animals zoos.

{Nope never found the bolt.

And it shouldn't have been difficult, The deer was standing on a mowed section of lawn.}

any ideas on what happen or went wrong?

13. vafish

vafish

I'm no expert in deer biology.

But searching the web I've found weaning time anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months. So it sounds like the experts can't agree.

Anyhow Thanks for the information, I'll be careful not to shoot doe with little ones.

vafish

14. 357glocker

357glocker

As cruel as it sounds, it may not have been overlooked by your licensing and wildlife authority.....

15. groundhawg

groundhawg

i think its pretty cool how while we are hunters and ultimately want to kill something, but we want to do it in the "right" way. it would totally throw the tree-huggers for a loop to see that we actually care for the well being of the animals.
    ps. im counting down the days to september and a bowhunting trip to colorado for elk....schwing :banana: :banana:

16. vafish

vafish

The Game Wardens say they want the deer killed and they really don't care how, there are just way too many in the area we are doing damage control in.

They might actually consider killing a nursing doe as a two-fer.

17. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Most of the extended doe season here are after the rut, so any doe shot is probably pregnant. I once shot a doe in late December that had twin embryoes. The game department knows this.

I saw a spotted fawn last week along the Hardy toll road. So there is a huge variance in when the rut occurs.

18. 357glocker

357glocker

That's kind of the point I was making. They know that during the late seasons the does are pregnant, and during the depredation (special) seasons that they are nursing or taking care of fawns. One deer killed ultimately equals two if not three.

19. sourdough44

sourdough44

I was on an 'Ag Damage' shoot awhile back. It was a location with many deer, not in WI. The biologist rated the damage 'severe'. It was a summer shoot & all deer were utilized, we had takers for more. We had a butcher with a cooler lined up ahead of time, & a few do-it-yourself butchers. On the paperwork of the various rules it was stated that any fawns with does must be taken. Our intent was to try for does without fawns, though a few were taken. I think in mid summer fawns are still rather dependent. This is not a hunt, it is to reduce the deer numbers in a controlled way, the next step is the paid sharpshooter route. Of course bucks were not allowed.

20. groundhawg

groundhawg

va fish, any luck with damage permit deer??