Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I deprime and wet tumble all my brass without exception. While I don't mind reloading in single stage, actually enjoy it at times, I'd much rather keep the dirty brass and decapping process out of my reloading room and automate this somehow with a small machine sitting in the garage.

On my search for automated decapping machines I found this small company in Italy that builds exactly what I have in mind. I just contacted them for a quote but I think I already have a rough idea. About $1000 for the machine including 4 decapping dies and a Dillon case feeder.

Depending on the communication with them I'll either buy one, or build my own.

If I had access to a full machine shop, I'd be building one right now.

Have you guys thought about a decapping machine? Any ideas or suggestions? Anybody interested in this offer from Italy and down for a discounted group buy?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM4YrBUdjV0

Here decapping rifle brass:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zi1dU6YcfM

http://www.gbo-reload.com/styled-10/page2/styled-9/index.asp

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I am with you on separating the decap, ideally to a place that can be sealed off and treated like an EPA Superfund site.

Looking at those machine, I can't shake the feeling that it might be done with a little simpler approach (aka more cheaply :)), but perhaps just as reliably. Also, it looks like caliber changes might be a little more analog than a simple drop in adjustment, not sure about that though. I do think a Dillon case feeder is a good front end, very reliable.

For a little bit less automation, I did see a guy who rigged up an automated case unload feature for a Lee turret. It still required manually setting the case and pulling the handle, but spend OP's maybe by as much as 50% by eliminating the need to reach down and remove the processed case before setting the next.

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got a reply:

Hi xxxxxx.

The decaping machine costs is € 675,00 plus delivery whose costs is € 165,00.

The machine I can produce now is able to decap:
- 9x19
- 9x21
- .38 s.a.
- 10 mm

About .308 and more I'm working on some changes, but I'm not jet ready to produce such new model.

Time to delivery: 10/15 of February.

Let me know what you think about.

Ciao
Mauro

That is exactly $1,010 delivered.

Without a machine shop this will take many rides to a local shop for different parts and extensive testing. By the time I have a working machine I will have spent a lot more, not even counting my own time.

If one would develop a shell holder system much like the Forster press, the machine could decap basically any caliber in any order since all cases would be centered automatically.

Maybe this new machine from Italy is based on this function. I asked, waiting for reply.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i deprime, walnut, corn cob, then prime by hand before moving through my LCP. you'll laugh, but to deprime i use a 12 point ⅜" socket and a punch so i don't dirty the press. i'm thinking about getting just a deprimer/resizing die and another lee turret to do this with the press, but it works well enough the way i'm doing it now.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
JMorris probably has one already built. I seem to recall he had a powered Lee single stage press doing boolit sizing. The press was upside down to collect the sized boolits.

Might be able to make this idea work with a cheap Lee Pro 100. It has a case feeder, it's self indexing, and all you really care about is decapping. Put a motor with a crank below it to run the handle, and you might have something for less than $300. Or move up to a Load Master (might find those cheap also). I think the LM does a better job of spent primer handling.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
i deprime, walnut, corn cob, then prime by hand before moving through my LCP. you'll laugh, but to deprime i use a 12 point ⅜" socket and a punch so i don't dirty the press. i'm thinking about getting just a deprimer/resizing die and another lee turret to do this with the press, but it works well enough the way i'm doing it now.
Not funny at all. I have a cheap Lee C press that's dedicated for depriming. It's a cheap azz press with lots of play and loose tolerances; but it does deprime. I don't care how dirty it gets.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/807734/lee-breech-lock-reloader-single-stage-press

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Just buy pre-processed brass, or dump the wet tumbling and go back to dry tumbling. I run walnut loaded with mineral oil then corn loaded NuFinish car polish. No case lube needed. Do you think you are breathing in too much lead from the primer residue? You get lead from breathing in gun exhaust, not from the residual primer (which is only 20% to start with). Have your blood lead level tested so you know where you are at.

Been running cases like this for over 4 decades. Tumblers with open tops because the media contains all the dust.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I won't need lube, it's only decapping. I assume they use a spring buffered decapping die to prevent issues with Berdan primed cases. In by case that not an issue, I only reload my own cases.
I just can't shake the feeling this might be an overly complex solution.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I may have misread the sequence, but if you de-prime then dry tumble, it probably is best to run another decap pin through the flash hole to assure they are clear. Primers are remarkably powerful for such little gadgets and likely would blow clear any debris, but if 100% reliability is your goal, I think clearing the flash holes is a good idea. If you are hand priming, maybe just glancing in the flash hole from the case mouth side would do it.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Not funny at all. I have a cheap Lee C press that's dedicated for depriming. It's a cheap azz press with lots of play and loose tolerances; but it does deprime. I don't care how dirty it gets.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/807734/lee-breech-lock-reloader-single-stage-press
I had an old Lee Challenger Breech Lock I used for years for low stress ops like de-priming, bullet pulling, etc. I replaced the toggles a couple of times on that shabby old relic until one day I said "enough!". What a piece of crap that thing was, I replaced it with a Lee Classic Cast, night and day.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
Like I said before Dillon 650 instead of the 550.

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here the next reply from this guy in Italy. Those changeovers seem to be pretty easy and quick..

When you change caliber .. all 9 mm gets the same slide size, so you must only centering the pin... maximum 3 minuts.
When you change from 9 mm to .40 or .45 you must set the rail and this oparation takes 2/3 minuts.. plus the centering of the pin, total 5/7 minuts.
Setting the machine in .223, will take about 10 minuts becouse is necessary to change the pin and relative tool... in this case I use pin tool by RCBS, so for you is very easy to find spare parts... and abouto pistols decaping tool I use pins by Dillon.
I hope you can understand what I mean... my English is not so good..!!
Ciao
Mauro

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I want this outside my house, in my garage. A 650 would need a case feeder and a drive. That will cost me more than $1,000.
Funny, I want to move mine outside my garage. :)

I freaking hate spent primers. The crap inside them is really toxic stuff. If I can get them out of the case without letting them be in and around where I work, and the case into a wet tumbler, my reloading process gets much more sanitary.

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Funny, I want to move mine outside my garage. :)

I freaking hate spent primers. The crap inside them is really toxic stuff. If I can get them out of the case without letting them be in and around where I work, and the case into a wet tumbler, my reloading process gets much more sanitary.

A nice little hangover next to a shop would work great, but that won't be possible in my current location. Getting this crap out of my house would be a nice improvement. And there is no way in hell that I will manually decap in my garage. Floridas summer is 9 months long. Heatstroke is all I can think of.

I'd also hate seeing a Dillon setup in the garage only for decapping. Doesn't feel right to me. :)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts