close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DC Distracted Driving Safety Act of 2004

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by frettedfive, Jul 8, 2004.

1. frettedfive

frettedfive KE5BSR

Effective July 1, the District of Columbia is enforcing the new Distracted Driving Safety Act of 2004. This act restricts the use - while driving a vehicle - of a cellular telephone, mobile telephone or other electronic device without the use of a hands-free accessory. Violations can result in a fine of $100.

Though I don't live in DC, I'm curious as to how this law will be applied to mobile ham operation. The wording seems to suggest that a ham talking with a mic in his hand could be charged under the law because the "electronic device" was not hands-free.

If laws such as this start being passed throughout the country, I'm fearful that this could put a damper on mobile ham radios.

Thoughts?

KE5BSR

2. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

"Are we on VOX!?"
    "No"
    "Go ahead Houston..."

:joker:

3. 00Buck

00Buck

I know they were talking about a similar law here and it would include using radios. I guess if you could figure out a way to use a mic with VOX you would be ok but you would have to do it without a headset because they are illegal here too. I have run mobile for many years without a problem. When traffic gets bad I sign off. I can see why people complain about the cell phones though, they are just too distracting for some people.