Debate at GMA7: Total Gun Ban: To be or not to be

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by 9MX, May 19, 2005.

1. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Shucks! I wish PPSA launched a text brigade to inform us of this episode (ongoing right now). We could have rallied together to support the gunowner's cause. I just voted on the web, and sad to say, we are losing on votes.

To those who wish to support our cause, please register and vote. Here is the link: :)

Vote Against Gun Ban!

2. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

3. Amateurknight

Amateurknight

Also done. still behind in votes. wish i could vote twice.;a

4. brawnless

brawnless Junior Member

Gun owners (legal and illegal combined) are the minority in this country. One would expect the majority to vote for a total gun ban. Also, the voting mechanism must be able to take into account, with accuracy, the voter's age, location, nationality, gender, and gun ownership info at the very least.

It would be more viable to tackle the debate point by point. Address each gun-ban arguement with a more valid and strong cause.

5. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

O, I just made the numbers equal. What are you guys waiting for?

6. jasonub

jasonub

7. bulm540

bulm540

8. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

9. kerwin

kerwin

10. homer_m

homer_m

11. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

I just finished registering and voting. The "No" votes (our side) are leading by a slim margin.

Quick question: What day and time does Debate air on GMA-7? I may just tape the episode if I'm still awake at that time. Any idea on who the panelists are for our side?

12. jasonub

jasonub

I opened up another yahoo to vote. lamang na tayo ng 10! gaya na!!!

13. one_eye_kirat

one_eye_kirat

14. GMV

GMV

15. homer_m

homer_m

it was aired already, midnight last night. m. tulfo and parsons vs. pacheco and a congressman (didn't got his name)

16. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

I voted last night via debatext. I voted again today on the website.

17. nyordak17

nyordak17 my dream gun!

same here!:)

18. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Missed it. Voted soon after I saw 9MX's post around 2 am. Did Tulfo and Parsons give a good account of themselves? who had the upper hand in the "debate"? Thanks :)

19. homer_m

homer_m

those two were better than nothing... they talk more about the proposal of deputizing ppsa/gunclub members as civilian police. final poll was 60/40 in favor of pacheco.;z

20. JuDGe

JuDGe

BIG DEAL
    By DAN MARIANO

Every time the government bans firearms, it is the law-abiding, taxpaying licensed firearms owners who are affected—and left vulnerable.

I am a gun owner. I have a permit to carry my firearm outside my residence (PTCFOR) for my .45-caliber Hoeckler & Koch USP, which is properly licensed with the Firearms and Explosives Division (FED) of the Philippine National Police. In order to maintain this privilege, I have to renew my gun license and the PTCFOR regularly at great expense—and a lot of bother—to me.

The process requires that I take time out from my work for at least a couple of days. Every time I do so, I have to fill out several forms, prepare supporting documents, go through psychiatric and drug testing, report to the Camp Crame firing range to demonstrate that I know how to handle my weapon, submit several slugs for ballistic recording, jostle with the crowd that seems to be a permanent fixture at the FED headquarters, which is in a corner of the camp that has no provision for visitor parking, which means I have to leave my car some distance away and huff it, as I go through the numerous bureaucratic steps of filing my license renewal papers.

Securing a gun license is no joke. Getting a PTCFOR is even more complicated—and expensive. While I have heard that some people resort to shortcuts that allow them to get licenses and PTCFORs through the so-called nonappearance route (wink, wink), none of the gun owners I know has ever done so.

This is precisely why all of them to a man—and woman—oppose a proposal to impose a gun ban once more. They know how difficult it is to secure gun licenses and permits, and would feel cheated when the documents they worked so hard to get suddenly become worthless.

These licensed firearms holders—whom the antigun lobby is wont to depict as antisocial, homicidal psychopaths—are doctors, lawyers, businessmen, civil servants, office workers, retired military and police officers, journalists, et cetera. Go to an FED-accredited firing range on any weekend, such as the Armscor range in Parang, Marikina, and you’re bound to see people from all walks of life trying to improve their marksmanship or just letting off some steam—safely.

Most, if not all of them, are decent, regular, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens who go through the trouble of securing licenses and permits for their firearms. For reasons of their own, they have decided to arm themselves to the extent that the country’s statutes allow. If a gun ban were imposed once more as in the time when Panfilo Lacson was the PNP chief, these same law-abiding, taxpaying licensed firearms holders would feel most cheated—and more.

A good number of them have come under criminal attack or are closely related to someone who has. It is this natural impulse to never again become helpless victims that drives people to arm themselves. With the news media detailing every day what looks like a crime wave, more and more law-abiding, taxpaying Filipinos feel the need to acquire the means for self-defense.

The Philippine National Police reported the other day that "index" crime rose by 10.5 percent to 15,221 cases from January to April this year compared to the same period in 2004 with 13,774 incidents. Index, or heinous crime, includes murder, physical injuries, theft, rape and homicide.

By definition, criminals have nothing but contempt for the authorities. Do the gun ban proponents really think that these criminals will suddenly stop using firearms if President Arroyo is somehow persuaded to order a gun ban?

Every time the government bans firearms, it is the law-abiding, taxpaying licensed firearms owners who are affected—and left vulnerable.

In opposing the gun ban proposal, the Association of Firearms and Ammunitions Dealers of the Philippines Inc. has pointed out that only 12 licensed firearms—as against 1,719 unlicensed guns in the records of the FED—have been involved in criminal cases recorded so far this year. Moreover, the 12 reported cases involved minor infractions of gun laws and were not related to the recent killing of journalists, government officials and others.

There is the added danger that the licensed firearms, which a gun ban will criminalize, would only aggravate our national security problems. Old-timers from the now defunct Philippine Constabulary recall that when President Marcos banned all guns during his martial law regime, many previously licensed firearms found their way to the rebel underground.

While no statistics are available to validate the PC veterans’ claim, a gun ban imposed by an increasingly unpopular government could generate sympathy—and logistical support—for forces that are fighting it.

If the authorities are serious about fighting crime, then it is the criminals that they must disarm—not licensed firearms owners who follow the law.