Dash Cams are Essential

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JW1178, Jun 12, 2020.

1. JW1178

JW1178

Not driving without one now that I had an experience. Was driving to work, right lane slow, left lane moving good, so I saw a big opening after this one blue truck, so I got in the left lane and accelerated to where I was about 2-3 secs from the blue truck., I did notice the big Mack Dump Truck coming in the left lane as I got in but he was at least 100 yards back, probably a considerable amount more, and he was coming fast. I'm over the speed limit and he still gets right up behind me and does this weaving thing left to right and as he is the blue truck slams on it's brakes because someone cut in front of him. I could either get closer than a comfort level or hit my brakes so I did. Immediately got hit. Driver is out of his truck, screaming all kinds of things. Dude thinks he's a total badass and a rock star. He's telling me how I'm in deep poop. Okay.

Police get there, DOT shows up soon after because they are always on that road. He starts on telling them how he was going below the speed limit and I cut in front of him and he couldn't stop. Basically saying I'm one of those insurance fraud guys or something of that nature. At this point he's calmed down and sounds like a logical decent human being. At this point it's his word vs mine because nobody else stopped. But, I have a dash cam. So the camera only shows front facing, but you can see the moment of impact at 57mph in a 55mph zone. I'd post the video, but it doesnt' show anything except you can see when we hit. Another thing it shows is that I was hitting the brakes because the truck in front of me did, and not some kind of road rage thing.

I wish I had recorded his reaction, was kind of like a bit of "the gig is up" but then he's trying to figure a way to talk his way out of it. Officer gave him an opportunity to come clean, he didn't. So instead of following too closely, he got a reckless driving/road rage ticket. The let him employer take him back instead of arresting him which they normally do. He did start whining how he has a wife and kids at home and now they are going to lose everything because of ME. Yeah, I'm the bad guy because I proved him a liar. I don't know how I'm going to sleep at night but I'm sure it will be with my dog on one side and my wife on the other.

Side note, thought my old chevy truck would be more messed up than it was, just pushed in the bumper a little, which I fixed myself with a slide hammer. No, I'm not going to sue talking about my neck and back. It's my old truck, not the one in my Avatar.

Anyways, if I didn't have that camera, who knows. My word against his.

-JCN-, nrajeff, buddyd157 and 14 others like this.
  2. kiole

kiole

I need one what brand do you have?

catman71 and Rotn1 like this.

3. JW1178

JW1178

Rove 4K. I'm going to get another one and have it on my back window for crap like this. I don't want one that is recording me. Like i have sound turned off too because appearantly I talk to myself more than i realize. lol

4. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 This used to be AMERICA........

I have a decent camera in my truck and in wife's car.
    About a year ago I was on my way to work at 0300- when I get tailed by a white car. So he cuts in front, hits brakes HARD, sit in middle of road. I pass him, he returns, all the way to work, about 5 miles. Finally he passed and I drove into the lot at work. I have a nice video file of this but declined to contact LE; what would they do anyway?
    I still have the [email protected] plate # in truck cuz I may see him someday.........its a small world.
    Check out dash cams on YouTube. Got mine from Amazon, very nice for under $100.
    I highly recommend dashcams.

5. cbetts1

cbetts1

I see them occasionally at Costco. Front, Front & Rear and 360 cameras.

They can definitely save your butt. It's amazing what people will try to do or lie about, even cops. I've seen a few where the cop is caught in a bold face lie, still writes the ticket and the judge throws it out after watching the video.

The videos from Russia and China are pretty funny, especially the insurance fraud. People run out into traffic and jump on your hood even if you're stopped.

You may catch a meteor like that one in Russia.

nrajeff, Sharkey, IamtheNRA and 4 others like this.
  6. K. Foster

K. Foster

JW, Glad you’re OK. I’ve had issues with people like that too. Everything is somebody else’s fault. Prove it’s their fault, then it’s your fault for making them look bad.
    Again, glad you’re OK, could have been worse.

catman71, JW1178 and Inyo Tim like this.
  7. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

They can help you and they can hurt you.. roll the dice if you want, but I wont.

Wasatch and catman71 like this.
  8. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

G17Jake, Andy P, JW1178 and 2 others like this.
  9. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

10. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

I might one of the cheap ones from Walmart, it does 1080, the only thing I don’t like is you can’t turn the rear display off, and it’s bright at night

porschedog and JW1178 like this.
  11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Another vote for the Viofo A119. Has capacitors, not a battery, so it holds up much better in hot environments. Run mine constantly.

wcb6092, Andy P, JW1178 and 2 others like this.
  12. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

That would be a stopper for me. I even turn my interior dashboard illumination down when driving at night, can't tolerate something bright shining in my face/eyes.

13. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

If you didn't do anything wrong how can they hurt you ?

Detectorist and Glockalong like this.
  14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It shouldn’t hurt you unless you road rage, drive distracted.... I don’t know law on self incrimination regards dash camera.... I am quite sure you can NOT destroy any evidence. I would consult a lawyer about if you have to volunteer evidence you think would hurt you.
    (But Imo drive normal. If you make a mistake, admit to it)
    I. Have made stupid driving mistakes... I raise my hand (like in Basketball to acknowledge “my fault”). Often the other driver calms down instantly.

Andy P, JW1178 and Glockalong like this.
  15. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

yeah I’ve started using one of my old go pros now because I couldn’t stand it, I’m like you I keep all my dash lights as dim as I can get them at night.

DJ Niner likes this.
  16. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Maybe add a little tombstone-target-shaped piece of black fleece draped over the back, hole cut in the top edge to thread the mount through?

knoxrocks222 likes this.
  17. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I looked into them but didn’t like that the ones then just saved the last five minutes. So what if I was not able to stop and save immediately?

Are they better now?

18. rearnold50

rearnold50

I have a thinkware F800 Pro it record both front and back. It also record while I'm parked mode. I've had it about a year now. You have to look really close to see that the car has a camera. I have a 250 gb card and I can access thru my Iphone or pull card and view on I Pad. I had it install at an audio shop. You can get alot of information on dash cams at www.dashcamtalk.com

JW1178 and faceplant like this.
  19. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

We have them in our work trucks and I wouldn’t have it any other way. They have saved many drivers. The truth is if you are in the wrong you are in the wrong and don’t need a video to show that as the evidence will usually be pretty obvious. They can help greatly the other way around though. Plus if it’s your own cam in your own car there is always a delete button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porschedog, JW1178 and shadowgunner9 like this.
  20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I would check the legality. Destroying evidence can be a huge deal. Plus to the jury it’s a automatic “he must be guilty”
    Not giving it over at scene. That’s understandable. You were just in a accident.
    I heard a story (likely not true). That a person gave dash camera of a accident they were not directly involved in. (But I assume thought they caught footage)
    Supposedly a Officer watched everything on massive data card and ticketed every traffic infraction. So suggestion was made. Copy, email relevant info only.
    I sure hope it’s not true.