Deer Hunting this year.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by GeorgiaGlockMan, Oct 30, 2005.

1. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I've been having a blast deer hunting this year and I haven't even arrowed or shot one yet. Well except today when it was a helava lot colder than I dressed for and the times the dog packs have swung through!

I've been out probably 7 or 8 times so far this season (3 full day sits and others in 1/2s). Yeah, a couple of times I haven't even seen any deer, but have always gotten a surprise by several turkey, quail, racoon fight, etc.

I've been pretty selective this year. A couple of 6 pntrs temped me today, but I've decided to hold out for a better one since it would be the first deer taken off of my new land.

Here is a deer that has been making the rounds. I guess I've got 10 or so pics of him mostly late at night or before light. Most recently the bucks have been showing up a little later in the morning; finally while it is light out.

I think the rut in my area is just around the corner.

God - I love the woods.

Feel free to share your pics here......

2. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

id love to hunt that one!

3. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

nice. Hope you pull a big one off your new land, buddy.

;g

;8 ;I

4. Frank in Montana

Frank in Montana

Been hunting whitetails here in MT for many years and THE best way to kill a big buck seems to be during the rut. Do those GA bucks respond to "doe in heat" lure or rattling horns?? I'd set up either a scent station or try to rattle him in. A buddy and I will switch off rattling while the other waits on the trail that hopefully will take the buck to the rattler.

The Tink's #69 doe in heat lure seems to work VERY well out here. I set up several scent stations in my hunting area then try to glass them from a distance to see whats visiting. MT to GA hunting is two different situations I know .......but it may work for you.

The buck digital attached was taken with a .280 Rem at 250 yds across a field from a few scent stations he was visiting. So the doe in heat scents worked.

FN in MT

5. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Frank that's a dandy.

This year I've just started putting out tinks 69(2X so far). Once was a no go, the other time I had a 6 pntr on the trail but he just ignored the drenched scent wicks and cruised on by (maybe a week or so too early or maybe we are population skewed on the doe side of the line). Rattling has been unproductive for me this season so far but I haven't given it up (I know it works). I can say that I was rattling with a bag lightly and had a spike cross my ambush spot last week. I am not convinced that the rattling brought him in though.

I will say that I am on a good spot and have done my scouting homework.

After sitting in the dense GA woods this year, I am dreaming of long range hunting again (I am from TX originally). This past weekend I brushed in a ground blind looking down one of my clear cuts/roads about 200yds long x 50 yds wide. I hope to see a little chasing in this doe bedding area this coming weekend. I actually had to search the cut to find some choppable trees without rubbings on them for my blind brushing.

This weekend should be "prime time". I can't wait.

My wonderful wife has given me the go ahead to hunt as much as I can stand this weekend. You can bet I will be out there pre-dawn to dark-30 both Sat and Sun.

Good luck everyone.

6. Frank in Montana

Frank in Montana

NO rut activity here yet in central Montana. Not even that many bucks out feeding with the does. Cooler weather on the way with some snow by the weekend expected. THAT may get them interested.

Out here generally the time right around Thanksgiving (give or take a few days) seems to be when the rut is in full swing.

FN in MT