Death of the Classifieds...

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Stealther, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Stealther

Stealther

I'm sorry to see the closing of the classified sections. While the new system is probably more efficient than the message board system, it is sterile. I won't be browsing the auction site while having my morning coffee, its just not the same... Fast and Public follow-up questions/answers and helpful answers/observations from fellow members will be missed.

I'm sure everyone realizes the classified section was a huge draw for Glocktalk, and my personal opinion is that closing the classified section is a bad idea. It just takes too long for low-volume buyers/sellers like me to build up a feedback score to start over again on a new system.

That said, I wish you luck Eric and thanks for the service you do provide the shooting enthusiast community.

2. mad_dog30

mad_dog30 "Invictus"

I agree. I will be deleting Glock Talk from my favorite's list now. That was the only reason that I came to this Board in the first place. To those I've done business with in the past, thank you for the deals.

3. Stealther

Stealther

I'd like to make it clear, while I am disapointed with the closure of the classified sections, I will continue to frequent Glocktalk as it is still *the* place for Glock'rs. My wife will appreciate the fact that I'll be on Glocktalk less now that it doesn't have a classified section :)

4. Aleko

Aleko

What a bummer! That other site may be better suited to sell, but I don't think many people will be visiting it daily (or multiple times a day) just to scan a classified section. I know I won’t. I'm sorry to say, but I won't be visiting GlockTalk nearly as often as I used to either. ;1

5. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

The Smart Shopper and Wanted-To-Buy forums will stay up and can still be used as they always were. I know that there will be those that don't like the idea of this change and that is unfortunate, but I think the change is in the best interest of the site and will be a genuine enhancement for everyone concerned. Once you see the traffic the new system generates, perhaps you will give it a try. Eric

6. riddler

riddler

While I really like the Classifieds, I could understand why Eric need to implement an income generating auction site. Change is something that is usually not received well by people but in this case, time will tell.

I do however have a VERY BIG problem with the registration process since it won't take my hotmail account that I have been using here in Glocktalk since the very first time I posted.

I hope that Eric can addressed this issue because I don't have a non-internet based email account.

7. Eric

Hello. Your hotmail account should work. Hotmail addresses were blocked by default, in the software I am using, but I turned that option off last night. Please try again and see if it works for you. Thanks. Eric

8. kidbuck

kidbuck Flashaholic

I myself would like to see the Classifieds brought back.
    It was fun buying and swapping with the guys, with the FAMILY.
    If I wanted to do thigs auction style, I would be using my EBAY
    account. GlockTalk classifieds was just so simple and straight forward.
    I will miss it and I will NOT be registering at Outdoor.:(

No offense to the admin, I LOVE THIS SITE. But sometimes change
    can be for the worse.

9. Eric

Kidbuck, I would like to make a couple of points. One, the http://outdoorbidur.com/ site is an auction AND classified ads site. Two, change comes whether we want it to or not. The site is growing every day and with that grown comes added work and expense for me. I need the auction site to generate income to help pay for this site and I need the classified ads traffic there to help the auction become viable. I have been hosting the classified ads forums free-of-charge and with no strings attached, for several years. Well, now I need <b>your</b> help. I need the classified ads traffic there. I need for everyone to not rush to judge the new system without giving it a chance. I need everyone's help to hunt down any bugs that may be lurking about. I need everyone's contructive input and ideas on how to make this new system more user-friendly and helpful to everyone. I have been there for you guys for years and now I need you to be there for me. Give this system a chance. I firmly believe that once this new system takes off, it will be ten times the resource the old classified ad forums were and it will help secure GT's future.

There is no cost for using this new system, now or for the foreseeable future. What is it going to cost you to give it a try? Eric

10. Glocker74

Glocker74

Yeah, time will tell. Right now, it's a done deal.:cool: I won't forget where I can go to have ANY Glock question answered...usually in multiple, contradictory, flaming ways :cool: Just the search function ALONE on GT will keep it on my favorites list. And the new crummy site has a classifieds section, too.

Can someone please post a comprehensive list of internet firearms classifed sites? I know about Highroad.org and the Sig forum, and thanks to Quack AR-15.com...Are there any others worth the time to visit?

11. Lummox

Lummox Big Member

I just sent my donation and then the day after i saw that the Classifieds were Closed! I am not real happy about the decision. I tried using the Auction site and it isnt that great.

I would rather use another auction site where there is better traffic like gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com

sorry to see them close.

12. Eric

Look, the traffic <b>WILL BE</b> better, if you guys will just give this new system a chance. I have invested a hell of a lot of time and money into hosting the classified ads forums. I think this change is needed and I need your help to make this new system work. Will you please not rush to judgement on the new system and give me a hand to make it work? Eric

13. Lummox

Lummox Big Member

I am going to give it a chance. I hear your pain and I do understand.

I will give it a try and won't complain! it is too easy to gripe about things rather than try it...

I like what you have going here and am far from unhappy with GT!

14. Glocker74

Glocker74

I don't care for the auction sites because they appear to be mostly dealer offerings. The best deals I have seen were in GT classifieds.
    I think every GT'er ought to register at OutdoorBidet under the same handle they use at GT. That way we will know who we are dealing with; we can go back to GT and check their posts, etc.
    And BTW- just because I registered at GT in the past few months doesn't mean I am a thief, thank you very much! And thanks to Jerry Kirkpatric for taking my personal check. That meant a lot.
    Face it- its a done deal. Can you imagine how much time it must take to administer GT? I don't blame anyone for trying to make a living off of what must be a full time job.
    I think we should give OB a chance..frequent it, patronize it, post on it. If it sxxxs, we will know it in a couple of months, and we can take evasive action...:cool:

15. Eric

If it sucks, you can give me feedback and I will find a way to un-suck it. ;f I really am very good at this stuff. If people will help me guide its path, this new system can grow into just the kind of site everyone wants to use. All I ask for is the chance to make it work. I appreciate the vote of support. I will be on the road for the next couple of days, but I will check in here as soon as I can. Thanks. Eric

16. Glocker74

Glocker74

OK- glad to know I won't be moderated out of existence if I use the word sxxxs! Oops...habit.
    It would be nice if there were a big REGISTER portal on the home page at OB. I had to work my way to the FAQ page to register.:cool:

17. kidbuck

kidbuck Flashaholic

Eric,

I clicked on every item in the classifieds and all items are being AUCTIONED. It's not just for sale, YOU HAVE TO BID. We never had to bid or wait 7 days for auction to end on our old classifieds.
    A price was set...you brought it...done deal, everyone was happy.

Again, if I have to be bothered with bidding, I'll stick to EBAY.
    I RESPECT everything that your trying to do, but it's just not for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

It was nice while it lasted

18. Eric

Kidbuck, that IS NOT the case. I personally have two items up as classified ads. Classified ads have a little blue 'C' graphic beside them, in their listings. Also, you can click on the 'Classified Ads' link, on the left, if you want to view only classified ads. There are currently 14 of them running.

This change is less than 12 hours old. In a few days, there will be plenty of classified ads posted. Those classified ads work just like they did here, plus you get the option of closing your ad early, if the item sells. You can bail if you want to, but I hope you will at give the new system a chance. I have invested a lot if time and effort into it. Eric

19. kidbuck

kidbuck Flashaholic

OK, I've made 2 attempts to register with outdoorbidur. Both times I was told that my password would be emailed to me. STILL WAITING hours later.

I tried under the names KIDBUCK and GTkidbuck, I even used 2 different email addresses(HOTMAIL) incase that was the problem. No luck!
    I even clicked on 'lost password'...again it said it would be mailed to me. No luck !

What kind of testing did you guys do with outdoorbidur before you put it online?? Or are we doing that testing;d ;d ;d

20. Brian0128

Brian0128

I tried to register under Brian0128 about 6 hours ago and I still haven't received my email yet.