close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer marinade to soften wild taste

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Hard Charger, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Hard Charger

Hard Charger Plotting Member

I have a lady friend that doesn't like the wild taste of deer meat. What type of marinade will take some of the wild game taste out of it?

Years ago, I heard buttermilk, sweetmilk, or vinegar.

Anybody have any ideas?

TIA.

2. Guest

Plain french salad dressing for a day in the fridge is a cheap and easy one.

steve

3. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

I agree. Anything with vinegar and sugar in it. BBQ sauce, french dressing, etc. I'd avoid the milk.

4. Guest

HEY, Mark, mailed my negatives back yet???

Steve

5. Craigster

Craigster

My wife of 35 years would not eat Venison no matter what I did to it and its not my favorite eather, so I quit actively hunting deer. Elk no problem.

BUT

Last year while Pheasant hunting I spotted a big Buck to nice to pass up. Long story.

I CANNED IT ALL. Easy to do and stores on the shelf for a long time.
    Great in tacos, chili and whatever. Wife loves it and so has everyone Ive given a sample to.

Craig

6. m65swede

m65swede

Excellent idea! My folks absolutely loved canned beef; I never considered canning for venison.

We usta send an Angus steer from our farm to be killed at the local locker plant and my folks would request that half the meat be left for canning. We kids always got roped into helping. It was quite a project to prepare and can about 250# of boneless beef into 1 quart jars!

But what convenience and what good flavor. That stuff was great! :)

Thanks for the idea, Craigster. Though my wife and I like venison as is, the idea of canning some of it really appeals to me.

Swede

7. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

I've had canned venision. It is tender and lacks the wild taste. Good stuff! I have had vension steaks marinaded in Italian dressing. It is also a good way to cut the gamey taste of the old "skunk" bucks. I have also had venision that has been marinated in buttermilk. It, too, was good.

And, of course, you can alway make sausage out of it. In fact, I bet you could grind up your shoes and make good sausage if you added enough pork!

8. Craigster

Craigster

Swede.....Your welcome,

One thing to watch is "head space". If the jars are packed to full they will boil over and the lid wont seal (very bad thing) but that will be described in whatever instructions you use.

Second, I have found that because the meat is already cooked down a little goes a long way. I prefer smaller jars. Only two of us. A half-pint will net a little less than a pound of raw hamburger.

Third, the final product isn’t pretty like peaches. I trim all I can but any remaining fat will float to the top of the liquid forming an ugly white crust but its easy to remove this fat after you open the jar to use the meat.

Otherwise I thought it was easier than cutting, wrapping and grinding.

If you do it let me know how things turn out.

Craig

9. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

That is funny, I've never had venison that tasted bad, or wild, whatever that is. I've had some that was tough, or cooked to long, but it all tasted like venison.

10. m65swede

m65swede

As near as I can remember, Mom usta fill the jars only 2/3 or 3/4 full. We would cut the beef into one to 1 1/4 inch cubes.

The fat also floats to the top when canning beef. If I knew with absolute certainty that I had a "skunky" deer, I would trim off and discard all the deer fat and add some beef fat to the jars. As G36's Rule said, I've never had bad tasting venison yet, though I've heard others claim to have done so.

Swede

11. hoagie55

hoagie55

Here's what I do for deer steaks.

Go out and buy some Montreal Steak seasoning. Thaw your steaks completely (I thaw mine in water in the sink for an hour or two) then rinse off the blood with some water. Shake the seasoning on both sides and put in the fridge in a tupperware container overnight. Throw on the grill and you have a great steak!!!

You can also put butter on it before the seasoning as well.

12. leadbutt

leadbutt

Best way I have found is soak it over night cover in the cheapest litter bottle of coke you can find,then about an hour before grilling use Lawerys wild game

13. Craigster

Craigster

G36,
    The situation is that I've normally got many pounds of Elk, some beef, pork and various gamebirds in the freezer. Even though the deer I've brought home were processed correctly and good tasting, my wife likes Elk but has no taste for venison no matter how its prepaired. Deer hamburger and sausage are OK but there is also prefered ground Elk. Fresh back strap is very good but most of the rest of the deer ends up in the bottom of the freezer. Fact is over the years I've given away alot of the the venison to friends who like it or it gets freezer burn and thrown out. Because of this I had to give up actively deer hunting but still camp once a while to be with the guys. Last year while pheasant hunting on the east side of the state, I couldn't pass up a trophy buck and had to figure out a way that we would consume it. Canning worked very well for us, tacos last night. The point is, I can justify deer hunting again. Many people enjoy venison and now BOTH of us do to.

Swede,
    It's been over a year since I canned that deer and don't recall adding any liquid and added no fat, my recollection is the only thing I put into the jars was 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch cubes of fat-free meat and a very small pinch of salt. Cubing and trimming was a lot easier using a semifrozen quarter.

Proper canning procedures and recipes are very available and easy but important to follow. Improperly processed, canned food can be dangerous.

Anyway Ive got one for you guys...

Heart is great but I wish I could get a taste for fresh deer or Elk liver, outdoors it looks and smells good. Tried on many occasions, cooked by different experts and I'll eat it but just cant enjoy it. They have tried everything, I did like the onyons. In fact it has become a camp competition to see who can cook the best liver.
    Still no luck.
    Any ideas?

And finally.....

Last year I cooked up Elk testicles, mountain oysters, and ate them, that's one (or two) I wouldn't recommend.
    Maybe canned......Nah

Craig

14. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Craigster,

I understand that some folks don't like the taste of venison. But I have never understood the "wild" or "gamey" description. All animals have their own unique taste. I love Elk (no balls, thanks), Whitetail, Mule Deer... So does my wife. I guess I'm lucky.

I've eaten alot of small game too. Racoon, Armadillo;0 squirrel, rabbit... and liked most of it.

But I absolutely hate Ducks and Geese. Love to hunt them, but I can't eat them. So I don't hunt them.

15. Craigster

Craigster

G. 36

I understand what people mean when they say something tastes wild or gamie. What they really mean is this is a taste or texture they are not used to. I can understand that, after all if my mom knew how to cook liver when I was young I might like it now. Some countries warship cows and the thought of eating beef is unthinkable and other countries make a steady habit of eating dog (frankly I prefer cat).

Even if my wife had a taste for venison it's still not my favorite when there are options I prefer.

Shooting ducks and geese what a blast, but like you I don't care to eat them and Brittny's are not noted for their patients in a duck blind. So it's pheasants for me.

Squirrel and rabbit I've tasted, dad raised rabbits and other animals for food when I was a kid. Raccoon and armadillo I haven't had but would try it, probably tastes like chicken.

Have you ever eaten porcupine? Cleaning them could be a sticky situation, but seriously, I understand it's very good and tastes a lot like pork.

One more thing........with all the Glocks you own how come no G22?

Craig

16. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I used ot work in a grocery market.

And in the meat department, when steaks got "old" all of a sudden, they got marinated in Italian dressing.

Should knock that taste into yummy.

17. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

I have a replacement barrel in 40 S&W for the G32C, so that gives me a G23 when I want one. I would like to have all the different model Glocks, and one day I might, but lack of money I don't need for something else will make it a slow process. Unless I win the lottery.

18. smilinjimmy

smilinjimmy

a simple beer-egg batter. I've found that people who claim to not like deer meat eat this recipe without any bad comments. I love it for breakfast.

cut the meat into small steaks. (.75" -1" thick)
    put some flour in a ziplock bag, 1 cup for starters. Add your favorite spices. (I use Johnny salt, Ms. Dash, and lots of pepper)
    shake bag to mix ingredients. When at home, I'll put the "batter" on a plate. (it stays in the ziplock when camping).
    mix up 1/2 can beer to 2 eggs. (I use Alaskan Amber, when I can find it.)
    dip the meat in egg-beer, then coat generously with batter. Fry in vegetable oil. Medium flame on gas burner. (don't cook too slow, it'll get a little chewy)

When juices show on top side, flip over and finish cooking.
    eat and enjoy.
    Just my .02, it worked for me!

Smilin' now, gonna have to raid the freezer when I get home. Sudden desire to cook venison. This thread done made me hungry.

19. GUNZEALOT

GUNZEALOT Up all night

I just had some seasoned venison a couple of hours ago. I unthaw the steaks put them in a ziplock baggy cover them with cooking oil and then put in a couple of tablespoons of Emeril's Essence seasoning. Let it sit in the fidge for 24 hours and then grill them up. Make sure not to overcook it. For a steak or chop about 1/2 inch thick, I cook it 4-5 minutes a side on medium low heat on my gas grill. It is the best tasting venison I have tried.

20. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I don't recall ever having a bad deer (or moose or caribou) steak unless it had not been properly cared for.

It should be field-dressed immediantly, cooled, kept dry and clean then processed promptly.

I seldom eat beef so I think it tastes funny. Sorta tasteless and cardboardie.

I think a good steak requires no marinade or steak sauce.

But the answer to your question may be Chicken-fried-steak!
    Pound it, batter it, then fry it.