close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer are they Smarter than US?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mossy500camo, Feb 23, 2006.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Well.. Whitetail deer hunting has come and gone here in DIXIE (Alabama). I hunted all season long everything from public land to private property, and went on hunts with friends/ co-workers. Im here to tell you guys and gals that deer are smarter than us. NO? As I said I hunted all season long, I didnt see, hear or even saw hide nor hair of a buck or doe. I saw a few guys around that had taken a BIG BUCK or two. But me? Nope... :( The first glimpse that I have saw of a deer was yesterday, when I got in my ol Ford P/U truck and went to check on my buddies cattle. I went down a hill (slid half the way due to rain). To my left was a old wooden bridge. As I went over the bridge I saw something in the corner of my eye. It was a BIG WHITETAIL BUCK! I just sit and watched as he crossed over the barbed wire fence. And I thought to myself as much time as I spend down here I never once thought to hunt this place. This morning I got my binoc's out and took a look and what did I see? Two DOES seem to be looking back at me. Wow!

2. noway

noway

Will I wouldn't call them smarter than us but they aren't totally stupid ;)

So you saw no deer? did you hunt where deer travel? did you see any signs of deer being present ( scat/rubs/tacks ). If you can't answer yes to all of the above, pick a new location and I think you should already have line hotspot for next year season if that spot you saw that big buck is legally accessible for you ;)

Good luck and don't give up. If you fail that old saying of; " try and try again" applies !

3. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Deer are creatures of the woods - they certainly know it better than us. They see and sense (ok smell) things differently than us. I wouldn't call that smart in the Einstein sense of the term.

I concentrate on "low intrusion hunting".

I like to go by myself and sneak into my stand sites. Several guys walking through the woods probably sounds like a pack of elephants to deer.

I concentrate on scent control to almost an absurd degree (washing me and everything I bring in with me, cover scent and blocker suits) AND hunt the wind. I see 50-100X more deer than I actually shoot so something with this regiment is working. Usually after the season's first doe opportunities, I am looking for mr. big rack. I know there are several there I've trail cammed them countless times in several areas.

Like No-way said deer have to be where you are hunting to be able to see them. Scout the area, look for sign, and most of all think low intrusion. You can usually tell if someone has been in your house, room or office can't you? Deer are the same way only they can smell you, your trail and how long ago you were there as well. If your hunting areas that are all of a sudden flooded with hunters and their smell, the deer will most certainly go nocturnal. The only time you'll probably see them is early am and pm just before dark. I like to sit in a stand all day just on the off chance that the afternoon flow of hunter may drive a few my way.

Another thing that will significantly effect the deer movement is food availability. Maybe your neighbors just planted a food plot or put out a supplemental feeder. That will move them from your area in a flash.

I know deer grow accustom to some type of human activity. Cars going by and farming are a couple. How many deer do you see on the side of the road that just stand there as you drive by honking the horn as much as you can. Stop the car and they may or may not stand there. Get out and let them see you - they'll show tail. Deer for the most part don't recognize cars with a threat. The one's that do die shortly thereafter from being hit. I can drive right up to deer or have had them walk right up to my tractor with me on it yelling at them. Stop the tractor with it still running stand up on it and they'll split. Human on a tractor = OK Human off a tractor = bye-bye.

The deer on my place are just recovering from huntin season after being driven nocturnal by me and surounding properties. I am also starting to see alot more of the older/smarter deer in daylight than I did during the season. The good ones hole up in their core area. I will not go into that area period. I want a safe haven for them so they don't relocate.

How do you hunt? Stalk, tree stand, ground blind?

4. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

tree stand and/or ground.

5. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

It can be a little frusterating seeing deer coming out now that you KNOW were in the area during the hunt season.

I guess the big ones don't get big by being stupid. I think I have a couple of nice bucks that have their bed sores just about healed up now.

Better luck next year. When you connect next time, it will be twice as sweet.

6. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Another factor is motivation.

Your motivation for hunting is recreation...

... for the deer, it's survival.

If it were a matter of survival for you, I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems finding the deer.

7. noway

noway

ditto on hat wilard said. A deer biggest goal is not to be come somebody mount or has his racks mounted on a wall ;)

One other thing on pre-hunting scounting and actual deer season. Deer are set in their ways but when the pressure is up, they will not follow a set establish pattern and that holds true for the older doe/buck. Now the younger deer are pretty much stupid and normally these are the 1st to get a bullet in the lungs.

8. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Mossy, what part of "Bama you hunting? I have a friend that goes down every January and He got 2 good 8's and a doe. Hopefully I'll be going with him next year (Going to save all my fur money!) If I do go we'll be hunting the Oakmulgee wildlife management area. That's were he's hunted the last few years and has had pretty good success. Me, Im just hoping to get into some hogs, I can shoot deer up here anytime! Good luck and good Huntin'!;f

9. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Deer "smarter" than us? Nope. I've seen them do incredibly "stupid" things. But they do have better senses (especially hearing and scenting... but their eyesight is NOT as good as ours), and their entire existance depends on those better senses. You have to remember that they are in their environment 24/7, and we are not. Avoiding predators is a 24/7 job for them. Rather than use the term "smart", I'd use "over-cautious". Like Willard said, it's motivation, and survival instincts for them.

IMO, If you're not seeing any deer, it's because of one of three reasons. Either you're hunting where there are no deer, the deer that are there are aware of your presence and they're avoiding you, or they're there and you're just not seeing them. Deer are very well "camoflauged" by nature, and our main sense in locating them is by sight... followed by, to a lesser degree, sound. Scent (a deer's main method of avoiding danger) is not a factor at all for us in finding them. But if you play the wind right, you can neutralize a deer's main defensive measure for detecting you.

As for our main method of locating deer by sight, too many hunters look for the wrong things. It's very unlikely to see deer like you see them in hunting magazines... standing broadside in an open field. I've been with hunters with much less experience than my 40 years of deer hunting, and I've seen deer in the woods at less than 50 yards, that they could not see even after I pointed them out to them. ;Q To be a good "deer spotter", you must spend a lot of time in the woods, and look for little things that are out of place. Without this time spent, you won't know what's out of place. One thing to look for is anything in the woods that's horizontal, about 3' above the ground. All living trees and plants grow vertically. The only things in the woods that are horizontal at 3' above the ground are downed trees, and the backs of deer. Anything "white" is out of place in the woods where I hunt, and odds are if you see white, it could be a deer's ears, throat, belly, tail, etc. Another thing I sometimes see that tips me off to a deer's presence is a black "spot", surrounded by white... a deer's nose on it's white muzzle. Typically, that's the first part of a deer I see.

I live out in the woods, where the deer roam freely. There's a dozen or more that spend 75% of their time within 200 yds of my house (especially in the winter, cuz I feed them corn everyday ;)). So I have the luxury of almost constantly being able to observe them, and their behavior, in their own environment. The main thing I've learned from this, and the thing that helps me the most in "seeing" deer in the woods while hunting, is that their tails are almost always in motion. They seem to forget about their tails when they "freeze" because of something they sense in the woods. IMO, a deer cannot go 30 seconds without a flick of that tail. I cannot count the number of otherwise "invisible" deer I've spotted out in the woods, by a simple flick of their tail.