Data loss on a drive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Sinister Angel, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Sinister Angel

Sinister Angel I'd Hit It!

Ok folks, heres the deal. Yesterday, one of my drives (160 gig with ~ 100 gigs of data on it) decides to start acting crazy - IE "So and so directory is corrupt and not readable" "****, I guess I'll see if a reboot helps...".

Oh yeah it did... It ran chkdsk which proceeded to roll out a list of "Deleting orphan file entry x" this of course prompted a response to which I'm sure you folks can envision.

Anyways, the system comes back up, and I go to check and see if anything was left. Well, apparently chkdsk recovered one of my isos (it recovered the name and all that), and I'm assuming another one of my iso's because of the 1.x gig size, although it named it file0000.chk or something like that.

So here I am. I know the data is there, but it's obviously not indexed. So as it is, I'm not touching this drive until I find out if I can possibly recover the data or not w/o spending the ungodly cash for data recovery. Any ideas?

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

If you have a Linux LiveCD handy, you could boot the system with it and Mount the problem drive, to see if this is a Windows problem or a physical ailment with the drive itself.

Since you let CHKDSK at it, though, it may be b0rked for good.

This is why I always use an external HDD to archive anything important. No M$ OS can be trusted, as far as I'm concerned...

Maybe a Defrag would help the drive, but only do that as a last-ditch measure.

Good luck, guy.

3. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

If it's physically on the way out, this could very well put it over the edge.

I'd go buy a External USB drive to backup your stuff and then start dinking with it.

Regards,
    Glen

4. Sinister Angel

Well, here is the thing, it's done this before (the data I lost isn't a *big* deal, but it would have been nice to keep it). So, it would do this, then work for a few months.

fastvfr might be right though, since I let chkdsk run, it probably botched it all to hell.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

What brand of HDD was that, guy?

Just so we know what to avoid!!

6. Sinister Angel

Take a guess..

wait....

wait.............

Western Digital;e

7. dwhite

dwhite