Deer Hunting - Gen4 G23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by az520ac, Nov 5, 2010.

1. az520ac

az520ac

Hey Guys,

I just got back from a 1 week Deer Hunt on the Boarder of Arizona and Mexico. Even thought we didn't get anything, i have 2 say that i felt pretty comfortable having my Gen4 G23 with Glock Night Sites by my side at all times when camping out by the boarder in a remote area where u can't even get cell signal.

And for people who are saying the Gen4 Grip is too "Abrasive" i had this thing on me when walking miles and miles up mountains and foothills, Sleeping, riding in the truck and just hanging out around camp and many times i had to reach down and check 2 make sure it was still there.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. az520ac

az520ac

3. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

I thought you were hunting deer with a G23! Glad that was not the case...

4. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

I have to say that, although I believe the G23 is a near-perfect balance of size, power and weight, in an era of Mexican drug smugglers with automatic rifles, a handgun might be only a last resort. Obviously, your deer rifle would be your first choice for your protection, while your handgun would be the thing you kept by your side at all times (to fight your way to your rifle, perhaps). Glad you made it back. Arizona is beautiful, in my opinion. I might just have to trade in my Gen 3 G23 for a Gen 4 version.

Also, just noticed you are pretty new to GT, so welcome!

5. Just1More

Just1More

How do you hunt deer in the heat? Do you butcher it and eat it real quick?

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Nope. You butcher it and bag it and get on ice bags in an ice chest right fast. OR, you can put in the cooler shack (after skinning) and let it cure for about 7 days (my favorite) and then cut it up.

Of course you could always scarf it all down at one big mesquite camfire session with friends if y'all were real hungry and it was a 100# deer! :rofl:

CM

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  7. az520ac

az520ac

I agree, i was carrying a 5 shot 30-06 all day but at night when u cant use your rifle my G23 with night sites was my primary firearm.

And Thanks for the Welcome :cool:

8. az520ac

az520ac

You skin it, cover it and hang it from a tree in camp. It gets pretty cold at night up in the mountains.