Decent outdoor solar lighting?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PBCounty, Mar 31, 2020.

1. PBCounty

PBCounty

Anyone got a line on halfway decent outdoor garden / solar lighting? Everything I see $19.99 junk. I don't need to cast much light, I just want durable and reliable accent lighting for an outdoor seating space. What you got??

2. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

We've only had the junk. There's one working from the first set, one from the second and two from the last set. Maybe I missed a set, but I didn't buy any of them. I think they all came from Costco, Lowes and HD.

PBCounty likes this.

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

Is it possible to do a low voltage solution? I did that and they have been good. You hang a transformer on something with power then run a cable underground and vampire tap the lights to it.

4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I have a couple of the cheap spot lights from Lowe's on my boat lift. Stupid things still work great after being outdoors year round for 3 years. Not too sure how long the batteries keep the light on, but I have noticed them still being on at around 11 pm when the sun goes down at 4pm.

PBCounty likes this.
  5. glock_collector

glock_collector

I hate to mention it, crapmart has a good selection at good prices. Many of the solar I use are in their 3-4th year and still work well.

PBCounty likes this.
  6. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I'm in the junk camp as well. I bought 4 and 3 still work. Ran over the 4th.

PBCounty likes this.
  7. Adjuster

Adjuster

Usually the batteries are replaceable. Standard AA or AAA rechargeable battery.

/

8. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

9A3F3059-AEDC-44F2-848D-E060FB364B9E.jpeg View attachment 729878
    LOL, great minds think alike!

I did the same thing, took the ground spikes out of the assembly, took the rotating part apart, drove a screw through the base and into my lift piling and then put the assembly back together.

Those solar lights catch a lot of sun and I’ve seen them burning at 2 o’clock in the morning and they cast a really nice light right down the pylon which keeps people from running into the pylons for one thing and also cast a little bit of ambient light on the boat. It really was a perfect “green“ solution..

FullClip likes this.
  9. CAcop

CAcop

I have some LED string lights that are pretty good. Only had a few months though. They replaced some light that were 3 years old that died. I noticed they couldn't hold a charge for long after awhile. Plug in lights might work longer then have a timer on them.

I have noticed some light have said no to leave them out more than a few months.

PBCounty likes this.
  10. Tvov

Tvov

It seems to be all cheap junk.

I usually figure, if I'm lucky, 3 out 4 lights in a pack will still be working after the first week. Assuming they all worked out of the box. If the batteries aren't rotted, the "solar panel" doesn't work, or the LED light is damaged.

Every year or two I buy a new pack of lights.

PBCounty likes this.
  11. PBCounty

PBCounty

I'd prefer "real" lights but we're talking about a spot on the other side of a Loxahatchee yard (I know you know the area). EDIT, or maybe you don't, I thought you were a local guy with a similar avatar.