Deer season is over but HOG season is just beginning ……

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Big Bend Brian, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Big Bend Brian

Big Bend Brian

With deer season over it’s time to start playing with the feral hogs. There are plenty of them in Northeast Florida ….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

124 lb boar

It’s gonna be a fun 3 months until it gets too hot to play with them……

Brian

2. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

I’d love a day out hunting hogs. Only thing we have in Toronto are two legged ones.

B C likes this.

3. Wildman9870

Wildman9870

Hunted wild boar on the big island in hawaii, was station on Oahu in the USMC
    Was with bow( recurved) in those days, hunted with 5 friends, one of the most fun hunts i’ve ever been on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Is that a light or a laser?

5. Big Bend Brian

Big Bend Brian

It’s a small inexpensive but pretty powerful green LED light I use for low light/night hog hunting. It’s good for 50 yards so it works well with the pistol. I have to tone down the green output by wrapping a single layer of tissue over the lens and then make a small tear in the paper giving a sliver of green light. The green light contrasting with the red dot on a black hog works really well.

Below is the Amazon link to this $18 rail mounted 100 lumen LED light:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8VVF5B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comes with a detachable remote pressure switch but I don’t use that . For $18 wackers it’s an awesome light. I've bought several of these small green lights.

Brian

BigBluefish likes this.
  6. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

A well-armed dude can never pop too many hogs ...

The very definition of 'M1 Fun'!

image.jpg

rock_castle, Quijibo and BigBluefish like this.
  7. Big Bend Brian

Big Bend Brian

sixgun2 that’s ironic you mention Toronto. In 6 days I have two Canadian friends from Toronto coming down to play with these hogs with their bows.

Brian

sixgun2 likes this.
  8. Big Bend Brian

Big Bend Brian

agtman that was a fun day I’m certain!!

Despite days like that it’s hard to make a dent in the hog population! Two independent university studies noted that it takes a removal of 70% of a hog population just to maintain a STABLE population. That's NOT noting a population decrease. That 70% removal is a challenge. They only way really to control them is by trapping them.

These pigs are practically unstoppable……..they keep making more!!

[​IMG]

This is WHY we have such a huge pig problem……..

[​IMG]

Brian

B C likes this.
  9. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Actually, for the folks who are in other states, we don't have a "hog season " here in Florida; they are a 12 month, 365 day, day or night, no bag limit, use anything you want ( at least on private land) nusciance creature, to be eradicated.

Most of us who are shooting them are not really " hunting" them so much as we are exterminating them , as they are a scourge on our land.

They are nothing more than vermin, like rats.

10. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

Never mind. I thought you may have meant Hogg.

11. AF-Odin

AF-Odin

Texas, 365/24/7 Hog season. Eradicate them. Usually only butcher the ones under 100# for meat. Bigger ones not usually as tasty, but vultures and coyotes have to eat too.

Slotback, agtman, sixgun2 and 2 others like this.
  12. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Can you eat them, or are they a parasite playground?

agtman likes this.
  13. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Yes and yes.

You have to cook them right, and alot of how edible they are depends on how they have fed; corn fed is good, hogs that have lived and fed in orange groves are good, the rest are really gamey.

The young ones are the best.

Alot of them on ranch land, they are left where they are shot. As was so already said, buzzards gotta eat too.

Understand that this is pest eradication, not really sport hunting ( although it has some sport to it) and as such, concepts like " eat what you kill" and " conservation" and the other moral/ ethical standards of hunting don't really apply.

We aren't trying to manage them, we want to eliminate them.

agtman, BigBluefish and Quijibo like this.
  14. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

I bought a Glock 41 for this very reason. Hope to make a run down to Texas soon for a little piggy poppin'. Taking my new Omega longbow and a couple ARs also. Probably use the bow most tho, she shoots like a dream and I can't wait to whack-a-hog with it. One of the things I miss most since I moved to Ohio.
    I have a lot of family in Fla but, unfortunately, none of them hunt. If they did, the Omega would accompany me on my next visit. Hell, after seeing those pix, I might just drag it along anyway.... just in case. ;)

agtman likes this.
  15. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

Reported!

:D

16. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

When I lived in Tx I knew a guy who wanted the little ones and would give me some bacon from the ones I brought him. The big ones usually got tossed into a burn pit. Always amazed me how you could hunt a piece of property for a week and think you cleared them out only to get a call a couple weeks later that they're back.
    When I was a kid I used to visit my Dad in Tx. Being quite the critter nut, I'd spend a ton of time rolling over logs, picking up boards etc looking for snakes/toads/lizards/tarantulas/scorpions, stuff we didn't have in Illinois. 20 years later I moved to Tx and was shocked at how hard it was to find any of the crawly things I used to find so abundant. Everywhere you went in the woods there was devastation where the pigs would come through and eat everything that lived or nested on the ground.
    I've always considered myself a very ethical hunter. In fact, I stopped hunting all together over two decades ago because I just lost the desire.... exept hogs. I have now mercy for those things. Especially after seeing firsthand the devastation they cause to indigeonous fauna.

TxGun likes this.
  17. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Thanks. I get it. I've got no problem with knocking the population down. But if there's free bacon ... sign me up! In some locales the wild hogs are highly rated for their food value.

My dad and his friends used to shoot woodchucks for farmers in upstate New York back when he was in highschool. I have been told by others that woodchucks are pretty tasty. My dad said there was never much left though, after one got hit by a 110 gr. bullet from his .30-'06, so they were just keeping the critters under control. Apparently, 'chuck holes in dairy pasture can make for unhappy cows.

agtman likes this.
  18. Big Bend Brian

Big Bend Brian

As ranger1968 noted; yes & yes.

From the handling perspective they do harbor some nasty diseases, brucellosis being one of them. Just like other animals they can have a heavy parasite load (but not all do):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, we have Lone Star Ticks in Florida……

You can avoid these problems however with care. When I field dress hogs I glove up and do the gutless method, leaving only the tenderloins. The urinary tract and the intestinal fluids are where brucellosis reside.

[​IMG]

Gutless method

Smaller hogs (up to 150 lbs in my experience) are good to eat and some prefer it over venison. They make for great sausages!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brian

19. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Pic of a young Texas boy with an M1 that he and his Dad built, and the pig he took with it.

This was published in the GCA Journal last year. If I recall the details correctly, his shot was something like 135 yds, and he only needed one ... Oink.

image.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Glolt20-91, BigBull 301 and B C like this.
  20. B C

B C

You guys need a mini gun for them.

Quijibo likes this.