dash camera recommendation

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Climbhard, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Climbhard

Climbhard

Things are just getting too weird. Now with my daughter starting to drive I’ve got an additional reason for one. I’m sure someone’s done the research. What’s a good dash camera?

2. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

I've been through 4 dash cams in the past 5 years and my favorite one is the Viofo A119. Check them out on Amazon.

3. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

Falcon Eye dash cams. A high percentage of trucking companies across the country have them installed. Look up their website an watch the videos.

4. Detectorist

Detectorist

Do they keep breaking on you or something ?

5. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Yes, the $50 ones I've been buying have (Florida heat is brutal on them). The Viofo was $100 (maybe cheaper now) and it's 2 years old and still going strong.

Detectorist likes this.
  6. douggmc

douggmc

I did fair amount of research and went with the Thinkware f770. I put it in my car first for few months, now have them in my wife's and son's cars. Reason I went with it:
    • Video quality. While maybe not the absolute best, especially since it is 1+ year old and there are newer versions of the Thinkware and other top brands, it is still better than most of the cheaper ones.
    • Mounting. It mounts flush against the windshield. No mounting arm, no hanging down. Nice and clean mount.
    • Cable management. The way the cable connections are situated on the f770 makes it ideal to hide the cables as much as possible (I'm talking hardwiring, not plugging into cig. lighter). The cable attaches via right angle connector for one thing. The other is that the f770 has the connection points in a little slot along the side for the cables and a cover over said slot ... so look is clean. The other thing is the cables come off the dash cam in a manner that makes them easily routed up and, in my case, right into the rear view mirror mounting hardware. Bottomline: cleanest cable management of all cams I researched.
    • Battery voltage sensor is built in. No need for an optional separate battery pack or sensor. As long as you wire it correctly, it will run off your car battery when car is off (in various modes of your choosing), until/if it reaches a minimum voltage level of your choosing. then shut off. What this means is it won't run down your battery if you don't drive your car for a day or more. The Blackvue and others don't come with this based on my research. You need to purchase separate module to accomplish this and the wiring is more difficult as result.
    For me, it was between the Blackvue (can't remember model) and the Thinkware f770. f770 battery approach and clean mounting approach made difference for me. Lot of people love Blackvue, but that is because they just are well known. People in the know are starting more to go Thinkware. Check out youtube. TONS of reviews.

Note that there is new model(s) ... like f800 and maybe even newer one. Prob maybe upgraded sensors, etc ... but the mounting and cable management on the f770 is still best. I would probably buy the f770 again today if were looking to buy another ... just because of that.

This is it (and from seller I bought from): https://www.amazon.com/THINKWARE-2-Channel-Sensor-Built-Vision/dp/B01IUNP8S2

I think I paid like 379 a year ago .. so price is better now. This seller on Amazon (BlackBoxMyCar) has ton of youtube videos too.

It wasn't cheap, but worth it. I tried a cheaper one of Amazon first but was flaky.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  7. DAKA

DAKA

Is there some dash cam that can be swiveled to act as a recorder if you get stopped by police?

8. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

It just depends on the mounting system, some allow the camera to swivel while others are fixed to your windshield.

larry_minn likes this.
  9. douggmc

douggmc

Some (mine does) has audio recording too. So it would catch that. Mine also is 2-channel, meaning I have it connected to rear cam also. So .. no don't think you could (at least not easily) do that with dash cam. Note that some people are using the 2-channel ones to video the interior of the cabin and occupants. Think Uber drivers who want some liability protection from customers, etc.

10. DAKA

DAKA

I have a "problem"with having an expensive one being left in plain sight....probably an invitation for some lowlife to smash a window....gotta' think this through...

11. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

12. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Mine is easily removable, it connects to a flat mount that is 3M-taped to the windshield. Just have to slide it off the mount and pull the plug out.

13. douggmc

douggmc

larry_minn, Wake_jumper and medic2258 like this.
  14. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Viofo A119 as mentioned is kind of the standard for the cheaper dash cams. I bought the upgraded Street Guardian. Supposed to be better quality, comes in around $200. here is an example video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXAQiDwTkps&feature=youtu.be

Gotta run out the door, be back to provide more info if needed.
    Nothing exciting in the video, (lightening strike around 1:20), just showing quality of video. Dark, overcast skies.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  15. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

What are the legalities if there is an accident?

Would LEOs have to get a court-order to see the video if you didn't want them to see it?

Caver 60 likes this.
  16. Tvov

Tvov

Just bumping this up.

Any new thoughts on dash cams? I might be getting one for Christmas, wife wants to know which one to get me.

I would like one that also has a rear camera. My truck is an F250 crewcab, so the rear camera would be a decent distance away - I hope within strong wireless range?

17. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

Nice video... probably could (should) mute it though. And... if that driver upsets you... you wouldn't be happy around here. I had two drivers cut me off yesterday. I guess they thought I was going too slow (was doing 10 over) passed me and then cut in front so they could be first at the stoplight (which was red) :steamed:. I need a dash cam.

18. DAKA

DAKA

Passed you then HARD BRAKE while YOU (me) rolls up behind them, no braking, and just accelerates away....happens all the time....A LOT OF MORONS ON THE ROADS

19. Andy P

Andy P

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019