close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Data for 9mm/115gr RN FMJ/Hodgdon Universal?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by modelflyer2003, Mar 31, 2010.

1. modelflyer2003

modelflyer2003

I am new to reloading. I have just about gathered all I need. I ordered 1000 115 gr. 9mm RN DS from Berry Manufacturing. The only powder I could find local to avoid the Hazmat fee (!) was Hodgdon Universal. The reloading manual I have is Lyman 49<SUP>th</SUP> Edition. On page 340-342 is 9mm loading information. On the Hodgdon data from the website there is no listing for 115 gr. RN except lead (assuming LRN means lead round nose). Would it be safe to use LRN for FMJ RN? Does anyone have a book that will tell me what the proper load min and max load and overall length are for a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Berry</st1:place></st1:State> 115 gr RN FMJ with Hodgdon Unversal powder and CCI 500 small pistol primers?
    http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

Funny I came across this post today. I just went out yesterday and test fired some handloads using Hodgdon Universal with Berry's 115 gr. FMJ.

From Lee's Modern Reloading, they suggest for a 115 gr. Jacketed Bullet, they recommend starting at 4.5 grains of Universal and never exceeding 5.0 grains.

In the photograph below, you can see my groupings at 7 yards. Rounds were fired from a Glock 17 using a bench rest position.

Test group on the left was:

Federal cases, 4.5 grains of Universal, CCI 500 primers, Berry's 115 gr. Plated Round Nose, OAL = 1.150"

Test groups on the right was:

Federal cases, 4.5 grains of Universal, Remington 5 1/2 primer, Berry's 115 gr. Plated Round Nose, OAL = 1.150"

Each shot group had 10 rounds.

Edited to add: Lee's book has a min OAL for 115gr. Jacketed bullet of 1.125"

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Berry Bullets are not FMJ they are Plated and you should use lead data as your starting point not FMJ data. So that LRN is perfect. Work it up. A lot of people find the starting load for FMJ is also good for Plated Bullets as their middle of the road type of load.

4. modelflyer2003

modelflyer2003

Thank you, Chemcmndr and Colorado4Wheel. I appreciate your input. You have been very helpful. I can't wait to start cranking out rounds. And so the reloading journey begins...

5. MrOldLude

MrOldLude

It probably doesn't need mentioning, but don't crank out huge quantities until you work through some test loads. 15-25 rounds max. Just to know you'll cycle properly.

I started at nearly the same point: Hodgdon Universal, Berry's 115 gr RN. (Federal primers) Since I was new, I started at the minimum recommended levels: 4.0 gr of powder. They just didn't have enough power to cycle the action reliably. (3rd gen, G19) Max is 4.5 gr. When I drop the bullets of the unfired rounds and reload, I'll definitely dial it up.

6. fredj338

fredj338

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
    You'll find plated really loads between lead & jacketed. I don't load 115gr lead, but have used tghe 5gr under 115grRNFMJ. Work the load up from 4.2gr in 0.1gr increments, no mor ethan 10rds at a time.

7. modelflyer2003

modelflyer2003

Is there a problem with plated rounds? I guess I didn't realize the difference when I bought them. Do they function the same as FMJ bullets? Thanks for you help, fellas.

8. fredj338

fredj338

Yes they do, but a plated round is really s soft lead bullet w/ a very thin copper plating, like foil thin. A jacketed bullet has a much thicker coper jacket. The plated bullet will actually upset or obturate a bit, the jacketed bullet does not. So yo uload them much like a lead bullet not a true jacketed.

9. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

Talking with the people at Graf's Reloading Shop in St. Charles, MO, plated rounds are fine until you start to get the velocity above 1100 fps. Looking at the load data with Universal, the low end comes in just under that amount.

10. gforester

gforester Motorhead

I've been using BBI polymer coated 9mm 130gr bullets with 4.3 and 4.1 grains of Universal and they both function perfectly in my Glock, Beretta and Hi-power.

11. modelflyer2003

modelflyer2003

Do you think they would be safe in my Glock 26? I would assume I should get it real clean after firing 100 rounds or so to make sure I don't have a build up of lead. That's about how much I shoot (maximum) on any given trip to the range. What happens if you get closer to the higher end of the load and climb above 1100 FPS?

12. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

Without actually going and trying it, it seems like it would work just fine out of the G26. Since you don't have the extra 1.03" of barrel that the G17 has, the velocity coming out of the G26 should be lower, given the same round used in each gun. I always clean my guns after a range trip. Yesterday after shooting 60 test rounds of Unique and 100 rounds of Remington UMC, the G17 was pretty dirty. Although, being that it's a Glock, they can run for a while without cleaning.

I can't remember exactly what happens to plated rounds once you start getting above 1100-1200 fps. It was either the rounds start to obturate like fredj338 said, or they start breaking apart (flaking parts of the copper coating off). I think I remember hearing something about how people find bits of copper that flake off on the uprights of their chronograph. Those details I am a bit fuzzy on, so don't take my word for it.

13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

You will be fine. Just don't crimp them and cut the plating. Just deflare them and shoot. People have had not problems well past 1100fps doing things right.

14. modelflyer2003

modelflyer2003

Thanks for your help.