close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dedicated Ar in 22lr

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by mac66, Apr 29, 2013.

1. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Just got a notice about an AR in 22 from Palmetto. It has a Omni polymer lower which is compatible with all AR uppers. It has a mil spec buffer tube and stock, though I suppose the buffer and spring are not included since you don't need them for a 22. Upper is M4 type, flat top with FSB. It uses the common, Ceiner type, CMMG, Black Dog etc mags. Cost is a penny short of $400.

Seems to me that you could buy that, split them up and make money on the deal. A complete lower w/stock even if it was an Omni is probably worth more than $200. From what I see a dedicated 22 upper is worth $300-350 if you can even find one at that price.

Deal or no deal?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. wct097

wct097

I personally wouldn't give $200 for a complete poly lower, but in theory, that could happen. I think I spent about $450 on a CMMG upper to put on a standard AR lower that I had, so you might have something there.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

No experience with Palmetto or Omni. I can highly recommend CMMG and Spikes.
    Almost sounds like a deal too good to be true.......

4. mac66

I already have a Spikes 22 conversion kit. It works ok but I was kind of looking for a complete 22 upper. My thinking is that I could buy this rifle, sell the lower, sell the conversion kit which are now worth about twice what I paid for it and pretty much break even. If I sold the upper as well I could probably make a buck off it.

In regards to the Omni lower. S&W MP 15-22s use a polymer lower but are not compatible with other AR uppers.

Here's the link...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...tm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

5. wct097

wct097

I'm willing to bet that the upper on that rifle is a polymer upper as well.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Polymer upper, polymer lower,........not worth docking with.
    Get a dedicated .22lr upper, stick with your conversions, or buy a S&W

7. mac66

You are right. It uses a polymer Chiappa Arms upper which I think is what the Colt AR 22 uses. I also read some mixed reviews on this rifle. Pretty much everything is plastic including the FSB, barrel nut etc. I am going to pass on it.

8. wct097

wct097

I don't remember the brand of plastic/poly .22lr upper I saw at a gun shop once, but the thing that stuck me the most about how cheap it felt was the fact that the receiver actually bowed in a bit on the sides.... like someone squeezed it and it didn't come back.

That alone turned me off from polymer ARs.

9. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

That is a deal, I think a polymer lower is perfect for a dedicated .22 lr build. MUCH less stress on it than 5.56.

I have a CMMG .22 lr upper that cost me close to $500(plus almost $300 for the dedicated lower its on) and its worth every penny! 100 percent reliable and as accurate if not more so than my 10/22. Almost all the fun of shooting a AR for a fraction of the price. It was more fun when .22 lr ammo was easily replaceable, though.

10. mac66

I don't have a problem with the polymer lowers, I have a couple Cav Arms lowers. However, the polymer upper is of concern. Apparently the barrel nut is plastic, the FSB is plastic and held on with a set screw. This isn't a AR upper using a 22 lr barrel like the CMMG, this a cheap plastic upper disguised as an AR.