close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dealing with Car Salesman.....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by robbcayman, Mar 30, 2010.

1. robbcayman

robbcayman

Okay, my wife is 8 months pregnant and we realize we are going to have to get her a different car i.e. 4 doors. She currently has a 2003 2 door honda civic with 90k on it. We went to a nissan "stealership" tonight and left really frustrated.

First off, they kept changing the price on the car we were interested in i.e. salesman and manager were saying 2 different things. Then they wanted to give us $4k for our car :rofl: I told them it retailed for $9k according to kbb & private sale listed $7,200 and he just stared at me. I realize they aren't going to pay full retail, but $4k was a joke. I've put the car on craigslist and haven't had a ton of interest. Maybe I need to slash the price a little more.

Anyways, we were frustrated, because the guy said he couldn't come off the price of the car we were interested in. I told him we weren't paying sticker for the car and he said he had never heard of this sticker pricing stuff. :upeyes: I said may I please have my keys. He continued to argue and involve other managers when I finally said I want my keys now and we left.

For the future, what can I do better to get the best deal?? Should I negotiate through email before ever setting foot on the property? Any ideas? We wasted 3 hours of lives and I surely don't want to do that again.

Lastly, we are wanting to sell the civic and pay the remainder with cash, so we won't incur any debt out of this deal. PS: Sorry for the novel.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. PBCounty

PBCounty

All I can say is, KBB doesn't mean a damn thing. That's all. I am sure others will disagree.

Good luck to you.

3. k9medic

k9medic

I bought my last 3 cars over the telephone and had them delivered to me. Edmunds has a good pricing guide. You'd be lucky to get 5K in a private sale on the civic. Just too many good deals out there right now.

4. paperairplane

paperairplane

Here's how you a buy a car and get a decent price:

Know what you want - but be flexible. If you want an exact model, color, etc - you will pay more.

Know your real budget - loan, buy, whatever - have your numbers down.

Make one offer - "Bottom line, I will pay $xxx for this car right now. That's my best offer - can we get this done?"

I do not haggle, I do not negotiate, I do not walk away. Here is the highest number I will pay. If they say no, it is not personal - this is a business deal. Maybe they have too much in the car, maybe they have a buyer that might pay more, maybe they don't think you are serious and just want to low ball them.

There are at least five 2003 civics on ebay right now with a buy it now under $6000. So a dealer trade should be around $3-4500.

5. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

His offer on your car sounds about right. What was the KBB trade value?

I bought my wife a new car yesterday. 2010 Corolla S. $1200 off sticker, 0% interest for 60 months loan. First 2 years of scheduled service included. They threw in an extended warranty to push the factory warranty out to 6 yrs/100K miles. Got $18,800 out of my trade that KBB said was worth $18,255 trade value (retail $25,560 according to KBB. You'll never get anything near KBB retail out of a trade. Most likely you'll never even get near the private party value.) In the end, they cut me a check. Very nice. Had "0" miles on the odo when we test drove it.

Maybe you should consider a Toyota and take advantage of the fallout from the hysterical fools that think they'll die if they drive one, and lack the ability to shift to neutral and keep their floormats pulled back. They're making it hard on Toyota right now, and they're really cutting some deals here. Nissan's new cars appear to be junk anyway, from what I've seen in my research. They likely did you a favor.

Edited to add: Oh, yeah. Deal on the phone, and/or by email. I had most all of the above terms worked out before I got on the lot. Some were givens, like the promotional interest rate, but the others I negotiated by telling them they had exactly what I wanted, but I wasn't coming down there until they agreed to my terms. In the end they said "come on, we'll do it" and I just did a quick test drive and signed the papers. 3rd time in a row I've bought my car on the phone, and I always come out better than I ever did in person.

6. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

you are a joke to them,

you want top dollar for a car that is almost 10 years old, and high mileage,

you admitted yourself there is no interest in your car ..

do you think by magically putting it on the lot it will become a wanted car ?

and you didnt even say what your interested in buying,

they have a lot more wiggle / haggle room on an armada / titan than they do a bottom of the line pathfinder / xterra or their lower end cars ..

7. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Paperairplane has the right idea.

Know what you want. Know what you should pay. Know what your car is worth.

Tell them up front what the deal is that you want, and that it is the best you're going to do. Tell them you'd rather not haggle.

An honest salesman and an honest sales manager will respect your wishes, and tell you whether or not they can do the deal. If they can, you have a car. If they can't, smile, shake hands, and part pleasantly.

This has worked for me in the past.

8. Buzzo

Buzzo

Trick to car salesmen is to talk to them in a 3rd party. Never speak directly to them. Never call them by their name, always him or her.

9. mymini40

mymini40

If I were you, Id check out Toyota. After all this hulabaloo about their recalls, theyre more inclined to give you a deal. That is if youre like me and dont really believe all those fairy tales of racing engines on highways.

10. paperairplane

paperairplane

New Corolla is ballpark $20k, less rebate and trade = $0.

So you got a 0% interest loan on $0 for 60 months.... I'm not great at math, what do your monthly payments look like?

11. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Sounds like you did fine. I hop around...if the salesman/manager and I can't come to an agreement on a fair price, I tell them no deal and that I'm off to a different dealership. I've had 2 or 3 call me on my cell phone 5 minutes after I left out of the parking lot and they met the price I was willing to pay.

And as far as trade-ins...you're gonna get the shaft every time on that, period. The best thing to do is sell your vehicle private sale and put the cash down on the new one.

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Serious question:

How much would you pay for a 2003 Honda Civic 2dr coupe with 90k miles on it?

No one in their right mind is going to pay $9k for your 7yr old car, and I don't think anyone is looking to separate themselves from $7k of their cash for a 7yr old car with almost 100k miles on it.

Be realistic. Otherwise you're just wasting your time and their time.

'Drew

13. robbcayman

robbcayman

I don't know about being a "joke" to them. I didn't expect full retail, but I didn't think it would be more than 50% less than the retail value. Heck, maybe I overestimated the whole KBB thing. Trust me, it won't be the first time I've been wrong. If I need to slash the price then that's what I will do. The car is paid for, so it's not the end of the world.

I was thinking KBB had the price right, because honda's typically hold their value. I've seen Honda Civics with over 250k on the odometer and running strong, so 90k doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Yeah, I think I will try to do everything through email now. No point in wasting hours sitting on a deal that may or may not happen. If I get a deal in writing it would be harder for them to backpedal.

I'm going to give Toyota a look too. I'm really looking for a crossover type vehicle. We want an SUV that's a little bigger than a typical car for safety reasons i.e. bigger mass in a crash. However, our main priorities are 4 doors, so my wife can easily load the baby.

Thanks for all the info. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really schooled in selling/buying cars. I hate this process, because I am naturally cheap and want to avoid getting ripped off. On the other hand, I do realize I need to have reasonable expectations of a fair deal for both parties.

14. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

They send me $240 a month. :supergrin:

I had a balance on my trade. I would have thought that would be obvious, since I took a loan. I suppose I didn't make that clear enough. My point was to emphasize that Toyota is dealing big time right now.

And I paid way less than $20K. :wavey:

15. dac1204

dac1204

I think right now the car lots around here are making better deals with beater trade ins then for good trade ins. My wifes cousin took a 2002 kia sophia with 180000 miles on it and they gave her 2500 dollars towards the purchase. She got a 2010 Honda Civic. (she probably didnt get that much after they got done but) Then my wifes Aunt went and got a 2010 Nissan Altima and traded her 2006 jeep in and they only gave her 6000 dollars. It was a base model jeep and had alot of miles but still it doesnt make sense to me.

Both were from the same dealership. You know one of those mega we carry 19 different makes if that matters.

16. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

He sure as hell can get more for it through a private sale.

You say "be realistic", which is just another way of saying "decide how much you're willing to be screwed on the trade-in".

17. RustySocket

RustySocket

research what you want to buy on edmunds. Call your local costco and get a quote from them. Go to dealership and as to speak with the fleet manager. Show him quote from costco.

I happen to enjoy car deals. Leave the wife at home. Leave the trade out of the deal. Both only confuse the issue.

18. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Well, another way to look at it might be, how much time and effort and money are you able/willing to put into selling it yourself to get the extra couple grand you might get for the trouble?
    It's my experience that few cars sell in less than 2 weeks, private party. Especially cars valued at more than $3k. Some take months. If you have that kind of time, great. But, if you've got a baby coming, and you've got other stuff to tend to, and don't feel like cleaning the car up, taking pics, listing it on 8 different websites, 3 newspapers and parking it at the local corner store with a for sale sign, then it might be worth eating the equity and trading it.

It's what's important to each individual seller. Ease of transaction and time savings, or the extra cash. Rarely ever do the cash and time savings come together. I've done both. I prefer to trade if they get anywhere near a reasonable figure, but IF I've got the time, I'll try to sell it myself.

19. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Realism is understanding that private sale >> dealer trade in, 99.999% of the time.

Realism is also understanding that the car is worth FAR MORE to them as a 2nd car once the baby gets here. I have an 04 Yukon XL >120k miles on it, and if memory serves me correct, the dealer was offering me $9k on a trade last year.

It's worth $15-18k to me, cuz I can use it to make money, and if I didn't have it, my replacement cost would be in that $15-18k region.

20. hpracing007

hpracing007

Clients all the time:

"I want book for my trade! That's how much it's worth!"

"...but I don't want to pay book (or sticker in this case) for yours."