close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DE Razor / Straight Razor shaving.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by syntaxerrorsix, Sep 22, 2012.

1. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

After numerous threads on wet shaving and DE safety razors I decided to see what it was all about.

I picked up an Edwin Jagger razor, brush and some Bigelow shave cream, some Col. Conk shave soap and some proper prep items. The razor shipped with Derby blades.

After two weeks with the DE and applying proper technique I decided a straight razor was in order so I picked up Boker 5/8 with brown Micarta scales which as I found out is NOT sent shaving sharp from the manufacturer.

Since that experience I ordered up a Norton 4000/8000 and Fromm strop.

Who knew shaving was going to be this expensive?

The stones and strop have not arrived yet so the new kit is set aside while I continue to get phenomenal shaves from the safety razor.

Any advise in regards to the straight razor?

I managed a WTG shave on one side, when I went ATG I learned that it wasn't shaving sharp, it didn't cut me but it basically stopped and gathered up the skin. It would not cut the fur. I used my regular knife strop with chromium oxide to strop it as it was all I had. My current bench stone tops out at at like 2k so it really isn't high enough to hone with.

On a positive note the F&F of the Boker is pretty nice and I think I've got the grip and angle down I just need to get some finer sharpening equipment.

[​IMG]

2. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

I sharpen/resharpen knives and razors for a side business ... test them on your arm before the face. :wow:

Just a tip. :supergrin:

3. rdrkt

rdrkt

I use feather blades in my DE Mekur razor and love it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. syntaxerrorsix

Feather blades seem to be the most complained about DE razor I've read about. Seem's as if they are too sharp and people nick themselves up. Even my Derby's do better after a weeks work of shaving.

5. Russ in PA

Russ in PA

That Bigelow shave cream, which I think is made by Proraso of Italy, is great stuff! I use just a pea-sized dollop of it on a bager brush & shave with twin-blade disposable razors. The menthol feels great on my skin.

6. JerryVO

JerryVO

Another feather blade fan here. Use them in all of my DE razors. No such thing as too sharp, only bad technique.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

7. FPS

FPS

After trying a variety of blades I now only use feathers in my DE. Never any issues with my baby face.

For my straight razor I sharpen with Shapton Glass Stones; 4k, 8k, 16k. If the straight razor isn't sharpened properly its going to be tough on your face. Your ability to sharpen and strop is directly related to the shave you will get.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  8. syntaxerrorsix

Heck I can shave my arm with every knife I own.

9. syntaxerrorsix

The consensus appears to be an X pattern with the weight of the blade only. I free hand sharpen all of my cutlery so I imagine this won't be hard to accomplish.

10. FPS

FPS

I'm not disagreeing with you but want to mention that it's the polishing of the blade on the 16k and the relentless stropping that really make an edge come to life on the razor. It sounds like you are already into sharpening so you will most likely enjoy the challenge. Have fun at it.

11. syntaxerrorsix

Are you using plain leather to strop or do you use polishing compounds like the chromium oxide bars? Is 16K as high as you go? Seems most think the 4k/8K is plenty.

12. FPS

FPS

13. Creatism

Creatism

Ok for sharpening if you don't have a fixed angle sharpener, ie your just using a stone and that's it. I take a couple of pieces of electrical tape and place on the spine of the blade. This provides the perfect angle for the blade. Then just sharpen it as you normally would. I would wet strap it with either water or one of the compounds they sell for that, and give a few passes after sharpening and polishing the blade on the stones. You will, depending on how much you shave, have to do this every 3-6 months.
    As far as shaving itself. It takes some time to get the angle and amount of pressure right to give you the best shave. My problem areas are the jaw line and the area right under the jaw. For the life of me I can't seem to get that one right. Best of luck and take your time, you get some VERY interesting nicks and cuts from a straight razor.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

The best blades are Astra. The best razor is a Merkur HD Slant bar. The best cream is 6 dollar a tube Proraso from Florence. What I do is shower, then squeeze a toothpaste-sized amount of proraso on a brush I dipped in hot water and drained. Then I lather up my face with a badger hair brush for 1 full minute. I wait 10 seconds more, then get a good angle, and shave straight down one pass, then again down, then up one pass. With this technique, I can shave in about 5-7 minutes (prep included), even if I hadn't shaved in two weeks. I get a close, comfortable shave, but I don't need to be smooth as glass. Better to get a comfortable shave than a super close, but irritated shave.

I never bother with my straight razor. My girlfriend loves my scruff so I shave rarely these days, but on the days I do, I achieve a great shave with a minimal setup.