Daytona 500

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DustyDawg48, Feb 14, 2010.

1. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

I don't think I could have been happier with the outcome. What a great race despite the track troubles. I'll have to admit I got a bit misty-eyed seeing the Bass Pro Shops car cross the finish line. Way to go Jamie

2. aerod1

aerod1 NRA Life Member

3. itstime

itstime

I used to be a big race fan. Have to admit, I really don't watch anymore.

4. winder

winder Having fun!

The Super Bowl of stock car racing delayed 3 hours because of a pothole? I lose more interest every race I suffer through.

5. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

A pothole at 190mph is like a crater. You ever been in a race car?

6. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I would have like to see Truex take it. Good race, though.

7. k594

k594

boogity boogity boogity let's go racing

8. Levidale

Levidale

I could have drove to Corpus Christi Tx, in the same amout of time,doing a little over the speed limit. Odessa Tx to Corpus Christi,Tx 495miles
    They need to fix that track!:wow:

9. Hurricanes

Hurricanes

I thought Jr. had the speed to overtake him, but I guess when the 00 backed off him he didn't have much left.
    -Joel

10. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

He gave it hell, though. Came up pretty good at the end. Not surprising, though, Jr has always been good at super speedways.

11. engineer151515

engineer151515

Yup

Great ending.

12. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

I thought the same thing when I saw the 88 in behind McMurry; I thought he was going to pull it off, but McMurry IS a good racer, he just seems to fall victim to others messes.

13. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

It was a great ending, but was almost amateurish in the inability of the drivers to not wreck. You expect that in the "lesser" series, but not in Cup.

Between the track problems, yellow flags for debris, and the restarts, if that was someones first race to watch, they would have thought NASCAR Cup was a bunch of amateurs.

If Danica Patrick had been running, and all those "new viewers" had been watching for the first time, they would have come away with a very low opinion of NASCAR Cup. Especially it being the biggest race of the season.

14. Dragline

Dragline

Decent ending. But yet again another race comes down to a two lap shoot out. You devote all this time to watching a NASCAR race and invariably a late caution sucks all the drama out of the ending.
    The only way I will spend any time watching a NASCAR race is to DVR it. Then I can fast forward past the commercials, cautions etc.

Oh and the 16 got robbed when he was leading with about a lap and half to go and another caution drags everything to halt.

15. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I thought that too. I'm pretty sure nerves and emotions got the best of some of them.

16. Hurricanes

Hurricanes

I agree that it sucks watching an entire race, only to have it come down to 2 laps. The way I would like to see it is if theres a yellow flag below the 5 lap mark, then they should restart it with 5 laps to go. If theres another yellow after that, then go for the green/white/checkered. And today especially it seemed like the ground crew was eating *****. Everytime there was a wreck and they were about to get the green, they would bring back out the yellow for 2 more laps, because someone forgot to pick something up.
    -Joel

17. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

From a deep south supporter, been going since I was 5 to the firecracker 400 and Daytona 500, this thing has become a snooze fest.
    Literally I fell asleep. Would wake up, hear announcers droning on for an hour, fall back asleep.
    Nascar is in trouble. This is just boring crap, run two laps, caution, run two laps, caution.
    Take the damn restrictor plates off so there is some separation and let the boys race. Watching them go round and round with no passes only to crash every time they attempt to pass is ridiculous.
    France overreacted to some cars in the stands and now this thing is about like watching golf on TV.

18. fireguy129

fireguy129

The cautions for tape and spin outs stunk. I'd like to see caution laps not count as a lap run. Getting it down to 5 to go, going green on 4, then waving it off for something trivial (I think it was, I don't remember now) was brutal. Slow the pace down to 20 mph let them clean it by the time the pace car comes back around.
    I like the aero package though, seems much better than previous plate races. No real "Big One" this year, was there?

19. engineer151515

engineer151515

I've given that some thought.

With today's computers and tracking, there is no need to run cars in a pack to determine who ran the distance in the shortest amount of time.

You could literally have the entire field of cars spread out over the course racing against the clock instead of against each other.

You would just have to do something about establishing the virtual "finish lines" for the fastest 5 or 6 cars.

But it would open things up.

Just a thought.

20. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

Did anyone notice the ads with the drivers hinting that NASCAR is going to let them off the leash? I think it was Johnson speaking of 'trading paint'.

I wonder how far this is intended to go, and if NASCAR is hearing what a lot of people are saying about NASCAR officials regulating the sport out of it.

What's everyone's take on that?