Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha, from The Mountain State.

I've decided to go with a Trijicon RMR for my 19 MOS, but have no idea which model I should choose. The best I can offer for what I'd like is no dual illumination, a dot size somewhere in the middle, and a broad field of view, if there is a field of a view choice. If you haven't guessed by now, I'll just put it out straight that I have no idea what I'm doing. The only thing I know for sure is I am ordering a C&H Industries RMR adapter plate.

Thanks so much in advance for any assistance you folks can give a clueless hillbilly.

Aaron

·
Registered
21,487 Posts
The type 2 and the 6.5 moa dot should work. Have to decide if you want auto adjusting or manual adjustment.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I went with the Trijicon SRO over the RMR. My MOS also came with the adapter plate for the RMR/SRO. You will need to shorten the screws for the Optic. Well I had to for the SRO anyway.

Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I have the RMO7 with the 6.5 moa dot. If you plan to use it for self defense, the bigger dot size is easier to find, hence you can get it on center of mass more quickly. I have a friend who likes to show off at the NRA shooting range in Virginia who likes to shoot the centers out of the ace of spades to impress people. He uses the RMR with the small dot for more accuracy.

·
Consummate Reloader
1,405 Posts
For carry or home defense, you probably want the always on with 6.5 dot, the RM02-C-700607. This is the slick side one with no buttons. I wish they had shake to wake like most everybody else.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I did have my RM07 fail on me once in the several years that I have used them. It happened when a friend asked to fire my G29. I handed it to him and told him to look for the red dot. He told me that there was no red dot. I checked he was correct. I then told him to use the iron sights because the weapon was co-witnessed. After he fired a round the light came back on but it was intermittent. Latter I removed the battery and found some grease on it. I cleaned it thoroughly and never had that problem again.

SmokelessPowder above makes a good point. My thinking is that in a real fire fight I'll be firing shots at the target as fast as I can using only muscle memory. If I have the luxury of aiming, I'll use which ever sight aid comes into view first.

When I practice I use the red dot and hope that practicing firing with the red dot as an aid help get my muscle memory trained so the weapon is automatically held on target.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have had an RMR on my EDC guns for almost 9 years now. I have had all the different sizes and styles.
Just starting to use a red dot you will probably think the larger 6.5 dot is better, just because it is larger and seems easier to find. After you have enough practice and shooting time in, using a red dot that size is not really any advantage. You will find out the smaller 3.25 dot is no harder to find than the larger one. That all comes from practice and you will need alot of that to get your skill level developed. I prefer the smaller 3.25 dot since it gives much more precision for making head shots at longer distances. I shoot my EDC guns as my match guns, so the smaller dot helps a bit for match shooting but does not hinder everyday use.
If you have an astigmatism then the adjustable brightness models will most likely work best for you. I had a strong astigmatism until my cataract surgery fixed it with a new lens. If the dot appears blurry or blooms usually 1 or 2 clicks down in the brightness setting will sharpen up the dot making it much clearer. If you have no problem with your eye sight the non- adjustable models should serve you well. If at all possible get a chance to at least look through several models and even better shoot some guns with the models you are interested in. Regardless you will need lots of dry fire work to get comfortable presenting and using your new RMR equipped gun. Enjoy the journey.

·
Consummate Reloader
1,405 Posts
For EDC I don't expect to have time to draw my gun and manually adjust the brightness. For competition sure, I want a smallish dot with manual brightness adjustment. However, I mostly shoot my RMR-C model when I practice so I know what to expect. It's not always optimal but it's more than good enough and well, it's always on and ready.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts