close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DBD, Are You OK?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, Apr 16, 2007.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I always assumed you are at Va Tech. Assunming I am right, let us know if you are OK?

Jack

2. DBradD

DBradD

I am at VT and am alive and well. I rarely go to campus nowadays (either at home or at the Lab), but have had at least 50 hours worth of classes in Norris. I will be teaching in building next door Wednesday and Thursday--that will be weird.

I probably won't know any of the students, but will probably know any professors who were killed (if any). That building houses the ESM department and I've had many of their solid mechanics and vibrations classes by now.

It's easy for me to see how somebody could kill many people in one of those classrooms. They're old-fashioned engineering classrooms, with many rows of desks and barely enough room between them to walk. Actually have to turn sideways and kinda shuffle. They cram 50-60 people in there, so it would be easy to shoot a few folks up front and the others would fall over them if they thought about attacking. Of course, there's a no guns on campus policy (yeah, that really worked :upeyes: ), so a murderer would know that he could just stand there and mow down the whole class.

Of course, I'm assuming that's about what happened.

Crazy stuff.

3. proactive

proactive

Glad your OK Brad.

4. California Jack

Glad to hear your OK Brad.

5. HavinaPretzel

HavinaPretzel Go Hokies!

6. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Glad you are okay, Brad.

7. DBradD

DBradD

I checked the timetable and my old hydraulics professor was teaching on that floor during that time slot. I couldn't find any classes taught by anybody else I know. Of course, no word if he's unperforated at this point--hoping for the best.

8. California Jack

Brad,

You have my empathy.

12 years ago this Thursday the OKC bombing happened. My wife lost a very good friend and our brother-in-law was there. He survived with mild injury, although the person standing across from his desk died.

All am trying to say is that I was stressed out by this happening for a few weeks. This is kind of embarrassing to admit, but I was even spooked walking my dog at night for a few days.

My point being, I understand the stress you are under and you have my best prayers and wishes.

Let me know if I can do anything,
    Jack

9. DBradD

DBradD

Thanks dude. I'm kinda hoping they cancel class Wednesday and Thursday. Not sure I'm qualified to deal with a situation like that at this point.

I bet that OKC stuff was no fun. It was bad enough seeing it from a distance. I was in OKC on a consulting project in about 2002 and saw the memorial. Surreal stuff.

10. California Jack

I understand, it would be tough.

On the lighter side, what did you work on here?

11. DBradD

DBradD

Actually kind of a funny story.

One of your hospitals (Presbyterian SomethingOrAnother?) has a crawlspace covered by 6-8 bays of composite framing. It had asbestos fire protection that was being removed and the contractor saw that some of the W12 beams were rusted through. There was about a foot of water in the crawlspace and the humidity took its toll over the years. I had to wear a full white space suit looking thing and measure all the beams including section loss, then come back to the office and figure out which beams were ok, which needed replaced, etc. It was a blast, hunching over in about a 4 ft tall area for that long taking notes and measurements.

12. California Jack

Yeah, Presbyterian. Interesting story. We get a lot of section loss repair porjects, but I'd suspect that this is expected more on bridges.

You were less than a mile from my office.

Let me know next time and we'll DL in my garage.;)

13. DBradD

DBradD

LOL, I'll do it. Hopefully I'll be far enough along to not embarrass myself too much.

The dept head just notified us that my old hydraulics professor was killed this morning. He was teaching advanced hydrology. At least two others in the class were killed also and we have no info on multiple other students so it doesn't seem good for them.

He was a great teacher and a really nice guy. Dr. G.V. Loganathan RIP. I had him for Hydraulics I and II in 1991 and passed him the hall numerous times in the last year or so. He had just won another big teaching award. I'd guess that he was about 50-55 years old.

An undergrad ESM solid mechanics class was also on that floor during that slot. I knew the teacher but didn't like him--still would rather have him not killed.

I can understanding wanting to kill somebody. I can even understanding killing some people if they did enough to deserve it. To just go wipe out a bunch of unrelated, defenseless people is completely beyond me. What a cowardly POS one would have to be to do something like that.

14. California Jack

Sorry to hear about your Prof Brad. Are classes canceled?

15. DBradD

DBradD

Shew--classes canceled! I woke up this morning thinking about what I'd do if somebody were to attack. I didn't come up with any good ideas. Without some firepower there, it seems pretty hopeless. I might have to break out the SmartCarry

16. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Good to hear. Stay safe.:thumbsup:

17. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

DBrad,

Just checking in the H&F forum. I didn't know you went to VT. Glad you're OK. I'll bounce around the other H&F threads to see what you guys are up to on CF, RT, etc.

Stay safe. Thoughts with your whole community over there.