close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer hunting with an SKS

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by ColSanders, Jul 23, 2004.

1. ColSanders

ColSanders Extra Crispy

Are you supposed to limit the capacity to 5 or something? If so, how do you do that? Anyone ever try it?

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I'm not sure, but I would think a block in the magazine well, underneath the follower would be acceptable. Similar to the plug in shotguns.

3. MCM8691

MCM8691

A plugged mag would work and be perfectly legal, but 5 rd. SKS mags are readily available. If you're going deer hunting, I would also recommended that you use ammo that has non-bimetal, jacketed soft point bullets.

4. RugerFan58

RugerFan58

Your mag can't hold more than 5 rds. to be legal to hunt with in most states. I bought one but I'm not sure what brand it is. I'll check. Norinco makes some nice hunting ammo. Pretty sure it's HP. SKS is a nice gun to bushwack with. Don't mind scratching it.;c

5. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

My advise is to keep the SKS in stock configuration for plinking and for SHTF.

Get a Winchester M94 in .30-30 for deer or better yet, get a .54 caliber Hawken percussion rifle from T/C Arms.

6. Guest

Out here in CA, we can use ANY centerfire rifle and there IS NO magazine capacity restriction. We can use a (registered) AK-47 with a 30 round magazine if we really wanted to.

That's not hunting though.

7. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Might be a good idea for hunters to start using guns from the list of guns the grabbers say "you cant hunt ______ with a ______".

8. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

If I were seriously considering hunting here I would most likely take my Mauser, I don't have a real nice deer rifle. I am considering a lever action Marlin and/or a Remington 700 in .308.

An SKS would be alright out to about 150-200 yards.

9. Glocker74

Glocker74

I would like to put a scope or red dot on an SKS for deer. I'm talking 100-150 yards max. Any suggestions? I am not familiar with the red dot...

10. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

As long as you are accurate, that is what matters most, hitting in the right place, I guess a red dot would be ok... Don't know what I would reccomend though...

I saw an ACOG today! Those things are FREAKIN AWESOME!!

11. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

They make a five round magazine for the SKS to make it legal for hunting. Its comparable to a 30-30 so its decent for hunting, I would buy a rear apature sight, and just hunt with that i wouldnt worry about scoping since most the scope mounts are a replaceable top cover and it needs to fit tight to keep the scope zero. Other way would to see if you could find a foward rail that mounted to the handguards and use and exteneded eye relif scout scope, or mound a red dot style sight, you can use a red dot out to 300M if it has a 4moa dot, i make hits out to 300M with a COMPm2 aimpoint but the SKS isnt a 300m hunting rifle. Find some good soft point ammo i know would is makeing some know that I would check out.

12. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

Somebody in my camp used an SKS with open sights to shoot a BIG doe last fall at about 35 yards. Hit her shoulderbone, then she ran along the side of the hill about 20 yards and rolled down onto the trail. The bullet seems not to have expanded, but tumbled around after hitting the bone. Left a heck of a bloodtrail to follow. About 3 feet wide.

13. akbound

akbound

I would check your state's regulations. Some states do not require a firearm restricted to a capacity at all.

Dave