close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer season is FAST approaching!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by onemilmhz, Sep 9, 2003.

1. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

I can't believe its almost mid September. We've only spent two days in the woods getting ready this year. Dad had to have back surgery and I've been working nights. Our other buddy has been busy at work to. All three of us are finally getting together to do some clearing, planting and other prep work this weekend but we have a lot to do. To make matters worse, the season starts two weeks early this year due to a few low harvest seasons in Georgia state wide. That means we have precious little time to get in and out and hope the deer adjust to our food plots and clearing. We wanted to give them a solid month but with all the stuff we have left to do it may be more like three weeks. How many of you hunters are lucky enough to own and tend the land you hunt on? It's nice to have private land and be the only ones hunting it but man it's a lot of work. How long before opening day do you try to stay out of the woods? Hopefully we get it all done because it looks like it should be a great season.

2. vafish

vafish

I've shot one deer already.

Damage control tag on private property.

Wish I had more time to get out and shoot some more. The freezer had been getting kind of low.

3. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

Here in Kali we're three weeks away from the END of deer season (A Zone)! Going Saturday, wish me luck!

4. vafish

vafish

Good luck!

I'll be back out tommorrow.

5. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Bow season starts October 1st here in Michigan… good thing I had early goose season to help keep my mind off it! :) In a few days I get to start some grouse hunting as well & that’ll take me to bow season, THANK GOD!

I’ve had the privilege to never had to step foot on public land for deer hunting… & it looks like I may be the only one hunting 500+ acres of private farm land this year again… oh darn! ;) Matter of fact, I may be the only guy hunting that whole section this year!

I actually have several other locations at my disposable for my hunting pleasers… I’d say totaling over 2,000 acres thereabouts… DANG, not enough time & not enough tree stands… if only I could master that omnipresent thing……. ;)

6. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

I don't own or tend any, but I hunt strictly on private land, by permission. In Kali it's the only way to go. teh great thing is that there is plenty of game once you get access.

Someday in the future I hope to have/will have my own acreage to tend, but I know it'll be a lot of work.

7. RevGator

RevGator

You have no idea how fast it's approaching here. Three days away.

Something about needing a bigger deer harvest this season so the open archery up two weeks earlier. I'll continue scouting but I don't know if I wanna get out there in this heat and bow hunt.

I think October sounds a lot more appealing to me

8. Roger C

Roger C

Lucky bugger.......:(

;f

9. onemilmhz

Ahhh.... not being a bow hunter myself (yet) I didn't take into account the archer's out there. Bow season does start September 13th here (wow two days!) which has me seriously thinking about building up some archery tackle for next season. An extra month could put a lot of venison on the table!

Actually, this is our case as well. I am very fortunate in that my father-in-law has been life long friends with the land owner. Who says marriage doesn't have perks? Of the 1000 +/- acres we maintain and use about 250 exclusively. Between the three of us that hunt it there is quite a bit of work involved. The heavy rains this year has been a mixed blessing. The pond and creek are both up as Georgia's four year drought has ended but there's a lot of undergrowth to clear out. We too, hope to own land someday soon and have been shopping around in recent months. However, the "other"-in-law (as I like to call her ;f ) doesn't want to move out to the boonies. Hopefully they can come to an agreement soon as my wife and I would like to eventually build wherever they buy their land.

10. RevGator

RevGator

I normally don't bow hunt BUT, this year because of the rain alot of farmers cut their corn late. In fact it was just about 10 days ago or so that I helped gramps finish his. Similiar stories from the other farmers. They are all later than usual this year. So bow season should be good as there is a lot of food out on the fields. I'll look for a few cooler days to venture out.

I know that by gun season all that will be long gone and i'll have to start hunting by trails and in the thicker areas. I've learned that a deer on an open field is alot easier to get than one that's 500 yards in the Georgia Jungle.

11. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I kill most of my deer coming out of (got a few in the standing corn as well) standing corn during bow season…

12. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Our season started last Sat. I shot my 3rd doe tonight after work. So far, so good.;e

13. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Bow season starts here in WI in the morning (9-13), but I won't be deer hunting for at least another month. Grouse season opens tomorrow too... not enough time for both, and I'd rather hunt with my dog than sit in a tree. Up here, there are no farm fields, just big woods... millions of acres of public land to hunt on. Unless you bait (which I don't) bow hunting around here this early is a hit or miss (at best) proposition. I don't start bow hunting until the pre-rut begins, about the third week of October. Right now, the bucks are too hard to pattern, in all that heavily forested terrain. And I never ever bow hunt in the morning... I'm too busy chasing ducks & geese at sunrise, right up until the lakes freeze up in early November, and sunrise is strictly duck-hunting time, as far as I'm concerned. :)

I wouldn't mind having my own land to hunt on, but it really doesn't make much differance to me. With three national forests (over two million acres), two state forests (another 200,000 acres), county forest (another 50,000 acres), and a couple hundred-thousand acres of paper company land open to public hunting (all within an hours drive), there's plenty of space to hunt without any crowds. Most of the time, I rarely encounter other hunters that I don't know. In two of my favorite grouse hunting spots, the only other hunter I've met there in the past few years, is my State Assembly Representative. We usually share a cup of coffee, and discuss gun laws (especially CCW, which he backs). :)

14. RevGator

RevGator

I went out this afternoon for the first day of bow season. Absolutely nothing going on except for the three coons that wandered across the field. They were fun to watch but no deer showed up, EXCEPT for the other field had about six that I saw as I was going home.

That's my luck though.

15. onemilmhz

It only took all day Friday and Saturday (and some work last weekend) but all four food plots are plowed, leveled, fertilized and seeded! The roads have been bush hogged and shooting lanes cleared. The cabin has been given a good cleaning of wasp nests and spider webs and over the next few weeks we'll stock the kitchen. Our plots seem to grow each year and have gotten quite large but hopefully the long days will be worth it in November! The neighboring farm also put down peas around their corn field this weekend. Our stands are right between their field and our creek so hopefully we'll get some good traffic through the area. Good luck to everyone!