Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't buy expensive sunglasses because I hate constantly worrying about scratching or losing them. I've found $20 glasses on Amazon that are pretty good for the price if you get the grey lenses. However I'm looking to get a pair with brown/bronze or green lenses and the cheap glasses on Amazon either don't have those colors or a lot of reviews say the color coating comes off really easily.

Is there anything decent around $50? Seems like most sunglasses are either really cheap or $100+. Looking at maybe buying a pair of non-prescription sunglasses from EyeBuyDirect. Not into aviator style glasses, looking for something more sporty/modern like the Costa Saltbreak.

·
Registered
11,397 Posts
Shady Rays and Knockaround both seem to get good reviews...

·
Registered
21,510 Posts
The only mid-priced (as in $50) sunglasses I have ever seen were fashion badgers. In other words, gas station quality sunglasses with fashion labels like Calvin Klein or whatnot stuck on them.

My opinion, which I know you didn't ask for, is that sunglasses are one of those things to spend money on. Cheap sunglasses will not only make your eyes tired, but they risk doing damage to your vision.

·
Banned
1,173 Posts
Lightly used sunglasses can be had for a song on Poshmark. I just bought a pair of Ray-Bans for $45. It's like ebay for used clothes and accessories.

·
Registered
16,294 Posts
Fashion or function? My son gave me a pair of "ESS Apel Crossbow" sunglasses a few years ago, and they're the best. He was issued them when he was in Dubai w/ USAF. Yellow lenses for shooting, clear for powertool time, black for mowing the grass. But I wouldn't wear them out driving, socially at the pool or BBQ and etc. They look a little dorky robotronish.

$36 for only the dark lens, but you could add others later.
https://www.amazon.com/Ess-Safety-G...ild=1&keywords=ess+apel&qid=1589912338&sr=8-1

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
The only mid-priced (as in $50) sunglasses I have ever seen were fashion badgers. In other words, gas station quality sunglasses with fashion labels like Calvin Klein or whatnot stuck on them.

My opinion, which I know you didn't ask for, is that sunglasses are one of those things to spend money on. Cheap sunglasses will not only make your eyes tired, but they risk doing damage to your vision.
Well, they come in 2 classes...

·
JAFO
14,145 Posts
That used to be Ray-Ban until Luxottica bought them. The quality went down and the price doubled over night. :rolleyes:

Reactions: jame and sixgun2

·
INFIDEL
11,209 Posts
ive had a bunch of cheapies then splurged for some Oakley, one pair had the bronze lenses actually helped when driving in a severe downpour...I compared them to the dark grey pair and I could definitely make out the road markings better with bronze

·
aka dingle
1,338 Posts
i forgot mine on a road trip so i stopped at a truck stop and bought a pair of foster grant polarized for twenty dollars. i liked the tint better than my oakleys. the tint was not as dark and now i wear them all the time.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I used to wear Oakley and Maui Jim. I got sick of destroying them during work and started buying polarized glasses at Costco, Nike, Champion and Puma were all good glasses under $40. I recently purchased some Eddie Bauer for $25 but the fit is horrible for me. I purchase outdoor gear from this web site, they have some good sales. I usually do a search for the item to verify how good the deal is. There used to be good $50-$75 glasses like Smith at REI but they are more expensive now.

Steepandcheap.com
Address below will take you to some of the sunglasses on sale.
https://www.steepandcheap.com/Store...+TO+50]|salePriceUSsteepcheap:[50+TO+75]&nf=1

·
Registered
887 Posts
I know they aren’t in the price range you mentioned but I have a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 XL’s with the polarized Trap shooting glasses and they are the best sunglasses I’ve ever had.
I owned a lot of Oakleys but after I bought those the rest just hurt my eyes.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I wear Oakleys but tried polarized ShadyRays in Black Arctic (Blue lenses) when they had a BOGO deal. The frames are comfy and they will replace if lost or damaged for about $9 shipping. I also have the dark gray lenses in the second pair. The blue lenses are the closest match I've found to the discontinued Oakley VR25 lenses. They increase contrast and aren't as dark as the gray. I'll be picky and say that the Arctic lens tinting varies around the periphery. The gray does not. A lens popped out and I was surprised at how thin they were compared to the Oakleys. I surmise that the level of physical eye protection is far inferior, if that is a concern.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts