close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer hunter says he shot teen with bow and arrow

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by bmorge, Oct 30, 2002.

1. bmorge

bmorge

October 29, 2002 (Mount Vernon, Ill.) — A New Athens man was hunting deer with a bow and arrow when he says he accidentally shot a teenager in the chest who had scared away his prey, according to authorities.
    Steven Kemp, 17, of Dix, was upgraded from critical to stable condition Tuesday at Good Samaritan Hospital in this southern Illinois city, hospital spokeswoman Kathy Atchison said.

Kemp was riding his recreational, all-terrain vehicle with friends near North Miller Lake Saturday afternoon when Donald Foutch Jr., who was hunting deer in the area, complained and tried to get the group to stop, according to police reports and court papers.

Police say Foutch, 41, complained the teens had scared away a deer he had been watching from his hunting stand.

An argument ensued, and Foutch partially drew back his quick-release bow as if he were going to shoot his arrow at Kemp, witnesses said.

Foutch told police he then slipped, "and the bow just went off," according to court papers. He was standing about three feet away from the teenager at the time.

The arrow pierced Kemp's lung, narrowly missed his heart and extended through the back of his shoulder, witnesses said. Doctors later said they used more than 20 units of blood treating the teen.

Foutch, who administered first aid to Kemp, was charged with aggravated battery and possession of drug equipment. Police said they found a marijuana pipe with what appeared to be residue of the drug in his car nearby.

Foutch remained at Jefferson County Jail Tuesday on $60,000 bond. His arraignment was scheduled for Nov. 21.

2. Menehune

Menehune

Stupid F'er!

It just went off...

Sorry your hunting got pissed on pal, but that is no reason to even act like you are going to shoot someone. I hope someone in prison puts a shaft in this guy.

I have been in the woods, sitting at the base of a tree, watching a nice animal, when a group of four guys on ATV's blasted through. One saw me, and they all turned back to me. I just said oh well and walked away. I let them know they were on private land, and that they needed to leave, but I never decided to point my Sendero at them. This is the kind of guy who gives hunting a bad name. Even if they were starting crap with him, unless they outright threatened him, or produced a weapon, he should have cooled his heels and walked away.

Then put a stick through a tire on the ATV.

3. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

perfect example as why to get a private lease. everyone is out for the same thing.

4. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I would have to disagree. ;) Perfect example of why not to point a loaded weapon even a bow at something unless your willing to kill/destroy it. Hope his cell mate's name is Bubba and is quite well endowed ;)

5. cadillacdl

cadillacdl TOW Gunner

Darn pot smokin hippies, always causin trouble!

6. podwich

podwich

"Bow just went off"?!?! You have to draw the damn thing yourself to provide any energy to the projectile. That and you have to aim it too.

"Foutch partially drew back his quick-release bow..." Great. Now they're going to call these things high-powered assault bows. Excuse me, but what the hell is a quick-release bow? I've yet to see one that travels in slow motion or something.

Why can't people take some damned responsibility for their dumbassed actions?

7. mikescooling

mikescooling

Hay powwich, what was reported as a quick-release bow is actually the release for the string. They are some type of trigger like on a gun but vary light like 2or3lbs.

Also on most bows you only have to pull back 5" or so, and its a pretty safe bet at 3ft you have killing capability.
    This guy who shot the kid was an idot.:(

8. podwich

podwich

Yeah, I have a mechanical release for my bow. What gets me is that they call it a quick-release when I think that simply using a finger release would be even quicker (relax your fingers). But they can't outlaw fingers (yet), can they. Might as well blame the release.

I don't know. Lately I've been getting rather irked with the way all these inanimate objects have been hurting people by just "going off". That and it's a good thing we got that "sniper rifle" off the street. ;Q

Agreed on the mental status of the shooter.

9. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

It all boils down to--this guy is an idiot--he never should have drawn his bow in the first place.I have had people ruin my hunt before---it does suck--but not worth getting into any kind of fight over.

10. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

That lost deer just cost that bow hunter a lot.

All of those injuries for a deer.

Sorry, but I'd pack it up for the day and chaulk it up to a lesson.

When he pulled back that bow, he did it intentionally and all of the excuses in the world won't stop the civil action that teen is planning.

Never point a weapon at any human unless in serious personal defense for life or death. But for a deer. He's gonna pay!

11. Edge

Edge Millennium Member

I work 50 miles from there and will be in Mt. Vernon Thursday. Hadn't heard about it yet.

I've had tresspassers on our land quite a few times and can understand why a person would be extremely irked. I strongly support making the anti-tresspass laws stricter, but...

I've also shot bows for a long time and have a hard time believing he didn't come to an almost full draw with it to make it "extended through the back of his shoulder". Flesh is easy enough to penetrate, but there's a bunch of bones in that area to squeeze between or go through.

I have used fingers and mechanical releases on my bows, but any experienced archer knows how to handle them so they don't go off.

In this instance, several people made mistakes and have or will pay the price.

12. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

I believe the reports on this guy are a mistake, they called him a hunter, no self respecting hunter would ever use drugs or alcohol, it's not only assnine it's against the law, which by the way would make him a poacher! This dumbass deserves everything he gets! I hope he's slapped with a felony charge and not only loses all his weapons, but his right to hunt! This is the type of jackass everyone hears about and refers to when talking about "hunters"!We do not need pot smoking (or alcohol drinking) idiots out there making a bad name for the rest of us!!!!!!!:(

13. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

No, only guns are evil here in the big Ill.. for now.

Look out folks... here comes the "restricted capacity quiver". It only holds 2 arrows.;f

14. dammy

dammy wed to REDNECK!

Yeah , but you can still get pre-ban quivers (for only 199.99) capable of holding 6 , with one on the rest!!!;f

15. paulito

paulito

Now does anyboyd agree with that dumbass that one deer is worth $60,000? i bet that guy really regrets spending that much on a deer when he could have spent it all on hash. it's idiots like him that give us (law abiding) hunters a bad name. he must have been using one of those new magic arrows that wiggle their way in between bones. was this guy high at the time, or is he just an original idiot without the aid of drugs? either way he still lower than snake crap in my books. is the accidental target doing ok now? i bet that idiot turned his victim and all of the victims family and friends into pro-hunters now. Good Job!!!