close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer hunting in the rain question

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BlackBelt, Nov 10, 2004.

1. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

I've got the day off tomorrow to hunt, but it's supposed to rain all day. Do the whitetail deer still move when it's raining, or do they tend to lay down?
    Anyone had experience with this?

2. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

;Q Yes, they tend to lay down; however, they will, also, feed close to cover. I would rather go deer hunting on any rainy day rather than a clear one. The opportunities to, 'still hunt' (What a ludicrous misnomer!) are excellent. Your scent doesn’t travel; your movements are muffled; and, if you stick to the south side of things, you’re sure to roust deer. Good luck! ;)

3. vafish

vafish

2nd largest buck I have ever shot was in the rain. I missed his twin brother (went for a neck shot because I didn't want to track in the rain and missed cleanly) about 10 mins before I got a shot at him. He was following a doe.

Moderate rain doesn't bother deer.

4. TexAg

TexAg

Look down a few threads for "Opening Day Report from N. Texas" and you will see a pic of a buck taken by my brother in heavy mist. He and my Dad were stalking and saw him laying down, scratching himself; he never knew what hit him.