close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Debunking the paleo diet: Christina Warinner at TEDxOU

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Restless28

Restless28

Interesting video. It is one of the reasons that I'm going back to a plant based diet to lower my cholesterol and improve my digestion.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8"]Debunking the paleo diet: Christina Warinner at TEDxOU - YouTube[/ame]

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

So, enjoy your new diet. Perhaps it'll do better for you.

If it doesn't work for you, so be it. Move on.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I'm a minute or two in. I don't buy the Paleo REASONING behind the Paleo thing, but she's pushing that hard. Anthropology don't do nothing for me.

What you want: Facts based on studies. Gary Taubes is your man for this. And what he's found is that grains are killers. Make you fat and cause the medical problems we experience today.

(I don't know if I buy the autoimmune and magic effects. But heart and weight - Paleo is clearly proven time and time again - usually using the "experts" studies against them. See: Salt and HBP.)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  4. Dennis in MA

All that said - diet or not, I love me a good old Coffee Roll. Hot from the shop. That isn't on ANYONE'S healthy-list

5. Restless28

Restless28

At least you watched it before commenting.

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

If that was towards me, I watched it. Wow. Yipee.

Enjoy your new diet.

7. Restless28

Restless28

You watched it prior to the thread, or did you watch a 22 minute video in 8 minutes?:tongueout:

8. Dennis in MA

I got to about 5 min in. She's not a speaker. She MAY know her stuff, but she doesn't convey that. An anthropologist can't tell me how grains vs. sugar vs. meat vs. fat affects coronary heart disease or Type II Diabetes.

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

On a couple of the tri boards I frequent the paleo for athletes comes up regularly. This video has been around for at least 6 months.

Whatever. Enjoy your new diet.

10. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper

11. Adjuster

Adjuster

I just had 3 soft taco supremes and 1 meximelt. Washed it all down with a diet pepsi. Lets hear some smarty pants scientist debunk that! :tongueout:

/

12. BradD

BradD

I made it about five minutes also.

I don't know if what she's saying about archaeology is correct or not, but let me ask you: If at typical person eats as recommended at the following site (which is based on TPD), do you think he or she will be leaner and healthier than with any other way of eating today? I think the answer is probably yes. I don't care about the underlying theories.

http://www.simplefit.org/nutrition.html

One comment about the video: I doubt most PD fans would classify TPD as being mostly about meat. It's mostly about vegetables and fruit. (A lot of meat is included in many diets, including the SAD.) The main difference between TPD and other plans is the amount of fat that's eaten. With TPD, one ends up eating a high percentage of calories from nuts and oils. Veggies, fruit, and lean meat have few calories.

Is TPD the only good way to eat? Absolutely not, but I think most people would stay leaner and healthier with that plan than with just about anything else. Athletes, and people with some specialized health problems excepted, of course.

13. Liquid Sword

Liquid Sword

I tried to go paleo at the suggestion of some friends, and have not been successful as of yet. It is difficult to omit grain from the American diet. Having done some research on this (especially the subreddit on the topic), I believe there's something to it. I don't think I could omit dairy completely, but the grains may be doable.

Are/have any of you been on this diet? Real results? Many swear by it. (Can't watch vids here, so I didn't see it.)

14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Yeah. It works for a whole bunch of people. It doesn't work for quite a few people as well.

Just like everything else, if it interests you, give it a shot and see. Also like pretty much everything else, avoid the extremists on both sides, those who say it cannot work and those who limit themselves to one or two types of food, and you'll be fine.

15. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I'll eat how I please, thanks.

16. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

She debunked nothing. She brought no new information to the debate. Really she made a pretty good case for the "paleo" diet.

To change your diet to a plant based diet to lower cholesterol based on the video is silly.

To me, "paleo" is more about eating as much fresh food as possible and eliminating-or severely reducing-the intake of certain things.

The whole video my thoughts were, "duh", "tell me something I don't already know" etc.

17. Taipei Personality

Taipei Personality

I don't know if this is PD or not, I just started eating what made sense to me, but I concentrate on fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meat, nuts, no grain, a small amount of cheese, lots of yoghurt, no sugar, no rice, and no potatoes.

That, coupled with portion control and exercise, allowed me to lose 83 pounds, get off of CPAP, two hypertension meds and one high cholesterol med.

18. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

"experts" make me chuckle... People are different from one to another, what works in my diet may not work at all in yours. Spouting some one size fits all theory on what we should all eat and not eat is an exercise in futility at best.

I feel great and my bloodwork is spot on when I keep carb intake below 50g daily. I cannot eat chicken, turkey, duck...whatever bird you mention, I have a strange food allergy to all of them. I supplement with 70/100g of protein daily and don't drink milk or have much dairy in my diet at all.

For many, that would be a dietary disaster...for me it works great. I've never felt better. I tried vegetarian and just didn't ever feel "good"...I tried a raw diet for about 4 days and quickly figured that wasn't for me... I tried taco bell, diet coke, and chipotle and barely survived. But I know many people who eat a similar diet to one of those and it works for them.

Just eat what makes and keeps you healthy.

19. nursetim

nursetim

Point, allow me to respond in kind.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OKp5SzMe-nI[/ame]

Dan_ntx, what kind of protein supplement do you use?

I think the main takeaway from paleo is no grains, refined or whole, no sweets except honey and maybe stevia, no dairy.

Another interesting film, the short version.
    [ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tdMjKEncojQ"]Sugar: The Bitter Truth (The SHORT Version) - YouTube[/ame]

She showed a bias early on by pointing out that paleo is aimed mostly at men. Maybe it is, but pointing it out does not help her cause. I may be mesogonistic, but she is androgonistic.

20. Zer0

Zer0

Videos like this and forks over knives remind me of the way anti gunners spew hate for something while taking the rational debate out of it all and not acknowledging the pros and cons of either side. I can't put stock in anything like that.

That said, ive gone on a gluten free, high meat and vegetable diet while still getting a good amount of grains from brown rice and quinoa, and felt better than i ever have and lost weight. I second what boot stomper said up there, no more bloating or gas or abdominal pain. Wheat's the health killer.

I think the take away from any diet should be more natural, fresh foods and less processed, packaged foods. Any diet, to me, that fundamentally allows french fries or fried okra as a vegetable but disallows baked salmon or cuts out entire food groups is wholly unbalanced. 3 of the unhealthiest people i know are strict vegan.

But everyone has to try different things to find out what legititmately works for them, whether that be vegetarian or carnivorous. There's too much bias in what should be scientific fact based articles and studies