Deciding Between "New" Carry Round.... My Choices

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by jpohl402, Feb 23, 2010.

1. jpohl402

jpohl402

Narrowed it down to mainly these three.
    Yes, they all fire fine in all of my guns.
    Have been going back and forth about this.
    Don't really want slow 147 grain.

Like Hornady Critical Defense because of "clothing piercing" and low flash for night situations. Don't like 115 grain. Also don't like some rounds that don't fire for others.
    Like Speer Gold Dot because it is legendary. But with the large cavity, worry it may get clogged or stuck on thick clothes.
    Like Winchester PDX1 because it is bonded, supposed to remain intact as passing through things like glass/car doors - but have also heard bad things about the bonding.
    Can't really find Ranger T in my area....

Decided NO on Magtech Guardian Gold because of supposed low reliability (haven't tried myself.)
    And completely unsure/no experience with PMC Starfire 124 grain.

Thoughts?
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. Lobo

Lobo Who farted??

3. LEAD

LEAD

I have had no problems with cor-bon dpx in my g23, the DPX is similar in structure to the guardian gold.
    Winchester ranget T can be found many places online. PDX1 is very similar to it except its bonded, it dosn't produce as sharp talons because of this, and I believe you will pay more for the PDX1s.
    I don't think the Gold dots clog any easier than the Winchester loads you've mentioned, and deep cavities lead to less likely probability of clogging as more material is needed in order to cause a clog. Magtech or cor-bon DPX have the deepest cavities of the rounds I've discussed.

Fact is that expansion is not certain but is desirable, I think the differences in expansion reliability of the rounds we've mentioned are very minute. The critical defense round is likely ot have a slight edge.

I would carry in order of preference:
    Ranger T
    PDX1
    Cor-Bon DPX ( pretty much Gardian Gold)
    Speer GD
    Hornady

In this order because I like the winchester line in terms of how the bullet opens up and effects wounding. DPX is very good at this as well
    The speer and horandy offerings mentioned open to reveal more rounded petals that arne't likely to lacerate as the Ranger Ts, PDX1s and DPX/GGs.

Really we're splitting hairs here, and the best value is likely to be had in a 50 round Win Ranger T box. Corbon or magtech are likely to be the most costly.

4. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

Some of the "slow" 147gr are actually top performers. I wouldn't count them out. It's not the 80's anymore.

5. jpohl402

jpohl402

The ONLY thing I don't like about the Corbon DPX (have heard many positive things) is that they are un-necessarily expensive !
    $32 for a box of 20 is too stiff....
    I know some will say "don't put a price on your life" etc,
    However I truly don't plan on using these rounds - plus I'm sure the ones I mentioned are very similar.
    Also when you have five magazines to fill, this can be costly.

I will check out the 147 grain.
    Do ALL of them travel slower than the speed of sound?
    Is Federal HST the Hydra Shok rounds?

6. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

Yes they are all subsonic to my knowledge(may be a few reloaded exceptions) and NO the HST is not the hydra shok.....The 147gr HST and 147gr Ranger T are one of the top performers in 9mm.

7. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

Correction Double tap ammo claims 1135fps with 147gr ...speed of sound is 1125fps. But again for all practical purposes most 147gr 9mm is subsonic

8. jpohl402

jpohl402

Thanks for your help

9. MURRAY

MURRAY Millennium Member

147 Ranger T or HST

10. jpohl402

jpohl402

Can't find either anywhere -
    only the ugly Hydra-Shoks.....

Even looked online - every frickin store is sold out or on backorder - frustrating !

11. N/Apower

N/Apower

Not only that, but you have 200+ rounds to fire for function-check with whichever you settle on.

I recommend the Gold Dot if you think you might ever encounter a barrier, and HST if you don't.

HydraShok is out-dated. Good for it's time, but an anachronism now days.

12. N/Apower

N/Apower

Depends on elevation and weather conditions, too. We don't know where the guy lives.

13. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cor-Bon DPX, if you can afford it.

14. BMcDonald7

BMcDonald7

I would also advise 147gr HST if you can ever find it. Corbon DPX is also at the top, i got lucky and grabbed a box of 200 from ammunitiontogo for $200 when they had them in stock.

Other great option in order of my preference
    124+P HST
    124+P Gold Dot
    147 Ranger-T
    127+P+ Ranger-T

15. JBP55

JBP55

I would add Golden Saber to the above list.

16. ssilvestro

ssilvestro

Magtech Guardian Gold and Corbon DPX have absolutely NOTHING in common. One (the Guardian Gold) is a traditional lead-and-copper JHP, while the other (the DPX) is of an all-copper, homogeneous design. Perhaps you're confusing Magtech's First Defense line of copper projectiles with the Guardian Gold? Even still, the DPX is superior, IMO -- Magtech's offerings are underweight for caliber, while the Corbon loads are usually just on the light side (case in point: Magtech First Defense in 9mm: 92.6 grains / Corbon DPX in 9mm: 115 grains).

17. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

124+P Gold Dot, for 9mm. Like you said, legendary. Best combination of expansion and penetration. It's bonded. It's relatively easier to find.

18. jpohl402

jpohl402

Exactly - 200+ rounds of testing as well (forgot to mention that)

Sorry but Corbon DPX is too expensive....
    Trust me I can afford it, but I also think that "cheaper" ammo is fully capable of similar results....

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

To me, availability is the #1 thing to consider when looking for self defense ammo. If you can't get it, its pointless. Then reliability, then accuracy. What the box says is pretty low on my list. Ammo of similar weight, pretty much performs the same with only minor differences. So deciding between 124gr this, and 124gr that.. is splitting hairs. Even different grains(124gr vs 147) don't perform that differently. We're talking less than 1-2in of penetration and .2-.4 differences in expansion. Is this really something to get yourself worked into a frenzy about? Work on placement, rather than brand.

From your first post, sounds like you're leaning towards either the Gold Dot or the PDX1(both of which are bonded by the way) due to availability. Get a couple boxes of each, and go shoot just those two, side by side, and see which you like better, then stick with it and PRACTICE!

IGF

20. LEAD

LEAD

Correct, I thought the GGs were thier lead free offering. I would also agree that the DPX is probably a better loading as Cor-bon always has high velocities, but I haven't shot the First Defense rounds so I can't say for better or worse how they perform, I assume that they are similar to an economy version of the DPX.