Death from above

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mass10mm, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Mass10mm

Mass10mm Armed Yankee

Yesterday my wife and I were enjoying a stroll down a country road in the Berkshires (Western Mass), and I came across this vision of doom perched on a tree just ahead. The bird, a red-tailed hawk, was almost 2 feet from head to foot, just sitting there like he owned the world. A murder of crows was making a terrible racket, but this guy ignored us all. Death from above!

[​IMG]

2. bluenoise

bluenoise

Beautiful bird. We have a lot of hawks in our parts, too.

3. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

They are incredible birds. I saw one yesterday as well, outside a Toys R Us in Milford, CT. He was on top of a telephone pole, and we walked over to get a better look. He flew down and pounced on something, then flew off without getting it. He flew within 1 foot of the windshield of a car, and I bet scared the crap out of the people in it. They have about a 4 foot wingspan. Most impressive bird around here(besides for the occasional bald eagle) is a turkey vulture. If you ever see one up close, you realize how large they are. One was eating something in the road and flew up as I drove by, it's wingspan was almost as wide as the lane I was driving in.

4. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Nice pic Mass10mm.

5. chris in va

chris in va

Couple weeks ago I was at a customer's house and a shadow passed over me. A few turkey vultures were circling, and out of nowhere this hawk goes into a power dive with wings folded and nails one of the birds. It was quite the drama.

6. crazyasian1

crazyasian1

Mors ab alto! 7th bomb wing, Abilene TX. God I hated that place....

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  7. Homechicken

Homechicken

Beautiful bird. We've got a couple of different kinds of hawks in our area. More than once I've looked out in the yard to seen one perched on a arbor in the flower garden or on the corner post on our deck. They'll sit there for quite a while if not disturbed. Even had one fly up on our front porch one day to catch a chipmunk. I heard a kind of a gonging sound from the front of the house and went to investigate. The Hawk had swooped onto our front porch
    and had evidently collided with one of our metal chairs as it went after the chipmunk. It sat there with the chippie in its talons for maybe 30 seconds like it had gotten its bell rung by the colllision, but then seemed to shake it off and flew away with its prize.

8. Aurora

Aurora

There's more of these flying around than you would think. People rarely look upwards so they don't see them.

V.

9. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

People rarely look beyond their phone screen, let alone look forward.

10. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

This guy is a regular around our house, he likes to hang out on the neighbors roof, and on a tree limb across the street in the field. Lots of rabbits around here...

[​IMG]

11. Whiskey Six

Whiskey Six Marine 0369 Platinum Member

Awesome birds. When I was a kid I had a friend that raised Red Tail hawks. Really impressive perched on your arm!:wow: We hunted rabbits with them. Amazing birds.

12. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

There is a mated pair of golden eagles on campus... I am still trying to get a photo of them. But my first encounter with one of them was a couple years back. I was riding my bike and this massive shadow covered me. I thought it was a Cessna on approach!

Damn near wrecked my bike trying to get away from the "plane". Once I realized what it was I stopped and watched as it ended up taking a rabbit off in a field to my right. A most impressive bird of prey!

13. okie

okie GT Mayor

Awesome pic, my friend:thumbsup:

14. Combatcomm

Combatcomm

15. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Very cool pic. I looked up the other day to see a bald eagle flying away, 50 feet or so away from me.

16. jswest86

jswest86

Man that is awesome I would love to do that, isn't it called falconry or something like that when you hunt with a bird of prey? Check out this golden eagle catching a deer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKlUSxgge3o

17. Berto

Berto woo woo

We have quite a few red tailed hawks in the PNW.
    One day I was hitting golf balls at the local driving range, big giant nets surround the range supported by telephone poles.
    One top of one pole was this hawk, being dive bombed by about 4 pissed off crows.
    Didn't even phase the hawk.

18. F350

F350

Several years back I was in a tree stand deer hunting, dressed in the original TreeBark camo with a boony hat. A red-tail hawk caught a squirrel and flew to a tree limb about 30 yards away for breakfast.

When he had finished and preened a bit, he just kinda fell forward off the limb, then spread his wings and was flying along the old logging road I was hunting and I thought "neat, I'm going to get to look down on a flying hawk.

Well, suddenly he pulls up, gets above head level, and at about 6 feet away starts to "back peddle" and just like the hawk landing on the "I" in the old Buick commercial he extends the landing gear to to land on the top of my head :wow:

At about 3 feet I put my arm up and started waving him off, almost close enough to touch, he diverted to a limb about 10 feet away and sat there looking at me, twisting his head around trying to figure out just what kind of broken off tree limb I was. After about a minute he flew off, wish I had a picture of him 3 feet away in landing mode.

19. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Both those hawk pics are wonderful! I always love seeing them around!

20. shift

shift

nevermind pics to big

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010