close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dear (Very) Aggravating Craigslist Person,

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LilWolfess, Mar 18, 2012.

1. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

(Background)

I've bought and sold a few things on that wonderful website with almost all very very good luck, but this week has been just plain old stupid.

Today, the stupid rose to the ceiling, and hit the fan, but didn't really have anywhere to splatter because the rest of the room was full of stupid.

I'm selling a motorcycle, which will remain mostly undescribed except that it's cheap and not pretty. This is made quite clear in my advertisement, and I even posted a picture, with the offer to post any detailed pictures that people asked for. (Actually, I'm selling two of them, but that will soon become unimportant.

At 8:16 this morning, I got a text from (no idea on name so I'm calling him 3116):

"Bike still for saal?"

(Me, assuming that it's a fat finger touch screen issue, which I usually forgive one or two.) - "Which one? I have two bikes for sale, and both are up on craigslist."

"Both send me pics"

This was confusing. One's a street bike, and one's a really high strung motocross bike. Two TOTALLY DIFFERENT machines. I put it aside to the person being young and having money to burn or something. It is tax return season after all. I send a few pictures, and then hop in the shower to frantically get ready beings as another person was showing up quite shortly to look at the street bike.

I was in the shower for about 6.5 minutes. My phone went off about 5 times. All of them were texts. Here I'll mention that in the ad, it says call me, NOT text me. Maybe if you have a quick question that's easily answered, then texting is appropriate. However, those five texts read as follows:

"wat is bike?"

"is it a good bike?"

"can go?"

"faster"

"wats ur loset $"

I took my time in replying, partly because I had to figure out what he was asking, and partly because that's a fair amount of information to convey via a text message, especially when I'm fairly slow with my thumbs. Oh, did I mention that I was also getting ready to show the bike?

It was a whopping 4 minutes before my phone started to honestly blow up.

"u there"

"ansr plz"

"lowest $"

"diddy bac"

Those came at one minute intervals. During that four minutes, I got a call from the potential buyer asking for directions, so as I was trying to speak, my phone kept beeping and exploding away in my ear.

Finally after 2 more minutes, I replied to the Dingus:

"I have a potential buyer looking at the bike in a little bit here. I'll answer your questions in a couple hours."

Apparently that's an invite to send three thousand more single word and/or single letter, and short question ambiguous texts. Well three thousand is an exaggeration, but the texts continued to flood in.

When the buyer showed up, I plain old shut off my phone because Dingus Brain 3116 wouldn't shut up. After about 45 minutes of chatting, looking the bike over, and a test ride, the buyer decides that it's not what he wants, and politely tells me so. He was still (very) chatty and so I jokingly mentioned Dingus Brain 3116 to him. He thought it was pretty crazy, so I turned my phone back on to show that it actually happened.

I didn't count them, but it was a solid three minutes of my text noises going off. No joke!

TBC, it gets crazier!

2. Kimelac

Kimelac Bada Bing! CLM

uhh, I think that you should chalk this one up to a totally different dignus brain... you left your phone # on a craigslist ad and expected quality responses? Why don't you just post your phone number here and see what you get ? yowch.

3. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Anytime I have sold anything on Craig's List I have created a temporary email address which, after the article is sold, goes to email heaven. I won't put my real phone number on that site for fear that I will end up having to deal with someone like Mr. 3116.

4. cphilip

cphilip

NEVER EVER... leave your phone number on the Craigs list add... always make them email you for it... and cryptic your email, if you decide to place it in the add... at that.

5. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Unfortunately, when you immerse your bait into the deep, dark, well of public ignorance, occasionally you get a nibble. Selling on Craig's List can be like that.

I feel for you.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  6. Nords

Nords

www.mailinator.com

you don't need to sign up, you just go and check whatever email address you want.

So in the ad put glocktalk456@mailinator.com

You ALL can go right now and check that inbox ;)

Although I just have CL anonymize my email in the post, and I just respond with my normal email if the person seems legit.

7. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Many years ago I sold a $300 truck on CL.

Yes, $300. It ran and drove which is why I didn't post a free scrap metal ad instead. Well, you can imagine the types I had coming to look at it. Lots of people complaining about the most asinine things. The clutch was pretty low, the steering was sloppy, and the floorboards were rusted out. What did they expect in a $300 truck?

The guy who finally bought it was just happy it moved under it's own power.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  8. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

yeah there are always some idiots on CL. i use CL's anonymous email listing and let them reply that way. it kind of weeds out some unsavory characters that dont have immediate access to a computer/email. i rarely use my phone number for transactions unless i email them and they seem to be able to spell, compose comprehensible english sentences, and seem somewhat legit, then they get my number. Also, never bring CL buyers to your home. meet somewhere public. safeway, wally world, etc. i had punk kids try to break into my garage the night after showing a sportbike to a potential "buyer". they gave the excuse "i might have left my wallet" after getting caught redhanded and a CZ pointed at them. im glad nothing happened.

9. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

So, based on all the comments telling me an idiot for listing my number which was formatted to prevent stupid people from contacting me, I will honestly say that I had no idea this was going to happen, beings as I listed my ad the same way I have the past quite a few times I've sold something. I have never in my life had this happen before. I was very naive based on my previous very good luck.

Continued...

Three continuous minutes of dinging and beeping later, both myself and the not-buyer stood there quite astonishedly. I am talking boggley eyes and mouths hanging partially open and everything that would express complete astonishment and disbelief.

"Not trying to intrude or anything, but what on earth is that nutcase saying to you!?!?!?"

So I started reading some of the texts.

"wat maintence?"

"u gotta"

"u got hear me hear"

"i derserve a fair chances"

"i derserve ur bike"

"its a sweet bike i got have!"

"tlk me back man!"

"i got 3 kids sir help jme out"

"diddy bak!"

"i derserve this bike!"

(Someone, please tell me what the heck "diddy bak" means?).

At that point it continued with a bunch of "helo? uther?"s. So my not-buyer urged me to check if he even had a motorcycle endorsement or a driver's license. I had nothing to lose since the texts were still coming steady.

"Do you happen to have a driver's license and a motorcycle endorsement?"

"ya all my frinds got dem"

"i had a scooter!"

"dis will b my frist bike!"

"i'm coming 2 get it now!"

Which he definitely wasn't, beings as I didn't give him any information except the city it's located in, which was listed in the ad, which I'm pretty sure he didn't even fully read.

This continued a lot, then when I declined his offer which was less than half my asking price,

"No, **** is as low as I can afford to go. Don't text me again unless you have the cash in hand."

His tone changed to what I could only interpret as begging and whine-ey. I didn't really check these as they came, because the not-buyer guy had to go, and I had to go to work, and don't really care to check my phone whilst riding. Especially in a 20mph side wind.

When I got to work, I checked my phone again. There were a bunch more texts. This was surprising because I had dismissed the guy.

"cman man i got kids"

"gimme chanse"

"u jut dont unnerstand me"

"i got kid!s 3ovem"

"u mst not hve ne kidz!"

"cmon ur *bleeping* me ovr *** bux!"

"i got kidz the mone is gon go fast!"

"u wont see n offr lik this nevr! monee gos 2fast when u got kidz"

Then he sent me a picture of some big powerful fast shiney crotch rocket, and said if he saved his cash, that he'd buy that instead of my bike. I could kinda care less about that. If he wants the shiney bike, he should go right ahead and save his dollars to get that bike.

"my lif it is so harder than urs so just give it me!"

"u must not hav ne kidz"

"jus losted mah job cant get nethin eltz 2 ridee!"

"cash gon b gon soon u wont see ne of it"

That was just a few of them. So I finally replied back.

"Sorry your life is hard. I will not sell my bike to you. DO NOT CONTACT ME AGAIN."

What I really should've said?

"Use a condom, idiot, especially if you want to have money to buy cool toys!"

I'll have to review my phone bill for the exact number, but I estimate at least 60 texts from that guy in a period of 4 hours.

10. Andy W

Andy W

Yep, lots of horror stories from Craigslist.

11. Andy W

Andy W

Can you block his number?

12. RedNine

RedNine AutomatedSystem

That's slang for, "I'm a dirt bag."

My response after he wrote that would have been "SOLD".

13. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

agree to his price and make sure the address you give him is in the worst ghetto in the city:rofl:

14. PBCounty

PBCounty

Sounds like someone was laughing their ass off while screwing with you.

15. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

yeah, if people sound like d-bags or morons, i just send them "SOLD"

16. Multiple Arms

Multiple Arms

Ur. When I first saw the word 'ur' being used I thought, "Wow. Some young archeologist is studying about the ancient Sumerians!"

Nope.... :dunno:

17. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

"Diddy" what? :dunno:

Did it work?

18. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

There's this little matter that I live so far North that we don't exactly have ghettos, let alone cities big enough to have ghettos. Just sayin'. :supergrin:

19. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

It surprisingly did. I was seriously considering contacting both my cellphone company and the police. It was getting pretty harassing, and I'm not exactly the type who's harassed very quickly or easily.

20. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

ah. didnt pay attention to the NW MN in your profile. in that case send him the GPS coordinates to a corn field in the middle of no where.