close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Debit Card Number Compromised

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Fox184, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Fox184

Fox184

My Debit Card Number was stolen and a $.10 charge was placed at a food bank in Ohio. According to the food bank they had over a thousand $.10 donations to their website over the weekend, different CC numbers, but same fake email address.

Has anyone heard of this and what business was hacked to cause so many CC numbers to be a risk?

This is not related to the New York parking garage hacking reported last week.

2. Resqu2

Resqu2

3. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

4. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

In the last 12 months I've had my Visa hacked twice, my AMEX hacked once, and my debit card hacked twice.

5. Fox184

Fox184

That is correct, the lowlifes make small charges to verify if the car number will work. If it does they then take more money out of your account.

I am just curious to know if anyone has heard of a business that was hacked for all of these credit card numbers to be released. I don't think it is related to the big 1.3 million Global Companies release last week, but it could be.

6. voyager4520

voyager4520

You've closed the card and gotten a different account right? Debit cards don't offer the same kind of theft protection that credit cards do.

7. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Does your bank know or have an idea of where your card could have been compromised

:50cal:

8. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Uh, yes, they do. If it says Visa or MasterCard on it, you are afforded the same protection as a regular CC. At least all mine doo. YMMV.

Greg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  9. smokin762

smokin762

My debit or Check/Cash card number was stolen last year. Luckily it has the M/C logo on it and I was protected. Even though I got all my money back I still had to close the account and open a new one. It was kind of a pain.

Since this happen to me, my bank keeps a close eye on my account in case it was to happen again.

Last weekend, I spent almost $500.00 at a Sporting Goods store buying some ammunition for my Evil Black Rifles, a Hornady Case Prep Center and other reloading equipment. By the time I got home 20 minutes later,my bank already called and left a message for me to call them to verify it was me that used the card. I thanked them for checking and told them, I am now off to go buy front tires and a front end alignment for the car. They said thank you for the heads up.

10. fgutie35

fgutie35

I continuously monitor my bank accounts for discrepancies. I have had two incidents where a restaurant ran a bill twice in different days for a dinner we had there. They voided the charge right after, but I still reported to my bank to be on the safe side. Im pretty sure it was human error, but the way they did it looked fishy. Another one was with a written check that had an old sequence. Luckily, I keep all of my check copies, so I was able to retrieve the check in question which did not concided with the charge. After some investigation by my bank, it turned out that a medical bill payment had been submitted over the phone by my spouse, and the collection company crated a "generic" check matching the old check number to process the charge.

11. smokin762

smokin762

When my card numbers were stolen, the bank asked me to file a police report. The officer told me, that the numbers were most likely stolen at a local Gas Station or at a Restaurant.

He also told me that the numbers could have been stolen months ago and had been sold to somebody else and they just got around to using those set of numbers. :dunno:

12. Keyhole

Keyhole

+1. Most debit cards are safe.

13. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Except your own money is at stake, as opposed to your credit card company's money.

With a credit card, a fraudulent charge is just a number in your monthly statement. With a debit card, a chunk of your own money is missing until the bank investigates the situation and (hopefluly) issues a refund. If you don't have a lot of money in your account - and many debit card users don't - it can trigger a nasty chain of bounced checks and/or overdraft fees.

14. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

Had a debit and a credit card hacked in the same week. Debit card (USAA) instantly credited my account as soon as I called. Told me I would have a new card in a week. Credit card (Chase) closed the acount and gave me a new one. No issues with either. Credit card also overnighted by new card for free...I am sure so that I could get out spending again.

15. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Mine was taken long time back. I felt like a criminal having to sign affidavits that I did not actually make the charges. Got ALL my money back, but it took a while.

16. muscogee

muscogee

This is why I will not have a debit card. No one takes money out of my account without my approval.

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Can't hack it if you never use it. I'm a Dave Ramsey fan, but I only use a cc for purchases so no one has access to my bank acct.

18. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

This has never made sense to me. Why make some small purchases first to see if the card works, and if it does make big purchase? Why not just start with big purchases?

I mean, if I'm a thief testing a card, why not test it by trying to buy expensive stuff for myself? If it fails, I'm no worse off, but if it works at least I've got some sweet loot before the card owner notices and cancels the card.

19. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Dave Ramsey is fingernails on a chalkboard to me. And his show is annoying—"Yee-Haw! We're Debt-Free!" Or even better, "Gee, Dave. We make $62,000.00 a year, and spend $84,000.00 a year, and we're in trouble, buddy!" Or my favorite, “I work at an oil change place and my wife waits tables, and we’ve got three kids and lease a car...” :rollingeyes:

Okay, I am debt-free... And own all my stuff... And also virtually never use a debit card on-line or at a POP... :whistling:

I don't even have cable TV, but I do own extensive video and am a member of NETFLIX. :dunno:

As I recall, in an effort to be ever so helpful, the IRS suggests that you write your Social Security Number on your check, when taxes are owed... :thumbsup:

I would also never consider filing my taxes on line... :shakehead:

--Ray

20. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Yup. I almost always use credit and pay it off come payday. Not only do I get security and extended warranties, I also get between 1-3% cash back.