Decided it was time to go to college

Discussion in 'Business Forum' started by slimjim12, Nov 16, 2016.

1. slimjim12

slimjim12

How we doing guys, I recently applied for a grant and it turns out they will basically pay for me to go back to school. I more less did this out of wishful thinking, So now that its actually happening I need some advice. I cant decide if i want to go for business or hospitality. I work in a kitchen at a restaurant as a kitchen apprentice, i basically wash dishes and help cook and learn when im caught up on that. And I really like it, which is why im leaning toward hospitality. Any advice for me boys?

n2g and kaisooba like this.
  2. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

hospitality is long hours, hard work, low pay and doing it for someone else.
    Business on the other hand is much more universal and probably will net you better pay and working conditions.

kaisooba and duncan like this.

3. flyover

flyover

I thought you were going back for the booze and chicks.

kaisooba likes this.
  4. Big Texas One

Big Texas One

My son graduated near the top of his class at the Bill Harrah school of Hotel Admin, UNLV, along with 3,000 other. He had already been placed in a management job with the Four Seasons, and was on of about 15 called up on stage during the graduation ceremony for recognition. After the ceremony was over, I asked him what about the other 3,000 kids that graduated, what were they going to be doing, he replied, "they'll be night clerks in motels". At first I thought it was funny, but after a few years in the hospitality business, and seeing the pay scale and the lack of good paying jobs, I realised he wasn't being a smart ass, he was being realistic.

Go for business

kaisooba likes this.
  5. slimjim12

slimjim12

Well then. I might need to replan after reading theese

kaisooba likes this.
  6. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

With a business degree, you can get an interview at many businesses. No question.

kaisooba and mc1911 like this.
  7. Giwlirnia

Giwlirnia

You might do well in hospitality but if you like to start your own business, better choose business. This a great opportunity that you should not miss. Good Luck!

kaisooba likes this.
  8. mc1911

mc1911

A generic business degree is not worth much. Try accounting or finance.

cjsteineker and kaisooba like this.
  9. Tinimellow

Tinimellow

It's been a while since your question and I hope you were helped here with the issue. I’d rather vote yes on business because it’s more universal. If you need assignment help or feel speechless, address your homework questions here and don't be afraid to ask anyone for advice

10. John43

John43

GD got a degree in hospitality, then a job at a hotel desk. Really, do you need a degree to take people' money and give them a receipt. Now she went to trade school and is doing something else.

11. bdcochran

bdcochran

1. you don't "have to go to college" to be enthused about what you are doing and have other people enjoy doing business with you.
    2. the important things include making an effort to keep learning your whole life and communicating effectively with other people.

I explain. I had a couple of uncles born in the old country. Didn't go past the 4th grade. They retired in the 1960s with $20 million each. If you looked in their homes, you saw many books that they had read, cover to cover. My girlfriend has a son who never went to college and who has a house for sale on the market at $3.5 million.

Salesmen make the most money, if that is what you want to do. They figure out what the customer needs and communicates what is available, with considerable enthusiasm. You need to communicate - do public speaking, do one-on-one speaking. People think that Ronald Reagan had it easy because he was an actor. Virtually no one knows that he was hired by GE to visit factory after factory addressing the workers (deplorables) about company values, company products, and working as a team. This went on for years.

You have to do a little bit every day. If you had told me 50 years ago that last fall I would be making a presentation in French on the history of Cuban music and dance in the 20th Century, I would have said you were crazy. Last week, I delivered a paper, again in French, on the history of the Jesuits in South America. I didn't start studying French until I was in my 60s!