Dear Mr. President . . .

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Morris, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Morris

Morris CLM

National Police Week is quickly approaching. While you seem to have the time to do dinners with celebs, show your cool side on television and spend hundreds of thousands for vacations, I have to wonder if you will do the honorable thing and make an appearance at the memorial service this year.

Can you explain to me and hundreds of thousands of other officers, deputies, troopers and agents why after all your stupidity, you can't spend two hours attending what happens literally less than a mile from the people's house you currently stay in? Are you really so busy that you can't find the time? Or is it because despite beer summits and sons you wish you had, you actually hate cops unless they march to your flavor?

Do the decent thing this year and appear, if nothing else than to be there; to see, hear and understand. It may enlighten and educate you. Provided you want that.

Is it too much to ask?

Sincerely,

A veteran officer

2. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

X2. Good post, has he been to one since he's been elected?

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Nope, he hasn't.

Has not for the past three (3) years.

No reason to expect him this year. But then again, this year is an election year.

And if he is going to appear, I'm definitely not attending.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  4. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I was reading the OP and was left wondering "do I even care if the guy's there?" I do. Agree or disagree with the person in the position, the significance of the office is important enough.

5. RocPO

RocPO

I'd rather he and his anti-American self stay far far away from the Memorial. I'm sure he can find somewhere else to vacation to visit.

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

I'd rather he didn't go. No point in confusing the issue for the casual observer.

7. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I'd rather he didn't go either because the hypocrisy, lack of sincerity, and outright pandering for election year votes would make me want to throw up in my Class A's.

I would respect him more if he didn't go and told the truth about how he felt and left it at that. I really would rather be told by someone they don't like me and be done with it than have them pretend or pander for their own reasons and waste my time.

8. Ajon412

Ajon412

He's got to campaign in front of someone. Why should he stop now....:dunno:

9. blueiron

blueiron

His own policies and people have killed Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry. The mariginal apologies came far too late and are in no way sincere. The cover-up continues.

Why should any cop want him there?

10. merlynusn

merlynusn

While I agree personally with lawman and blueiron, I also think Brad has it right.

The President of the United States should be there, regardless of our personal opinions of him. Now, I think he should have been there each of the last three years as well and if he shows up this time, someone should ask him why he chose to come now and not in the past. But the office needs to be there. The Office of the President is bigger than any one man (woman).

11. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

If he would come, he properly abuse the situation for his false agendas.
    So it's better is he stays away!

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I used to think that... and I still respect the office and everything the office stands for... but his actions over the last 3 years has shown me that he has no respect for the office whatsoever and not much more respect for anything else this country stands for, including all of the men and women who serve in the military/police.

Opening up the situation room to pander to the press so he can politicize national security in the election season is the latest stunt from this president. While the Navy SEALs deserve every kudos they ever get, I'm sure they would prefer the details of the Bin Laden raid not get used for personal gain of the president... along with bullying Romney donors, releasing strategic oil reserves to drive down domestic gas prices for personal political purposes instead of national security, etc., and I won't even name the last 3 year's worth of crap he pulled using the office as his own bully pulpit.

So, while I know exactly what you and Brad are saying, personally, I think he's done more than enough that I can pretty much say that he doesn't stand for anything that I respect in that office... and that I would be more than happy to just get a press release from the White House Press Secretary about the event, written by some flunkie intern, instead of having him there pretending to give a crap.

13. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

As the survivor of a fallen LEO and having attended in his honor in 2004 and saw President Bush, I say that Mr. Obama need not attend this year nor any other year. In my mind he is not welcome nor worthy to be in the presence of the fallen's families.

14. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

wouldnt it be ironic if cops refused to go to obama's funeral the same week?

15. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Pres. Bush always made it a point to shake the hand of every fallen LEO's family member.

I remember 2005 and 2007, when May 15 was hot and humid and we all stood around in full dress uniform for a couple of hours... waiting for President Bush to finish. Miss those days.

16. Vigilant

Vigilant

It might be my imagination, but BO seems a bit depressed here lately. I've been thinking about sending him something to cheer him up a bit.... like a new carpet bag.

17. merlynusn

merlynusn

And I agree with you lawman. I really do. Which is why it's sad that someone in that office refuses to go to police week.

Personally, I hope he does not show up. He has already proven his disregard for the office and the police in general.

18. Southswede

Southswede

I am sorry for your loss. I have no words of real comfort. I hope you take comfort that your loss will never be forgotten as it is etched in stone at a hallowed place.:fallenofficer:

19. WarCry

WarCry

Wait, I know that dealing with little things like facts can get one in trouble in political argument, but I have to refute something. Every keeps saying the current president hasn't honored police for the past three years, but....

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/05/15/fallen-officers-honored-during-police-week

That was 2010. I didn't do any further Googling, but I'm not sure making declarative statements without checking it does any arguments any favors.

But here's what I don't get: A bunch of folks here seem REALLY pissed if he doesn't go, but it seems like you'd be equally insulted if he did show up. It can't be both ways....

20. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I've only been in LE under two presidencies. Pres. Bush's eight years in office he made it every year except one (where he was overseas). Pres. Obama's three years in office, he missed two (2009 and 2011) and made it once.

With that record, I'd have more respect for him if he just didn't attend. Or didn't speak. But this year's an election year. Call me cynical.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012