close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Data recovery

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RenoF250, Dec 3, 2012.

1. RenoF250

RenoF250

I have a Iomega 1TB NAS that seems to have gone TU. You can read it a few files but then it quits responding. Looks like it is a fairly common problem and the solution is to put it in a USB enclosure and use a Linux boot disc to access. I think I can do that but then what do I do with the data? Can I write to a FAT drive from Linux? I would like to just be able to copy it all over to a good USB drive. Or perhaps write to DVD. Any quick,easy ways to do that?

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Ubuntu can read/write NTFS, Fat32, etc.. without issue. As long as the drive isn't bad(and it's just some sort of filesystem error) what you're saying should work OK...

Like you said:

Boot live CD
    Plug in both USB's..
    Move data from "bad" USB to "good usb"..

Problem solved.

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

IOMEGA and data loss. Now where have I seen those concepts associated before??? ;)

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

When all else fails, if you really really need to get the data back,

www.werecoverdata.com is the best of the best. Not cheap, but then if the data was not of value you'd not care if it was lost.

5. devildog2067

devildog2067

"etc" includes HFS... Linux handling of filesystems is really exceptionally good nowadays.

6. sappy13

sappy13

Lol, its been ages since iv thought about the Click of Death.

7. russoj429

russoj429

data recovery isn't a cheap thing.

i do data recovery for a living and the starting price at the company i work for is $695

and it sounds like you have a NAS enclosure which might be a RAID

if this is the case the cost for recovering a NAS RAID is well into the thousand dollar range.

but if it is a single drive in the NAS enclosure then the cost could be around $800.

8. russoj429

russoj429

click of death, most noted in WD drives

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

IOMEGA Zip drives invented the CoD.

[​IMG]

10. russoj429

russoj429

Zip drives were a terrible to begin with.

good idea but terrible

11. russoj429

russoj429

take the drive out of the enclosure, hook it to a machine running windows. you can hook it up using a USB adapter, or you can slave it with a SATA cable.

than run a program called UFS explorer on the drive. if the drive isn't physically damaged you should be able to see folder and file structure of the drive and extract it using UFS explorer.

now if the drive inside the NAS device is a seagate barracuda 7200.11 drive than it might be a firmware issue with the drive. if this is the case than you will have to send out the drive to be repaired to a data recovery lab unless you know how to terminal into the drive and repair the firmware with terminal commands

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Good post. I'm glad you brought up the cost of data recovery, as it leads to my next point..

For people reading this... This is why redundancy in your backup system is so important. If it's important enough to backup, it should be important enough to back up 2, maybe even 3-4x. Personally, I have 4 backups.

1. My NAS that I built, which has 2 drives that are mirrored. Note, not by RAID.. I have some rsync jobs that run automatically 2-3x a day. I'm not a huge fan of software RAID, therefore if I was going to have a RAID, it would be a hardware RAID. My NAS actually does a lot more than just storage, but the important thing to me is that my data here is automatically backed up.

2. An external USB, which I backup to about every 2-3 weeks. I actually keep this drive at my parents house.

3. As another small backup for things absolutely critical.. I have a 5gig Ubuntu One account(which is free), for cloud storage. This account just has some absolutely critical things(some pictures, important documents, etc..). Given my current setup, I've not found any need to "pay" for cloud storage, as 5gigs is plenty.. but your mileage may vary. Also, in case you're curious. Even though Ubuntu is a Linux OS, their cloud storage service should work just fine w/ Windows as well.

My whole backup system, probably cost me around $400-$425.. so if I ever have some sort of loss, I'm still way ahead. Not to mention, Data recovery isnt always 100%

13. RenoF250

RenoF250

This is pictures, music, and a triplicate backup up of a bunch of stuff I have on other drives. The music and junk I either don't care about or have on other drives. ~80% of the pictures have been backed up on DVD already I just need to get the recent ones off.

It was there to be network accessible not as a backup but some of the stuff had not yet been backed up.

It is a single 1TB Seagate drive. It is not making any weird noises but the drive may be at the end of the road.

14. RenoF250

RenoF250

Thanks for the UFS explorer, I am downloading now and will give that a shot. I think I may be hosed though. The drive is speeding up and down and clicking.

It is a Barracude LP p/n 9TN154-510. Do you know if that model has f/w issues?

Thanks

15. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

:rofl:

YES!

Supplanted by writable DVD, cheaper HD's, the internets and thumb drives.

Next time, get a NAS with 2 bays. Mirror those bad boys.

16. russoj429

russoj429

look for the model number, should be a ST number, somewhere around a barcode, near the SN number.

if i can get that number i can check my records to see if it is one that is affected

17. RenoF250

RenoF250

ST31000520AS

I think it is hosed. It just speeds up and slows down making dull clicking noises. I will probably try it plugged into my computer's SATA port but I think I am hosed.

18. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

You'll have to pay for it, but if the Linux idea does not work, a possible recovery solution might be to purchase a program called Spinrite.

I have not used it myself, but I have heard it's pretty good.

http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

EDIT: I see you posted it's starting to click. Probably best you don't use this.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  19. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Go SSD and never have another hard drive crash again. Moving parts in a computer is so 20th century.

20. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

I just had a year old seagate usb drive fail on me.