Glock Talk banner

DECAPPING PISTOL BRASS

2554 Views 41 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  picker
Before you clean, yes or no truthfully I can see it [the tumbler] doing a better job and Im thinking about getting me an Xtra 650 toolhead And a universal decapping die all other stations empty.
Fill the case feeder and pull handle ?
Best/joe
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
For pistol ammo? Not a chance. I'd spend the money on components and the time on something useful. Same for bulk AR ammo.

For precision rifle, sure, but I wouldn't buy a new toolhead to do it. I'd do it in small quantities.

· Registered
8,238 Posts
Not me. Unless wet cleaning, the primer pockets really don't get cleaned anyway. Typically they clog up full of media. There has never been an issue caused by de-capping in station 1 then immediately priming in station 2.

Reactions: MinervaDoe

· Registered
8,238 Posts
Well, you'd have clean primer pockets if adding the extra work. But I doubt if your gun or the target paper would notice any difference for the extra trouble.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
If you are going to wet tumble, definitely decap before tumbling. More certainty your cases will be completely dry when loaded. Frankly, I think wet cleaning is more work than it is worth.

· Registered
40,421 Posts
If you are going to wet tumble, definitely decap before tumbling. More certainty your cases will be completely dry when loaded. Frankly, I think wet cleaning is more work than it is worth.
Agree 100%. Decapping prior to dry tumbling just means media in the flash hole. If you don't decap for wet cleaning, the pockets may not dry properly. The extra step of decapping just not worth the effort IMO.

· Registered
36 Posts
I reload rifle and I decap and wet clean. I just love the bright shiny brass. I guess it all comes down to what your time is worth. When my 550 gets here I have 1500 rds of .40 to load. They have all been decapped and ss cleaned but thats my method on a single stage press. That's why I bought a 550 also to speed things up. Go ahead and try it you may enjoy pulling that handle like a slot machine but after pulling that handle 1500 times you may agree with the other posters.

· Registered
2,418 Posts
I don't decap for wet cleaning but I do have enough cleaned brass that it can sit long enough to completely dry before loading.

· Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder if you put them in the oven on 350 for a while. Would that not dry primers out?
You knock the primers out anyway when you think the cases are dry enough for reloading.
So I agree with the Majority, more time less gain just another step that don't really bring much benefit to the average reloader.
Best/joe

· Jacks #1 Fan
6,148 Posts
You knock the primers out anyway when you think the cases are dry enough for reloading.
So I agree with the Majority, more time less gain just another step that don't really bring much benefit to the average reloader.
Best/joe
I agree... 2-3 times a week I wet tumble 9mm with the primers in 700-800 at at time rinse and leave on the deck on top of a towel in the sun. Fortunately our summer came early in WA this year and the weather has been great. I've cleaned most of a 5 gallon bucket of 9mm brass casually in the manner above in just 3 weeks.

· Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree... 2-3 times a week I wet tumble 9mm with the primers in 700-800 at at time rinse and leave on the deck on top of a towel in the sun. Fortunately our summer came early in WA this year and the weather has been great. I've cleaned most of a 5 gallon bucket of 9mm brass casually in the manner above in just 3 weeks.
Yeah, that's the way to do it (stock pile) and use a wet tumbler to clean a bunch at a time, I got one of the FA wet tumblers and it holds a bunch.
Best/joe

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Before you clean, yes or no truthfully I can see it [the tumbler] doing a better job and Im thinking about getting me an Xtra 650 toolhead And a universal decapping die all other stations empty.
Fill the case feeder and pull handle ?
Best/joe
Right at the outset of the response let me say that I don't know very many people who go through this much effort to clean brass as I do. So, take that into consideration. This is all part of my brass cleaning/inspection process, so that when I am finished - ALL of my brass - is as clean and thoroughly inspected as brand new casings. But I agree this is more work than most are willing to do, but problems with brass is almost non-existent with me.

I purchased a separate LEE de-capping/re-sizing die and run my empty cases through to knock out the spent primers.

Than a quick 3 min soak in this - http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Cas...asey+Brass+Cartridge+Case+Cleaner+Concentrate
Just follow the directions.

Then I toss them into my Lyman 1200 pro tumbler w/corn media for 3 hrs or so.

After God know how many thousands of casings later I can say that I don't run into that many that have corn media stuck in the primer pockets. True... I do have some, but truthfully not that many.

I also am retired so time is something I have plenty of - another thing to keep in mind. Because of the results I get, I would not change this process even if I had less time.

Just my 2 cents

· Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right at the outset of the response let me say that I don't know very many people who go through this much effort to clean brass as I do. So, take that into consideration. This is all part of my brass cleaning/inspection process, so that when I am finished - ALL of my brass - is as clean and thoroughly inspected as brand new casings. But I agree this is more work than most are willing to do, but problems with brass is almost non-existent with me.

I purchased a separate LEE de-capping/re-sizing die and run my empty cases through to knock out the spent primers.

Than a quick 3 min soak in this - http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Cas...asey+Brass+Cartridge+Case+Cleaner+Concentrate
Just follow the directions.

Then I toss them into my Lyman 1200 pro tumbler w/corn media for 3 hrs or so.

After God know how many thousands of casings later I can say that I don't run into that many that have corn media stuck in the primer pockets. True... I do have some, but truthfully not that many.

I also am retired so time is something I have plenty of - another thing to keep in mind. Because of the results I get, I would not change this process even if I had less time.

Just my 2 cents
Well I reckon your 2 cents is as good as mine[smile]
Best/joe

· Registered
40,421 Posts
If you must decap, buy a univ decapper, don't use your sizing die to decap dirty brass.

· Registered
1,980 Posts
I use a Lee universal decapper die, sonic cleaner, then into my $5 Ronco dehydrator to dry. If I think they need to be shined up a trip through the tumbler with walnut media and a dash of polishing compound. Reloading is a "me time " hobby so I enjoy the process and feel the time I spend doing it is cheap therapy. YMMV

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.