Dave Canterbury, new show: Dirty Rotten Survival.

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by wingryder, Sep 22, 2015.

1. wingryder

wingryder

So, I'm surfing across NatGeo and notice a show I've never heard of. Dirty Rotten Survival. Dave Canterbury is the main guy. I missed the first 10 minutes so I don't know what the basic premise is. They were given 5 min in a hardware store to purchase survival stuff and head out in the woods. There is a new episode on tonight at 9pm.

I like Dave and think he's got some great info on his Youtube channel. I'm glad to see him successful and hope he does well.

2. ric0123

ric0123

I caught the hiking episode last night. Not bad. I wouldn't call it a 'serious' survival show, but I like the chemistry between the hosts (and love that they don't fight constantly like on DS). Not a bad show, i'll keep watching it for nuggets. I remember the British guy from Junk Yard Wars, many, many years ago

wingryder likes this.

3. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

It is an interesting premise for this show. They have varied backgrounds and during the show will have 'challenges'. The challenges are quite interesting as it gives you three perspectives for the same situation. So the show is fun to watch but also educational at the same time. I also like that they are thinking outside the box on some things and on other things are bringing primitive or ancient methodology.

I'm enjoying it so far and it's really great to see Dave back on T.V.

I still like my idea for a show; take a specific scenario and each week have a different expert tackle the scenario. So let's say the scenario is a car that breaks down in the middle of nowhere, what does Cody do? Next week what does Dave do, week after that what does Les do? And so forth to see where they are similar and where they contrast and what worked better. Some of these guys would never work together on the same show, but perhaps they would work on the same show if they weren't actually with each other.

wingryder likes this.
  4. wingryder

wingryder

I will continue to watch the show but I would like to see more of a useful survival show. This one is fun (i've only watched the Hardware show) but it seems a little silly.

5. seamaster

seamaster

Are people still watching survival shows? I thought that fad was over by now and I have a hard time watching guys who are doing it primarily because they want to be famous. I can't watch that guy!

6. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Wasn't he fired from another show (Dual Survival???) for lying on his resume? Holy cow, posers in the survival industry! Joe teti lied about being a Combat Diver and he is still on the air.

I bought a subscription to an library of videos from Panteao and they have a large section dedicated to survival. Dave made a majority of those videos. I thought they were pretty informative.

Anyone watch Fat Guys in the woods?

7. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Don't watch,do.'08.

Morris likes this.
  8. wingryder

wingryder

Yea, Dave was fired from Dual Survival. He did serve in the military but he was not a SRT trained Sniper as he claimed. He has survival credentials in his own right, just not from the military. This new show is just so so. I will give it a chance but I don't think it will make it. It's to much about the silliness and less about actual survival techniques. Joe Teti ruined DS for me. I like Matt Greene but Teti is a bossy know it all with limited skills IMO.

I do watch Fat Guys, and like that show however, it's on the Weather Channel and is not in my "surf zone". All my channels are in the 300's and TWC is alone in the 100's, so I rarely get there. NO, I don't have a DVR.

The best survival show I've seen is Alone on History Channel. Great format, eagerly awaiting season 2.

9. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

WR,

Agreed, from a technical aspect, I think Alone was the best. DS, so so, I agree with your assessment of the cast. Fat Guys has the benefit of catching some good techniques from Creek Stewart as well as helping the fat guys change their lives.

wingryder likes this.
  10. ElevenBravoDotNet

ElevenBravoDotNet

Dave is colorful and I enjoy his entertainment. I dont have NG and its not on Netflix so Ill have to wait to see it...

EB

wingryder likes this.
  11. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

In regards to Dave Canterbury, yes, he did inflate his resume. But it was in regards to a couple of courses. None of that impacted his actual survival/self reliant skill set which to be honest is pretty vast. In the woods or jungle Dave is one of the best experts in the country. I respect what he's accomplished.

Joe Teti on the other hand, not so much. From what I've researched he actually has no survival courses under his belt. He was kicked out of the combat diver course for cheating apparently and he's currently under a lifetime protection order and had all of his weapons taken away from him. Not to mention being tossed out of the Special Forces Association and pending law suits.

Discovery really dropped the ball. They fired Dave, who actually knows survival/self reliance over inflating his resume on a couple of courses. Yet they keep Joe who apparently lied about all his courses, really doesn't know much about survival, has a bunch of legal issues against him and is basically being accused of stolen valor for all intents and purposes. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

As far as Dave's new show, so far it's pretty much what it claims to be. And the first two episodes have been pretty fun and kinda educational.

wingryder likes this.
  12. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Reminds me of Top Gear for survival.

13. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    Jeremy Clarkson on a survival show........................priceless

14. Tom Kanik

Tom Kanik

15. Tom Kanik

Tom Kanik

I finally caught a couple of episodes; in th U.P. and the swamp. Looks like Dave is having fun, and you can still pick up a few ideas regarding survival. I definitely prefer Dave over Joe Teti! I met Dave at the Blade show a couple of years ago, and he seems like a really nice guy.

16. Dave514

Dave514

Somewhat entertaining with a few useful ideas incorporating the use of man made junk rather than just sticks and cordage.

I really like Dave and the 3 personalities compliment.

Teti is not for me. At all.

17. Aceman

Aceman

First of all, we need to move on from the resume issue. Everyone of you pads your resumes too. The guy has skills - nobody cares.

Second, cool that Dave is back!

Finally - again, reality check: We are NOT reality. we are a very small minority. Any show that appeals to us would NOT be appreciated by the masses. It's all about the advertising $.

18. Morris

Morris CLM

So you admit that you have padded your resume? Odd, because I haven't. Never have and never felt the need to. Many of us have not padded our resumes or curriculum vitae. Many of us are comfortable putting into our resumes or C.V.s actual work and actual training. No need to add padding if you are proud of who you are and what you have done in life, work and training. If your audience or potential employer likes what they read or see, they will hire you or broadcast you. If not, they don't.

In the age of a few keystrokes on the internet, anyone can verify a resume, or military training, or their life in general. Only fools pad their resumes or C.Vs these days.

19. Aceman

Aceman

Padded, over-emphasized, exaggerated whatever….

He "Excessively emphasized" something to get a gig - one he was eminently qualified for.

Whatever. Sorry we are not all perfect like you.

20. Morris

Morris CLM

Not perfect, just truthful when it comes to resumes and c.v.'s. I learned that from watching others like this Canterbury fella and their lives.

I watched one episode. Mildly entertaining.