Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
42,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A prospective employer requires a copy of my DD214 for my background check. Seeing as my DD214, along with birth certificate, SS card, and all other such paperwork disappeared when my wife left a few years back, I had to request another copy from the gov. They sent me two copies of the Service 2, but the employer is insisting that I provide a Member 4. It is my understanding that you only get one Member 4 at separation, and any replacements can only be the Service 2. Is that correct, or is there a way I can get my hands on a replacement Member 4?

·
Anti-Federalist
20,811 Posts
Did you happen to file one at you HOR courthouse as suggested in the out briefing? Just thinking you may have forgot that one.

Unfortunately I'm of no help as to answering your question.

·
Banned
42,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you happen to file one at you HOR courthouse as suggested in the out briefing? Just thinking you may have forgot that one.

Unfortunately I'm of no help as to answering your question.
Of course not, that would have been smart.

·
AKA Fluffy316
2,208 Posts
Just call Robert Gates and tell him that you lost your Member 4 through circumstances out of your control and ask for a replacement. :whistling:

I have googled this and so far, all I see is that DoD will not give you another Member 4, they only grant a Service 2.

Is there any way to get this from your Ex-wife? It may even be grounds to sue her for damages.

·
Banned
42,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just call Robert Gates and tell him that you lost your Member 4 through circumstances out of your control and ask for a replacement. :whistling:

I have googled this and so far, all I see is that DoD will not give you another Member 4, they only grant a Service 2.

Is there any way to get this from your Ex-wife? It may even be grounds to sue her for damages.
I'm afraid that replacements are only available as Service 2s.

I've contacted her repeatedly regarding this, and all I ever hear is "I never had them".

·
Inquisitive
13,123 Posts
Don't understand the problem.

If you request a copy on line, you are asked if you want the separation "short copy" or the full member copy, you can get one or both. Had a mishap with the County filing of mine many years ago (they claimed they never got it from me) and had to request a new one just a short while back. Didn't take long at all.

I received a new long copy (service members copy). which I promptly filed with the County......again. It had all the info on it that my original did, even says "service members copy number 4" on the bottom. Got the book and page number it was filed in this time, just to be sure...and they made me several certified copies with the seal on them to use if needed. "Copies" without the seal are useless, just an FYI.

So they are available, just have to make certain you request the correct one.

·
Banned
42,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't understand the problem.

If you request a copy on line, you are asked if you want the separation "short copy" or the full member copy, you can get one or both. Had a mishap with the County filing of mine many years ago (they claimed they never got it from me) and had to request a new one just a short while back. Didn't take long at all.

I received a new long copy (service members copy). which I promptly filed with the County......again. It had all the info on it that my original did, even says "service members copy number 4" on the bottom. Got the book and page number it was filed in this time, just to be sure...and they made me several certified copies with the seal on them to use if needed. "Copies" without the seal are useless, just an FYI.

So they are available, just have to make certain you request the correct one.
EVetRecs sent me a Service 2.

Service-2 has all the same info :dunno:
I know, and told them, but they won't take anything but a Member 4. I think I'm screwed.

·
Anti-Federalist
20,811 Posts

I know, and told them, but they won't take anything but a Member 4. I think I'm screwed.

Just leave it off the resume then. Sounds like their HR department needs to develop a little more latitude when dealing with vets anyways. Sorry for your luck, that plain sucks.

·
Banned
42,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just leave it off the resume then. Sounds like their HR department needs to develop a little more latitude when dealing with vets anyways. Sorry for your luck, that plain sucks.
It's an LE job, can't leave anything out :faint:

·
Anti-Federalist
20,811 Posts
It's an LE job, can't leave anything out :faint:
Holy poop, what a hassle. I can see no legal or verifiable difference between the two. It sounds like they just want you to jump through hoops which appears to be the general procedure for hiring on new academy graduates and the like of late. I have a couple of acquaintances in the fray with related levels of dumb to suffer through. Best of luck. I'll do some research.

·
Banned
42,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy poop, what a hassle. I can see no legal or verifiable difference between the two. It sounds like they just want you to jump through hoops which appears to be the general procedure for hiring on new academy graduates and the like of late. I have a couple of acquaintances in the fray with related levels of dumb to suffer through. Best of luck. I'll do some research.
I have no problem jumping through hoops, I just need to know that the hoops are jumpable, and I'm not sure if this one is :steamed:

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
LE Departments are retarded. If serving in the military was a pre-requisite for being an LEO the general public, and fellow officers would be much better off.

Keep in mind, I said departments. Seems like once you call someone "Chief" their brain disintegrates.

·
Anti-Federalist
20,811 Posts
Ok I get these two options.

REPORT OF SEPARATION (DD Form 214 or equivalent) This contains information normally needed to verify military service. Using this online system, a copy may be sent to the veteran or the deceased veteran's next of kin at this time.

1. I would like to request an UNDELETED Report of Separation. This normally will be a copy of the full separation document including such sensitive items as the character of separation, authority for separation, reason for separation, reenlistment eligibility code, separation (SPD/SPN) code, and dates of time lost. An undeleted version is ordinarily required to determine eligibility for benefits.

Or..

2. I would like to request a DELETED Report of Separation The following information will be deleted from the copy sent: authority for separation, reason for separation, reenlistment eligibility code, separation (SPD/SPN) code, and for separations after June 30, 1979, character of separation and dates of time lost.

https://vetrecs.archives.gov/VeteranRequest/home.asp

Option 1 should fulfill the needs of any employer. It IS you Member 4 info with character/separation/dependency codes and the like.

Option 2 hides all the possible codes that reflect poor service for whatever reason.

·
Inquisitive
13,123 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse sir, but are you certain you checked the correct boxes? There is a place to request the copy you are seeking. I may be wrong, it's been since I slept.....but I believe the default copy sent if the number 4 copy isn't specifically requested....is the number 2 copy.

It may serve you best to give them a call. They offer the number 4 copies just for cases such as yours, where no other copy will suffice. They really do.

If things have changed in the last couple of months.....I'm probably giving you outdated info, sorry. But it may well be worth a phone call before you assume you are screwed.

Good luck.

·
Inquisitive
13,123 Posts
Ok I get these two options.

Option 1 should fulfill the needs of any employer. It IS you Member 4 info with character/separation/dependency codes and the like.

There you go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you checked w/the VA where you got out? They may have a Member Copy 6 on file. You can go thru your local VA to get it.

I believe the diff between Mbr 2 and Mbr 4 is that #4 has your service dates and type of discharge on the very bottom of the form and # 2does not.
Mbr 6 has that same info as #4.

When applying for a gov't job recently (we were all converted from contractors and most of us had lost our #4s) - Randolph AFB turned down Mbr 2 copies but accepted Mbr 6 copies. ....that info on the bottom was the reason.

Rick

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
This is why I have a digital copy, a copy in a safe deposit box and a copy with my sister as well as one with me. Fortunately though neither of my employers have ever asked, even though I have it.

As for getting a copy...

http://www.ehow.com/how_2144356_dd-separation-record-using-evetrecs.html

There is a lot in here but if you take the time to filter through it...

http://www.americanwarlibrary.com/personnel/dd214dod.htm

This next one... not sure really but you can look into it as well.

https://aardvarkresearchgroup.com/on-site_NPRC_Military_Research.php

1 - 20 of 32 Posts